Training Academies or pay myself

Hi , currently just started to study for CPC 1and 2 module , have my medical this Saturday.

Been looking at Eddie stobart who will train you if you have paid for your medical and completed CPC 1 ,2 , I think it said 30 hours of training then your test plus 4 weeks of mentoring.

Turners also apparently will train you and have your test done within 14 days .

So what are your thoughts, I can pay for the training myself , but did not want to pass myself then get a job and just get the keys chucked at me .

I also live in Stoke and know that Eddie stobart have a depo their , but I don’t mind travelling 30 to 40 minutes for the right job .

Thanks in advance

Remember most the times training is not free, if stobbart or anyone trains you, you will have a wage cut to repay training cost having said that stobart is a really good company if your just starting off IMO very relaxed but the pay is terrible 11ph works out plus they have all these hidden bonuses yes 11ph but good for a noobie

Some people will point out that you’re tied into your employer if they pay, or they’ll take the cost out of your salary. I don’t agree, I think there’s a lot to be said for having a job to walk into as soon as you pass. You will know the salary they are offering, just compare that to job adverts locally that actually accept new pass drivers.
I’d rather have only the possibility of having to repay my training costs because I wanted to leave than actually having to pay the costs up front.
But if the reality is 2 years on £11 p.hr. rather than £17 p.hr. that would be rough, you will have to do the research to see what the case is.

I applied for a company that was paying you through the course simply for the guarantee of a job, they take £20 a week untill you half paid half of the cost back then you are free to leave.

Best thing if you got the money pay for it yourself that way it will stop hassle, at least you know you don’t have to listen to the company keep going on that the have paid, company’s don’t give a lot away these days there will always be a catch someware.

suefrank:
Best thing if you got the money pay for it yourself that way it will stop hassle

You’re speaking my language - be your own person and don’t be beholding to anyone, that way you can walk anytime it suits you - anything else is just not worth the grief.

Bloke at my work passed 3 years ago. This is first job he could get without experience.

I spoke with Stobart today. You sign a two year contract. Weekdays are £10.60 per hour. Nights were £13. I think weekends were £16, and obviously the £15 meal allowance per shift. If you leave before two years you have to pay for the cost of your training back.

Jordanw2712:
I spoke with Stobart today. You sign a two year contract. Weekdays are £10.60 per hour. Nights were £13. I think weekends were £16, and obviously the £15 meal allowance per shift. If you leave before two years you have to pay for the cost of your training back.

Ok thanks for the info , did they say what kind of timescale they could get you in to train you .

rmc3267:

Jordanw2712:

Ok thanks for the info , did they say what kind of timescale they could get you in to train you .

They told me it’s first come first serve, so they go down the list, could be weeks, could be month’s. Once you get a training date through it takes 7 days. Then when you’ve passed you’ll be mentored for 4 weeks apparently until they send you out on your own.

There’s more money elsewhere.

Maybe better to fund yourself and earn more.

Licence cost iro £3500

Difference in pay iro £3 per hour = iro £150 per week difference.

So the training cost is recouped in less than 6 months.

And all that is worst case reasonable scenarios.

Interest free, or low interest credit card is the way forward for many.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk