Worst timing for new test system

I booked a course to do my class 2 in March. Due to my job I had delays in getting bits done but have finished my modules 1 and 2, and have my practical and module 4 booked in for January, which is great. Or it would be if the change to doing the class 1 straight away hadn’t just come in.

If I’d known they would bring it in I’d have skipped straight too it but have already got the class 2 booked through a company, so no changes able to be made unfortunately. I’m very irritated at the prospect of having to pay for the class 1 down the line when I could’ve waited a few months and found out I could’ve skipped straight to it!

Rant over

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Can you not just cancel, email DVLA to get your provisional licence upgraded to include C+E then book a new training course? You should get a refund if you cancel this far ahead of your current course

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That sounds very harsh if your training provider has asked for all the cash up front and won’t allow changes!
Mine asked me how much I wanted to pay at the time of booking and accepted £500 (which covered my week’s CPC that I’ve had) and allowed me to change my class 2 booking ( which was the very week before the change) to a class 1 next month.
Who have you booked with?

Hmmmm… I think there’s some important information missing from your post and a fundamental misunderstanding of the new situation with regard to truck training

The price you’ll have been charged for your Cat C alone will be considerably less that you would have paid for Car-to-artic.
Have a look at forum sponsor PSTTs posts on this subject, cat C alone is somewhere around £1600 whereas car to artic is around £2,500

NO ONE is going to let you do car to artic for the price of Cat C alone

Peter, feel free to quote my post and correct these prices, I’m just working off the top of my head

Zac_A:
Hmmmm… I think there’s some important information missing from your post and a fundamental misunderstanding of the new situation with regard to truck training

The price you’ll have been charged for your Cat C alone will be considerably less that you would have paid for Car-to-artic.
Have a look at forum sponsor PSTTs posts on this subject, cat C alone is somewhere around £1600 whereas car to artic is around £2,500

NO ONE is going to let you do car to artic for the price of Cat C alone

Peter, feel free to quote my post and correct these prices, I’m just working off the top of my head

I appreciate the cost may be different, but I can’t see how it would be so much more. Previously, when the options were to go from car to cat c, or car to cat c to cat ce, then there was the difference of 2 separate training courses.and 2 separate practical tests so the cost difference would be significant. However, now, the options are car to cat c or car to cat ce. Either way, it is one training course for a week and one practical test, so I fail to see where a 1000 pound cost difference comes in. I presume that cat ce lessons may cost a bit more than cat c lessons, but a grand more?

heyholetsgo:
Either way, it is one training course for a week and one practical test,

That’s where you’re going wrong, car to artic is not a one week course.

PSTT have posted prices and info, that’ll give you an idea of what to expect, use the forum search function for posts by Pete S and you’l see what I mean

Zac_A:

heyholetsgo:
Either way, it is one training course for a week and one practical test,

That’s where you’re going wrong, car to artic is not a one week course.

PSTT have posted prices and info, that’ll give you an idea of what to expect, use the forum search function for posts by Pete S and you’l see what I mean

Ah ok then fair enough, thanks for the heads up! I’ll have a search for Petes info on the forums

No worries, happy to help, there’s a lot of misinformation circulating about the recent changes, including the idea that the reversing & coupling/uncoupling manoeuvre have been removed from the test (they haven’t)

heyholetsgo:
but have already got the class 2 booked through a company, so no changes able to be made unfortunately.

That sounds very unreasonable - have you booked via a broker by any chance?

heyholetsgo:
[ I presume that cat ce lessons may cost a bit more than cat c lessons, but a grand more?

It’s still a grand saving going car to cat CE and missing out the C

Ignoring the Trucknet discount (10%) the cost of car to artic with PSTT is £2750 (30hrs) Cost of CAT C is £1500 (14hrs). So more than twice the training, in a much more expensive vehicle to operate and all this for less than twice the price.

I also recommend spending £395 on Pass Protection which covers the costs of 3 retests for 3a and 3 retests for 3b. Small price for peace of mind.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
Ignoring the Trucknet discount (10%) the cost of car to artic with PSTT is £2750 (30hrs) Cost of CAT C is £1500 (14hrs). So more than twice the training, in a much more expensive vehicle to operate and all this for less than twice the price.

I also recommend spending £395 on Pass Protection which covers the costs of 3 retests for 3a and 3 retests for 3b. Small price for peace of mind.

Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

Ah ok! Thanks for the info Pete, I’d certainly look at going to you guys for the class 2 once I’ve finished the class 2

Edit: look at class 1!

Two class 2’s won’t make a class one [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
Two class 2’s won’t make a class one [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Oh yeah I’m an idiot, although if they bring in self driving vehicles maybe I could supervise 2 at once?? [emoji16]

heyholetsgo:

Pete S:

Ah ok! Thanks for the info Pete, I’d certainly look at going to you guys for the class 2 once I’ve finished the class 2

I know how you feel ! I have emailed about 10 training organisations and only 3 bothered to reply at all, found a firm who advised on the theory etc I applied for my provisional in June (2021), did my medical in early July, passed the Theory and Harzard perception in mid July then booked an ADR Course passed that, did the CPC attendance course on legal obligations so I am in a position where I have done everything except the practical training! This has been bumped until March and nobody else has responded except PSTT who are charging around £1,000 more than my current offer and also in March.
I guess the recent media frenzy is behind it all, I suspect that the Government are paying for people “out of work” and the Trainers are likely charging them more meaning everybody else is being bumped (I dont this for certain of course) !

You will find that most of the bigger trainers are having nothing to do with the govt scheme - and that’s also the case for PSTT. Put simply, it’s not a good commercial proposision.

As for PSTT being £1000 dearer, I would love to see the alternative quote. PSTT is £2475 all in for car to artic. Add £395 Pass Protection if you wish. Then get free accommodation if you’re more than 70 miles away.

And one final detail, PSTT reputation is second to none.

If you can honestly get all the same for £1475, fill your boots! Before booking anywhere, it’s going to pay to visit and compare. There is very little that matches the PSTT offering. And, of course, cheapest is rarely best.

David DeHavilland:

heyholetsgo:

Pete S:

I know how you feel ! I have emailed about 10 training organisations and only 3 bothered to reply at all, found a firm who advised on the theory etc I applied for my provisional in June (2021), did my medical in early July, passed the Theory and Harzard perception in mid July then booked an ADR Course passed that, did the CPC attendance course on legal obligations so I am in a position where I have done everything except the practical training! This has been bumped until March and nobody else has responded except PSTT who are charging around £1,000 more than my current offer and also in March.
I guess the recent media frenzy is behind it all, I suspect that the Government are paying for people “out of work” and the Trainers are likely charging them more meaning everybody else is being bumped (I dont this for certain of course) !

Well I’m sorry but if you have an offer way cheaper …why haven’t you booked it then? Or even put the training school on here then we can all have a butchers at it.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

Pete S:
You will find that most of the bigger trainers are having nothing to do with the govt scheme - and that’s also the case for PSTT. Put simply, it’s not a good commercial proposision.

As for PSTT being £1000 dearer, I would love to see the alternative quote. PSTT is £2475 all in for car to artic. Add £395 Pass Protection if you wish. Then get free accommodation if you’re more than 70 miles away.

And one final detail, PSTT reputation is second to none.

If you can honestly get all the same for £1475, fill your boots! Before booking anywhere, it’s going to pay to visit and compare. There is very little that matches the PSTT offering. And, of course, cheapest is rarely best.

Hi Pete, I was quoted £2,750 (I forgot about the discount) against £1,750 but it isn’t the money really its the timing, being amongst the best will obviously lead to queues. I am moaning about my experience of the whole process and not any particular training provider except of course those that didn’t reply at all ! Please don’t take it as a criticism of PSTT, you are probably the victims of your own success !

I’d love to know what you get for £1750.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

rearaxle:

David DeHavilland:

heyholetsgo:

Pete S:

Well I’m sorry but if you have an offer way cheaper …why haven’t you booked it then? Or even put the training school on here then we can all have a butchers at it.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

I have booked it, it was then bumped from Jan to March, the provider is happy for me to try and find Training elsewhere if I can get it sooner… problem is I can’t.