New pass and Next assessment

Hi,

So I passed my Class 1 practical on Friday :smiley: and after a weekend of applying for jobs I have (thanks to a friend) an assessment day with Next a week on Thursday, I’m already ■■■■■■■■ myself as it looks like I’m being assessed as much for a job as I already have been to get my CPC! So I’m just wondering if anyone knows the specifics of what the assessment might entail?

The email says a vehicle roadside check, driving assessment on public roads, manoeuvring exercise, couple/uncouple.

The vaguest one and the one I’m most scared of is the “manoeuvring exercise” I’m guessing this is probably a reverse?

Has anyone worked for Next and had to go through all this and could give me a bit more information?

chriswvtr:
Hi,

So I passed my Class 1 practical on Friday :smiley: and after a weekend of applying for jobs I have (thanks to a friend) an assessment day with Next a week on Thursday, I’m already ■■■■■■■■ myself as it looks like I’m being assessed as much for a job as I already have been to get my CPC! So I’m just wondering if anyone knows the specifics of what the assessment might entail?

The email says a vehicle roadside check, driving assessment on public roads, manoeuvring exercise, couple/uncouple.

The vaguest one and the one I’m most scared of is the “manoeuvring exercise” I’m guessing this is probably a reverse?

Has anyone worked for Next and had to go through all this and could give me a bit more information?

I would assume most driving assessments are the same. I had one with DHL and a friend had one with ASDA both like for like. It will consist of a written theory test, a couple/uncouple of trailer, a reverse onto a bay (good side and blind side) then a drive on the road.

MeatCannon:

chriswvtr:
Hi,

I would assume most driving assessments are the same. I had one with DHL and a friend had one with ASDA both like for like. It will consist of a written theory test, a couple/uncouple of trailer, a reverse onto a bay (good side and blind side) then a drive on the road.

Thanks, how long was the drive on the road? They’ve said nothing about a written theory test thankfully.

chriswvtr:
I passed my Class 1 practical on Friday

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

ROG:

chriswvtr:
I passed my Class 1 practical on Friday

Typically an assessment drive will last for 30 to 45 minutes, it’s not the same as a driving test, all the assessor is looking for is a safe and responsible drive so take your time and be safe.

On every assessment drive I’ve done I’ve been told that if you mount a kerb on a bend or corner it’s game over so be careful.

It’s been my experience that assessors tend to be friendly and will chat with you while you’re driving, though as a new driver you may want to concentrate on your driving.

Well done on the cat C+E pass and good luck with the assessment.

Well done mate, good luck.

The assessment is just to see you can drive and that you haven’t just pinched somebody’s licence. It’s a lot easier than the test.

open unit bonet if you dont know ask assessor check the ‘coolant’ and ‘oil’ even though these are shown on dashboard just check it

make sure you check the trailer break before getting underneath

learn how to do manual entry if you dont know already time spent doing theory test till entering cab will be other work

Didn’t get the job, messed up my reverse and never even went on the drive. :frowning:

chriswvtr:
Didn’t get the job, messed up my reverse and never even went on the drive. :frowning:

To be honest, this was the most likely outcome for a new pass being assessed on a real-world type reverse, as opposed to the reverse left exercise done on test.

I went for an assessment as a fresh class 1 pass and didn’t pass either. The experience was handy and I was back at the same place within 4 months having learnt on agency shifts.

Bread and butter is being able to put it on a bay between two trailers and being able to get turned effectively. When you are new, get out and look a lot and don’t bother about bystanders looking on.

It takes a while to piece it all together, but you will get there.