Pre - practical and test advice

Hi all.

I registered with my HGV training company which I think is a broker (not sure if I should name it). I am based in the North East.
I took my theory and passed in November, I also did my driver CPC then too. It’s taken the company and perhaps a delay in testing from DVLA all this time to get me in for the practical lessons and test, which is next month.
In the meantime I think I have probably forgotten fair bit of the theory, specifically drivers hours. EU and domestic I get mixed up in for example.
How much theory will I need to pass the test or is it all part of the lessons.
My company has had pretty much zero contact with me throughout this nearly whole year since I started this and seems to be to be a company that takes the money and has no interest in you passing or not.

Can anyone recommend what to refresh on if anything>? Cheers.

I am doing C+ E back to back, with I think just one test although the school haven’t provided me with much information, on if it is one test or two.

You won’t need knowledge of driver’s hours etc for your practical training.
But go online and study the current Highway Code. Folks lack of understanding of HC is quite often scary!
Pity you’ve gone with a broker but it’s too late to worry about that now.
Best of luck with it all, Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

There’s a drivers hours video (along with a lot of good other links ) in thissticky post in the newbie section
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? … source=app

LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only)

youtu.be/H3_U_eoo9o8

You can mostly forget about GB rules because all trucks with tachos are under EU regs (that might be an oversimplification but I don’t think so for your purposes)

As Pete says you won’t need Hrs for your test. There will be 5 “show me tell me” questions in the test like how would you check the oil level youtu.be/CL2vborW908

As Pete says (that happens a lot [emoji16]) learn your highway code. If you follow it to the letter you will pass guaranteed.

You will have 2 tests called 3a (which is reversing and un/coupling) and 3b (the on road practical driving)

Good luck!

Tip - turn the rear view mirror in your car so you cannot use it and have to rely on the side mirrors

And there’s no reason not to name the school/broker provided only true statements are made.

Might save other newbies from a similar scenario.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

Thanks for those replies. I have already been turning up my rear view mirror but at times I am sure that following cars can see that and wonder why, especially a tail gating one!

I’'ll watch those vids and study the highway code some more. I was limited to a list of companies as my work were offering to pay for it. The company is Hughes. Apologies if they are not a broker. You guys are the pros, and I’m sure you’ll tell me either way :_)

Hughes isn’t a broker.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

These guys?
hughesdrivertraining.co.uk/

Yes they certainly do have many many locations (eight between the Tyne and the Tees alone!) but I had assumed they have some kind of franchise set up. Pete will correct me if I’m wrong but TTBOMK Brokers don’t use liveried vehicles (except in adverts).

Hughes could do with promoting their selves better, when I did my Class 1 a few years ago, these guys were right on my doorstep but I didn’t even know they existed so went with someone else miles away.

I am certain that Hughes take lots of work from brokers but I apologise if I am mistaken

So far as I know, Hughes is a privately owned company with maybe more locations than any other. Not a franchise business .

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

OK I apologise to Hughes, thanks guys Day 1 today

How did it go? Pete [emoji16][emoji16]

Hi Pete and all. In a nutshell I seem to be ok at driving but terrible at reversing.
I drove the rigid for 3 lessons then tried the HGV in the yard trying to get the hang of the reversing. Although I’ve managed to get between the cones and at the right distance twice I then get confused and often steer the wrong way at the beginning or get it right but not taking the lock off early enough or then get confused again and steer the wrong way.

Something in my brain is not clicking despite watching the instructor and more YT videos. I think if I can’t get the hang of it tomorrow I will do the class 2 test instead.

By all accounts I don’t really want to tramp often nor do nights / or long days, so I probaby wouldn’t want to do class 1 over the long term anyway, but it would be nice to get the licence to give me that option if a decent job came up.
I’m driving the HGV on the road ok apart from the odd kerb clip which I did not do again on a return and the instructor has taken me on some difficult junctions to do. He tells me you cannot look in your mirrors every 5 seconds but look as much as you can.

It would be good to get the class 1 but theres a danger I will come away not passing anything at all!

It’s a pity when the reverse is a nightmare. Its clearly too late to change to another trainer so I suggest CAT C might be a sensible compromise.

Whatever you do, good luck with it.

Pete S[emoji16][emoji16]

It would be good to take advantage of the recent changes, splitting the reverse into a separate test. In theory, you could do a reverse test every day (obviously better to learn it first so you have a chance).

Your instructor should be able to teach you the reverse so that you can do it by rote. Line up as far left as possible between A cones. Right hand down 360 degree turn and reverse until you see the marker (2:40 in this video youtu.be/1RQOWQJzMow). Then left hand down until the cab is behind the trailer. etc. And do you have a telltale on the mudflap for how far back to go? Is that not how you’ve been taught?

Hi guys I passed with only a few minors on the class 2.! This was despite not knowing the built up areas the examiner took me for 45 mins of the test. A lot of my lessons where in a completely different town that I’m more familar with, not the roads around that test centre where I took it. I was also learning with different instructors with different methods, in different trucks, some relying on markers, some with a reverse camera to judge the ‘bay distance’, instead. I think I did bloody well to pass despite all this!

It has dawned on me that as I did a two week course that was C and C+E back to back, shouldn’t I have been taught for 3 days in the class 2 then tests on day 4, then the next week lessons on class 1 then tests again on day 4 for that?
If I could have got the class 2 out of the way first, then the reversing may have clicked for me on week two with less pressure. As it was, I took the one and only test in the class 1 and they were letting me try the class 1 lorry on day 2 or 3. I then spent the rest of week 1 trying to get the reversing right before spending week 2 day 1 doing the same, then giving up.

It this a normal way to conduct a back to back C and C+E course?? Ie 1 test only and you have to choose if you want it on class 1 or 2?

getthetruckoutofhere:
Hi guys I passed with only a few minors on the class 2.! This was despite not knowing the built up areas the examiner took me for 45 mins of the test. A lot of my lessons where in a completely different town that I’m more familar with, not the roads around that test centre where I took it. I was also learning with different instructors with different methods, in different trucks, some relying on markers, some with a reverse camera to judge the ‘bay distance’, instead. I think I did bloody well to pass despite all this!

It has dawned on me that as I did a two week course that was C and C+E back to back, shouldn’t I have been taught for 3 days in the class 2 then tests on day 4, then the next week lessons on class 1 then tests again on day 4 for that?
If I could have got the class 2 out of the way first, then the reversing may have clicked for me on week two with less pressure. As it was, I took the one and only test in the class 1 and they were letting me try the class 1 lorry on day 2 or 3. I then spent the rest of week 1 trying to get the reversing right before spending week 2 day 1 doing the same, then giving up.

It this a normal way to conduct a back to back C and C+E course?? Ie 1 test only and you have to choose if you want it on class 1 or 2?

The way I done car to c+e was a 10 day coirse, day and a half on class 2 then rest on the class 1 with test on the 10th day.

It is weird you got the choice to either do the class 2 or class 1 test.

pass c.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

getthetruckoutofhere:

The good thing is you don’t need to worry about it now. All that is behind you. You passed!!! [emoji106][emoji16][emoji119][emoji323][emoji322]

I would say there’s no need to consider a back to back C and C+E course. You should be able to decide which you want to go for with a free assessment drive and then just stick with that. Either C, and that’s all you want to do or maybe for a few months at least, or straight to C+E.

Thanks for the congrats, Yeah I’m happy I passed and I see what you mean about the assessment drive then you make your choice to do class 1 or 2, but my point is that I was already on and paid double for the both class 1 and 2 back to back, so I feel I was short changed. Or am I wrong and the training industry doesn’t work like this?

Ie if I wanted to go and do class 1 now I’ll have to pay another £1700 if I want the 4 days training plus test fees etc