The multiple fails club

Let’s have the stories of your multiple fails and eventual passes.

I’ll go first.

It’s embarrassing and demoralising but to date I have failed my Class 2 three times. This process is harder than I expected and is messing with my head.

Test 1: Mindset: Just do it.
I wasn’t ready. My training school have a one size fits all approach. If I had to do it again I’d have discovered TruckNet earlier, done more research, and I would also have requested 1:1. Anyway, I knew it would have been a fluke if I had passed, and I wanted to deserve my pass. Although you only get 1 serious fault documented, I got 4, all for control/steering at roundabouts.
The examiner made one of them a minor and I got two other minors. I mounted a kerb, didn’t go far enough left, then went too far at one, completely overcooking a left turn. The examiner said sarcastically that a small car could have got through the gap. He seemed a bit ■■■■■■ off that I’d wasted his time. At least all my errors were in one area. I knew what I had to do: seriously up my mirrors game.

Test 2: Mindset: What will be will be.
Had a good pre-test drive. ■■■■ it, same examiner. Again, two serious faults, both on roundabouts, one for use of mirrors, one for not going left enough again. The thing is, I have my instructorsp’s words ringing in my ears “stay away from the roundabout”. I don’t know how to do that and keep my rear end out of the left hand lane!
The examiner said I didn’t see the artic behind me in the left only lane while I was in the right hand lane going straight on. I did see it, but he’s right, I didn’t use my mirrors once I was on the roundabout, so I’ll never know how badly I cut the artic up. I can’t believe it was as bad as he made out. I almost maxed out my minors this time, including getting 5 for going too slowly and “holding people up”. The examiner was incredulous again, giving his feedback in a “what the ■■■■ do you think you are doing here?” tone.

Test 3: Mindset: I HAVE to do this.
I had a really good and long pre-test drive. My instructor assured me again there is nothing wrong with my driving and “if you drive like this…”. Felt like the mirrors penny had finally dropped. Also made a big effort not to go too slowly and actually look at the speedometer from time to time. Different examiner, phew. He had a much more pleasant and reassuring manner.
The test route was unfamiliar in parts but nice, all was going well. I was on it. As I turned left at a roundabout, clearing the kerb nicely, I knew we were on the way back to the test centre and I said to myself “don’t ■■■■ it up now”.
A couple of minutes later the examiner gave me a direction and said “just stay in this lane all the way down”. I heard him and I saw the signs, but my brain, which said “you should go in bus lanes” over-ruled my eyes and ears and in I went. “Not in here” he said, with it being an exception bus lane, so I was straight out again after mirrors and signal, but it was too late.
5 minutes later back at the test centre I failed on “response to signs”. How embarrassing. I now understand what “overthinking” means. I also got 2 minors for going too fast this time, plus a few others. I could tell he was gutted at having to fail me. He was nice to me at least and gave my feedback in a supportive manner.

My instructor can’t work me out, he puts it down to nerves, although I don’t present as nervous. I do feel uncomfortable though. Both examiners have tried to put me at ease. I think it’s fear. It certainly is now, as I approach test 4 and wonder how or even will I break the cycle.

The driving test can be hit and miss sometimes you can be a perfect driver then youll overthink its normal best to go in with a attitude i can do it, im a winner obviously your thrid attempt and more will just add to nerves but just get on with it change your mindset

failing at a roundabout once, is like PTSD as your second attempt you buggered up again just relax and forward plan and yes over do your mirrors for the 45min or w.e but honestly forward plan mirrors check timing of bus lane if you can use then use it you cant dont. if the bus lane was near the test centre then its your fault your training school should cover most the test route so the roundabout etc you should know which lane is needed before arriving

best of luck

Only three fails? Pah! I failed mine 5 times! Kept going back for more until I got what I wanted. I did pass class 1 first time though.
Have you considered going for class 1 instead and seeing if that brings a change of fortune?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I failed three times, passed at the 4th attempt.

First was at a pedestrian crossing where a group of teenagers were messing about, group continued passed so was off guard and one of them decided to make a run across… stopped fine but got a serious for slamming on and bad anticipation.

Second I went straight over at a round about from a left only turn lane, and third I did a similar trick to you and moved into a bus lane where I shouldn’t, I realised my mistake and moved over pretty much immediately but was told “ you won’t get away with that in London” and failed.

4th attempt I switched off from the worry and got to the point where I just thought ■■■■ it! What will be will be…. To be honest I should have wore my glasses for the tests not because of legal requirements but just to sharpen things up but with the mask mandate and being a sweaty stressed out mess they immediately steamed up.

Anyway… the only time I passed was when I’d stopped with the overthinking… whether or not I will do the same trick at class 1 only time will tell but I’m likely gonna go down a pass protection route next time as the extra three attempts doubled my training costs which really quite annoyed me!

Good luck with it all mate, at the end of the day it will all come good in the end.

Hi,

4th time for me as well, nerves can really make it difficult, to just think clearly while you are doing it all because somebody is sat next to you and judging you. I am from Aberdeen, but travelled down to PSTT todo my training so the drives up and down a loooooong time to overthink things as well, my first training got cut short by the bojo Christmas lockdown of 2020 in the November, first test was december then after the early 2021 lockdowns next test was in May, then July and and Finally got it done August

Test 1:
I felt really good going into it, start of the test went really well then we got to a level crossing so had to wait…and wait 5minutes later got told turn off the engine …10 minutes later examiner said that been sat here for 15 minutes and have 30 minutes of test left and not enough time todo it, was about to ask what that meant for the test… and the barriers went up lights changing so off we go again…i’m sweating, heart pounding maybe we are going to get it done after all,
did 2,3,4 pull to the left so I knew test was still on, sat there thinking they are being nice, stop stressing you got this… a mile or so back to test centre and still have 1 pull over to the left todo and not many spaces to do it so thinking I have done something, then she said pull over to the left at the next safe place and I saw one so indicator on and into it…then ■■■■ thats a bit close to the junction you utter ■■■, look at the space just past that car in front… examiner is looking around then told to go off again and back into the yard…
Examiner was obviously very annoyed at me, do you know why you failed, and I knew it was that last pull over to the left and I though it was where I had stopped but they where happy with that but I had pulled over very quickly and for the car behind not a fair amount of signal… or something to that effect…feedback was you had done great and thrown it away at the last minute, don’t worry you will easily smash it next time. I was gutted, and Thinking back I know what I did, the previous pull over to the left I was told to pull up behind a car.so I saw a truck sized spot to stop and a car and dived at it.

Test2:
Had a decent enough practice drive, but really felt nervous on it all and not long into junction to turn right with 2 lanes and I head for the 2nd one, then thinking NO you idiot as most of the way over dove back into the 1st one without checking mirrors and there was a car approaching, and on the way back was in the wrong lane left only lane, got told to move over to the proper one didnt notice the lights where changing and slammed the brakes on… Thinking back I should have taken time of work before it, had been a very stressful 5 months beforehand, and a lot of overthinking my last fail.

Test3:
Pre drive was fine, nervous as hell, badly timed pull out at a junction turning right and a van was turning into the junction so I had started to pull out, van was still turning but a car behind him was coming very quick and had to slow down so a fail.

Test 4:

This time I approached things a little differently, I had worked previous tests around work, and even a week away with the other half, so no real time to prepare mentally, I do by nature overthink things a lot which doesn’t make it easy to let that get in the way of something I know i can do, and my instructors where all happy with, the mind goes foggy and things just go wrong.

So I travelled down a couple days early, and just relaxed for a day or so beforehand get some decent sleep in, I didn’t think about what job i might get just do the test, pre test practice went fine, and go on with the drive, kept the window down deep breaths and go through it passed 2 minors, hesitation at junctions

It doesn’t matter how many times it takes to pass, you will get there just take it one step at a time

wow @SquireT i know pete is a good trainer and whatsnot but travelling all the way down i would a) caught a flight

no chance would i travel more then 50miles even though you get accommodation each to there own i guess

Yes it was a long drive down, but I like driving and its a fantastic drive down through the borders and over the A66, and it was a great break from being at work

Really useful post. Took me a while to get into the grove of driving the bigger vehicle. Passed ‘C’ with a handful (and I mean full) of minors. Got 2 for undue hesitation, I thought that now the examiner is telling me to get going (& on multiple occasions) I must have failed. So even if you think you have failed stay focused. This could easily have been me and I have C+E still to do.

driveress you are getting closer. My thoughts echoed TruckDriverBen, sounds like you need more practice focused on the test centre route, so you know to avoid bus lanes and the like. So close… you are making progress and will be the safer driver because of it at the end.

Edit: Not a multiple fail, but thought it was relevant.

I took a shunt on my C+E reverse (decided in advance that I probably would) and I clipped a kerb at a tight left hand turn at a small roundabout (just 2 minors). Passed okay.

Was told afterwards by my instructor that the turn was never on test routes. I would have had to be on the other side of the road coming out of the turn to avoid the kerb (traffic approaching roundabout). Kind of glad I held it together as you can imagine that I thought I had failed throughout the rest of the drive.

Goes to show that you should always continue and drive as well as you can, because you never know.

If in doubt take a shunt, but now the reverse is done and dusted well before the road drive so at least that stress is taken out of the day.

I had the considerable advantage of driving 7.5 tonne for years before doing HGV. The system will pass you when you are ready and luck does come into it as well.

both class 1 and 2 i kept getting told by the instructors i wasnt using the mirrors enough. both times i passed i put my door keys in my sock as a reminder the time i didnt other than the compleat shambles i made of the whole thing i was also marked downfor mirrors

Thanks for all your replies. SquireT & Trucker Jimbob, I have joined the 4th time lucky club :smiley:

I told no one about my test today - I didn’t want to have to say I’d failed again. I just wanted the next piece of news I gave to be positive. I didn’t even tell my other half!

I found out when I got to the training school that my usual instructor wasn’t available today, so I had someone else for my pre-test drive, and the vehicle was late back so we didn’t have long. I didn’t let that stress me out though.

I felt calmer today. My mindset, for the first time was “I can do this, I am ready”. I was still nervous, don’t get me wrong, but something had changed inside. I believed I deserved to pass and could achieve it. I believed I knew what I was doing.
I managed, mostly, to think about just taking the examiner for a drive. When I caught myself wondering where we would be going and trying to second guess the test route I stopped myself and just drove to the conditions and tried to keep the overthinking nonsense out of my head.

I had another new examiner and he was nice. I got 6 minors but he said they were “inconsequential” and only detailed two of them to me.
There was only one hairy moment for me and that was when I had to merge right to follow the M5 and no bugger was letting me out. I indicated in very good time. I almost had to say to the examiner that we can’t follow the M5 :slight_smile: but finally someone let me out. I swear at least 6 cars whizzed past me.
At the end he agreed that they were ■■■■■■■■ and he said some days everyone lets you go and some days no one does.

Those words though, at the end…I turned off the ignition and before I could even take a breath, he just said it. It was an awesome moment, as you will all know :smiley:

Let Driveress’s experience be a lesson to you all. Don’t overthink it, don’t stress about it.
Be confident that you can do it, if you couldn’t do it your instructor wouldn’t put you up for it. To a certain degree, failures reflect upon the instructor, so they’re going to be damned sure you’re capable before sending you.

So Driveress, you’re being kicked out of the club now, eh? :laughing:

Well done to Driveress.
I passed both my car, and HGV I, (straight in, no rigid licence) first time.
Before I`m accused of boasting, my earlier motorcycle test was on the fourth attempt, so I too qualify for membership of this club. :smiley:

Bike test was in the days we had no compulsory professional training, just ride until you reckon you`re OK, then pay for a chance at passing. Clearly I had more confidence than ability.

Car test I was nervous, touched the kerb on reverse around a corner, so, convinced I had failed, relaxed and did OK.

Truck test was OK. I was over taken by an impatient car driver in a bad place, but was pointedly checking my mirrors, saw his attempt and backed off straight away. Took a few weeks to get a first truck driving job, but that one kept me busy for several years.

Star down under.:
Let Driveress’s experience be a lesson to you all. Don’t overthink it, don’t stress about it.
Be confident that you can do it, if you couldn’t do it your instructor wouldn’t put you up for it. To a certain degree, failures reflect upon the instructor, so they’re going to be damned sure you’re capable before sending you.

I’ll be tested soon, i’m absolutely convinced that the failure will be biblical, i don’t think i’m mentally prepared to have more failures after that, i might just drop it, had enough crap in my life already.

Azteka:

Star down under.:

I’ll be tested soon, i’m absolutely convinced that the failure will be biblical, i don’t think i’m mentally prepared to have more failures after that, i might just drop it, had enough crap in my life already.

With that attitude you probably will fail. Better of going in with a positive attitude.

Keep going you will do it, just keep calm and take each stage at a time. I passed Car, Advanced and class C first time.
CE failed first caught a kerb on a tight right, second time screwed up the reverse before leaving yard. Third passed! Each time on CE had same examiner, same as my C. Which helped a bit, I think! Nice they saw me pass at least! Thanks to PSTT.
Just need to tackle D and got em all!!

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Passed my class 2 first time and class 1 couple of years later first time. I used a company called JCoates they are very good and friendly bunch and will only send you for your test when you are ready! I was bricking it both tests legs shaking on the accelerator and brake pedals and all that! As others have said even if you think you have muffed it up… keep going and drive the best you can as you never know it may only be a minor.

Failed my first C+E test on this roundabout by being in the rightmost lane going right then switching lane to exit properly. This was in the first 5 minutes. Exited on a merge lane and I knew I had messed up but I carried on regardless, ended up with 3 minors and one major for lane discipline. Even though I failed I wasn’t too disheartened because I knew I could do it and tried again a month later and got this roundabout right this time and passed with 4 minors.

It’s not multiple fails but I guess the moral of the story is even if you think you messed up just carry on and do your best.

Took me 3 attempts,

1st had a few things like being in the wrong lane and getting undertaken. I knew I failed it early on so just carried on for the experience.

2nd attempt, I drove over the kerb 2mins into it and had a perfect drive after, I was raging but was confident I could drive the thing. I still hit kerbs on the bus after 4 years and as long as no one is standing there it’s no big deal.

3rd the examiner I got was a cool old guy. I told him I wasn’t familiar with the area even after the 5days driving about so he give me wee pointers about what lane to be in. Pulled me up at the end about stopping in cycle boxes at traffic lights but no one likes cyclists anyway so crushing one is fine :laughing:. I think people that get it in their head they need to drive perfect to pass are doomed to fail. Drive steady and safe and you’ll pass.

Three attempts for me also. First and second times were both on roundabouts, hesitating and then pulling out on people flying over the roundabout. My biggest struggle when training and throughout the tests. I didn’t feel like I’d had enough time studying them. Third time lucky I guess, but the third drive was also the most difficult! Found that Kalms tablets helped massively.