Self-funding v direct route

Hi forum,

I’m about to take my theory tests this week. I’ll then be looking to take some lessons followed by my practical test. I plan to self-fund all of this. My question is this. I assume that self-funding is the way to go in order to get a well-paying first job- but how much more can I expect to earn compared to going through a company that pays for all my training (followed by a full-time driver job)?

Sorry if this has been asked before!

What companies offer training apart from Stobart?

Please read my post that I started trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 7#p2824886
The last reply will give you the info you need .
As for other companies that pay for your training there are quite a lot of themDHL ,XPO Gist Culina Armstrong but they all take 12 months , which is way to long to wait I think Turners will train you within 14 days , so will contact them once I have passed my CPC 1 and 2 .

rmc3267:
Please read my post that I started trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 7#p2824886
The last reply will give you the info you need .
As for other companies that pay for your training there are quite a lot of themDHL ,XPO Gist Culina Armstrong but they all take 12 months , which is way to long to wait I think Turners will train you within 14 days , so will contact them once I have passed my CPC 1 and 2 .

many thanks

For me the best way to go is fund yourself.
If you don’t enjoy your job then you are stuck. Why work for minimum wage when you can get your license and start earning £14-17 an hour straight away.
Say training costs you £3500. You’ll probably lose that in first year whilst being a trainee compared to new starter.
If the only reason is you don’t have the cash then consider a interest free credit card or some trainers do finance? Once you’ve got your licence then you’ve got freedom. Join an agency and pick up some shifts. Many companies are offering work to new starters.

Best of luck.

Tlgamble:
If you don’t enjoy your job then you are stuck. Why work for minimum wage when you can get your license and start earning £14-17 an hour straight away.
Say training costs you £3500. You’ll probably lose that in first year whilst being a trainee compared to new starter.
If the only reason is you don’t have the cash then consider a interest free credit card or some trainers do finance? Once you’ve got your licence then you’ve got freedom. Join an agency and pick up some shifts. Many companies are offering work to new starters.

Best of luck.

Why would you assume all company’s that pay for training will pay minimum wage?

Newstart90:

Tlgamble:

Best of luck.

What are they paying you while they train you, as I’m guessing it won’t be a full timers wage.

Newstart90:

Tlgamble:

Best of luck.

Have you seen any that pay really well? Apologies if there are. I wouldn’t if I was a employer as you’re basically taking on a apprentice.