Cost of going straight to C+E Class 1

Under the new rules that you can now go straight to class 1, Is the training working out cheaper given that the course length will be shorter?
I’m going to be pricing it up soon and was wondering what you guys had been quoted under the new guidelines?..

PSTT is offering 30 hours training + test fully inclusive for £2475 taking Trucknet discount into account.

Free accommodation if you are more than 70 miles from NG19 6PL.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Spots:
Under the new rules that you can now go straight to class 1, Is the training working out cheaper given that the course length will be shorter?
I’m going to be pricing it up soon and was wondering what you guys had been quoted under the new guidelines?..

Yes. In my case I was expecting £2000 for the full package provisional, theory, CPC and class 2. Then another £1500 for class 1.
With the changes, I’m going direct to class 1 for £2500 all in. So a £1000 saving for me.
Just make sure you really grill any potential provider on more than just the money.
List of questions here.
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? … source=app

Pete S wrote:I’d love to know what you get for £1750.

6 days training plus tests.
What is a “day” (1:1, 2:1, breaks, how many hours)
What facilities are on site? (reversing area, spare vehicle)
What vehicles on fleet?
Is Pass Protection on offer?
Are the instructors qualified and registered? And is there a reserve instructor in case of Covid etc
Is the training centre accredited?
Can they carry out the 3a test on site?
Can they carry out Mod 4 test on site?
What is the verifiable pass rate?
Are they established in delivery of B to CE?
Who are they?
If all these come back positive, it’s a bargain.
Pete S [emoji38][emoji38]

Be aware that some include the Mod4 in their pricing and some don’t - that can add an extra £2/300.

Availability anytime soon is hard to find - some are quoting March or April at the moment.

If location isn’t important be prepared to travel. I got booked in somewhere with a great reputation for February but I’m traveling over 200 miles for it.

8 (half)days over two weeks for about £2.5k - I have family nearby who I can visit over that weekend in between [emoji16] Some quoted closer to £3k and they were the less reputable places that could book me in for January!

Sent from my moto g(10) using Tapatalk

So is it not totally stupid to still go down the class 2 route first and do them separately?
It will work out cheaper initially for me and should gain some class 2 experience before jumping to class 1…

Spots:
So is it not totally stupid to still go down the class 2 route first and do them separately?
It will work out cheaper initially for me and should gain some class 2 experience before jumping to class 1…

Absolutely! Just look at job adverts near you and also training providers.
Class 2 jobs might not pay that much less?
Providers might get you in sooner for class 2 over straight to 1. Then you can start earning sooner
I would have done that if I didn’t have grandfather rights and able to work C1 for decent money.

I agree, nothing wrong with doing Class 2 first.

There’s an automatic assumption that Class 1 pays better (not necessarily true) and it is somehow “a better type of work”, which I’d also say was not necessarily true.

This morning I watched a guy manoeuvering his Class 1 with urban trailer from a busy main road into a residential street just so he could handball foodstuffs into a OneStop shop, while the schoolrun drivers were being “less than helpful” with his need for space… I did not envy him his days work - I’d rather be driving a bin wagon down a tight alleyway with a 90 degree dogleg to get both in and out.

I disagree, I think there’s a misconception that people are going for class 1 to dismiss class 2. I’m going for class 1 simply because it’s a more direct route that’s become available. When I pass I’ll be happy to drive either class 1 or class 2 depending on what is available. I was actually considering booking a class 2 course when I was struggling to find availability for class 1 courses.

I don’t think it’s any different to choosing a direct access course for riding a big bike. Some will choose to do the test for the lower powered bikes first.

silberrucken:
I disagree, I think there’s a misconception that people are going for class 1 to dismiss class 2. I’m going for class 1 simply because it’s a more direct route that’s become available. When I pass I’ll be happy to drive either class 1 or class 2 depending on what is available. I was actually considering booking a class 2 course when I was struggling to find availability for class 1 courses.

I don’t think it’s any different to choosing a direct access course for riding a big bike. Some will choose to do the test for the lower powered bikes first.

Complete sense.
Anyone who feels capable of passing the Class 1 test should do so, then choose their preferred job type afterwards.
Similar scenario to passing a test in a manual then choosing to drive an automatic.
No point in restricting your options if you have the capability to drive any vehicle.

Apart from the widespread mistaken assumption

Is the training working out cheaper given that the course length will be shorter?

I’ve been quoted £2800 for 10 days training inclusive of test fee.
Waiting to hear back from another, will be interesting to compare

Stuart1:

Surely that isnt much cheaper than doing them separately?

It is a bit cheaper but don’t take my word for it, Pete S quoted some precise figures within the past week.

The point I was trying to make is that a lot of people are assuming that car to artic is a one week course, and therefore isn’t going to be any more expensive than either C on it’s own or C+E on it’s own. This is completely wrong.

Spots:

Stuart1:

Surely that isnt much cheaper than doing them separately?

Basically you are only saving a test fee and hire of the vehicle for missing C out,

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

I did 10 hrs for class 2 and 14 hrs for class 1. I’d expect to fit them all in one week…

Trainees can expect whatever they want, but they might find it hard to find a training school to cater to their demands. Quality costs.

Spots:

I’ve just done an assessment drive for 90 mins straight to class 1, I felt comfortable driving it after about 25 mins which was mainly road positioning at junctions and roundabouts (especially mini roundabouts), I drove an automatic so gears weren’t an issue though you can manually switch up/down on a stalk if required which I used a few times. The most often called instructions were “slow down” approaching junctions etc even though I thought I was going very slow ! When we got back to the yard I spun the truck and reversed it into a parking bay (first time) and repeated that twice. The instructor was constantly guiding me particularly on taking up road positions and speeds etc

I was advised I will need 5 days training including the test, only time will tell if that will be enough !!!

It was a thrilling experience which I really enjoyed and am now really looking forward to the training.

By the way, when I got back into my admittedly modest car to drive home, it felt like I was driving a Porsche :smiley:

Glad you enjoyed it and I hope the training/tests go well for you.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
Glad you enjoyed it and I hope the training/tests go well for you.

Thanks alot Pete !

I will need 5 days training including the test

Out of interest, how many hours will you get? Is it 1:1 or 2:1 training? Dare I ask the price? And does the price include VAT and test fee? (incl 3a)

Is the 3a prep and test included in the 5 days?

I’m trying to get a feel for what different trainers are offering in these new times.