Gillingham Test Routes and advice

Hi All,

next week I am carrying out my test in Gillingham. Reversing on Monday and the on road on Thursday.

First off has anyone carried out their LGV test in a truck and drawbar combination in Gillingham Kent.
Secondly any tips would be great.

I know there is loads of threads on here and sorry again if people are repeating themselves.

Thank you in advance all.

Sorry, no knowledge of Gillingham. But hope it goes well.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

yes dont be this guy on your test

Pete S:
Sorry, no knowledge of Gillingham. But hope it goes well.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Thanks Pete

TruckDriverBen:
yes dont be this guy on your test

Lol great advice thanks

I did my artic test in Gillingham about 3 years ago, it’s a ■■■■ place to drive, many tight roundabouts (for a new driver) Has your trainer shown you the area?

DAF_Daily:
I did my artic test in Gillingham about 3 years ago, it’s a [zb] place to drive, many tight roundabouts (for a new driver) Has your trainer shown you the area?

Thanks for the response we’re starting Monday so I haven’t driven around it yet myself. I’ve driven around a bit of it in the car and yes the roundabouts im not a fan off at all

I did my artic test in Gillingham about 3 years ago, it’s a [zb] place to drive, many tight roundabouts (for a new driver) Has your trainer shown you the area?

Fair point, well made. But look at the positive. If the roundabouts are as tight as I understand, then it becomes easier in a way as it’s a matter of simply using all the road. Medium size roundabouts can, IMO, be more difficult as decisions have to be made about how much room to use.

At Sutton in Ashfield, for instance, there is a roundabout near the test centre that is so small it’s necessary to steer the unit into the road BEFORE the one you’re aiming for and then get it out again. This way, the trailer will clear the roundabout. Having said that, examiners aren’t worried if the roundabout cops it as it is so tight.

Good instructors will always show you the tricky bits (and every test centre has them) so relax and enjoy the training.

Hope it all goes well, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

Fair point, well made. But look at the positive. If the roundabouts are as tight as I understand, then it becomes easier in a way as it’s a matter of simply using all the road. Medium size roundabouts can, IMO, be more difficult as decisions have to be made about how much room to use.

At Sutton in Ashfield, for instance, there is a roundabout near the test centre that is so small it’s necessary to steer the unit into the road BEFORE the one you’re aiming for and then get it out again. This way, the trailer will clear the roundabout. Having said that, examiners aren’t worried if the roundabout cops it as it is so tight.

Good instructors will always show you the tricky bits (and every test centre has them) so relax and enjoy the training.

Hope it all goes well, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Well done the reversing bit this morning total ■■■■ up could barely reverse failed that. Then the examiner said try the couple and uncouple cocked that up also.

It was originally booked on for 15:12 then changed to the morning so started a driving lesson around gillingham from. 7:00 to 9:15 then waiting in the centre to get the test didn’t help my confidence driving around gillingham at peak traffic at those roundabouts I did nothing right.

Then as I said salt to the wounds failed the off road so going to try again tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that. But, if I understand correctly, you only started this morning. What possessed anyone to think you’d pass 3a with hardly any training?

Sounds weird to me tbh.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Pete S:
Sorry to hear that. But, if I understand correctly, you only started this morning. What possessed anyone to think you’d pass 3a with hardly any training?

Sounds weird to me tbh.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Sorry I didn’t clear that up correctly Pete I was training for reversing last Thursday and Friday and by Friday was pretty well able for it including uncouple and couple.

Then this morning went for a driving lesson for 2 and a bit hours followed by the 3a test and failed. I don’t think doing an on road driving lesson helped before the test. I dint know and my driving on the road wasn’t great either so all in all feel pretty crap

That makes a lot more sense! Dont beat yourself up. Better luck next time.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

Thanks Pete

Pat T:

Pete S:

Thanks Pete

Good news passed the reversing today so only 4 hours driving tomorrow and maybe an hour on Thursday so let’s see how it goes from here.

Great to hear you’ve got the reverse under your belt.

All the best with going forwards.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Test passed today bag of nerves but went well 7 minors. Onwards and upwards thanks for
The comments here but also to my instructor

Stay safe all

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif