Another broker ceases trading

According to Trust Pilot site, New Wave aka HGV Driver has ceased trading.

There has been a trend for years of these “schools” (in inverted commas as they are NOT schools) setting up, taking money and ceasing to trade. To be clear, these “non schools” dont own or operate any vehicles or training centres and neither do they employ any instructors. They are simply working as an agent for trainers who, for whatever reason, choose to trade with them rather than build their own client list. The “non schools” are normally based in a rented office crammed full with sales people whose mission is to sell as many courses as possible. Often, their industry knowledge is little better than scanty.

But there is an easy way to spot “non” schools. They all profess to have national coverage - at least 35 centres. And they wont arrange for you to visit “their” centre. Finance is always attractive and, once they have your details, you will be badgered into booking.

So, put simply, just dont do it! Book only once you’ve visited the centre OR on rock solid recommendation. Some, for instance, will use the forum sponsor. That’s fine as the reviews are faultless and the sponsor simply cant afford to get it wrong for obvious reasons!

As always, buyer beware.

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

It will come back under a new name …

They also tend to have bogus offers, like “free ADR” but only at their “head office”, which is nowhere near where you live, and it excludes the exam costs, so you’re not saving anything.

I’ll confess I was a victim of a broker many years ago, their “package” included a “free Class 1 course and test” on condition that you passed your CPC within a year of passing your Class 2.

This being very much pre-2009 meant TM-CPC of course, which you had to pay for, study and pass yourself. There were only four exam sittings per year, and a long wait (at least two months) to get your results, so the likelihood of achieving this was negligible.

Even if you had managed to claim your “freebie”, they only offered wag & drag, not artic. Add to that a very poor instructor who bawled at his candidates like they were squaddies on the parade ground and spent half of your tuition time stopping off for bacon butties at the layby greasy spoon.

Sadly, I wasn’t aware of Trucknet when I was suckered in, otherwise I might have been forewarned.

No different sadly to agencies and transport companies that don’t own a single vehicle but take work and farm it out to other companies for lower rates.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk