First time lurker, looking for advice

Hello and nice to meet you all,

I have just completed my medical and sent off my D2/D4 forms, It’s now just a waiting game now before i can take theory/hazard.

This will be a new career for me, although i like to think i can drive, driving a HGV will be brand new and its a challenge I’m looking forward too.

Before i buy it, can anyone recommend the official DVSA guide to driving goods vehicle or one similar so i can get stuck in with a bit of reading.

I was also looking for a bit of advice on what type of HGV job to look for once i have passed. I have been looking on indeed and Hermes are taking on new drivers, i feel like working for a company like hermes is a good start and eventually after years of experience i’d like to gain my passes in carrying hazardous materials.

Any tips, recommendations or advice is much appreciated.

Boba

Before i buy it, can anyone recommend the official DVSA guide to driving goods vehicle

I will. And dont forget to study the current Highway Code. It’s free online.

Once you’ve passed your theory tests, take great care with your choice of trainer. With the new testing regime the difference between the good, the bad and the ugly is getting greater.

I recommend the forum sponsor who will do everything for you and offer free accommodation if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW.

Any questions, fire away, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I live in Newport, Wales. I have chosen a local company called JW driver training Ltd.

They have offered me the complete package starting from medical all the way up to Class 1 test.

When i eventually do pass what type of work do you recommend?

They have offered me the complete package starting from medical all the way up to Class 1 test.

This is a reasonable expectation from trainers.

I live in Newport, Wales. I have chosen a local company called JW driver training Ltd.

Local is good. Make sure they have correct reversing facilities before committing. If they’ve got their own test centre, better still. (Avoids waiting for tests at a public centre and you also get to test on the same area on which you trained).

When i eventually do pass what type of work do you recommend?

That depends on what you want, to a point. If you want easy work, supermarket distribution is a great starting point. I’m not familiar with local industry in your area but there could be an option there. If you dont have family commitments, you can earn well on tramping (away most of the week). But, although there is an increased demand for drivers, you may have to settle for what you can get, at least to start with.

All the very best with it, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Once again Pete thanks for the helpful reply.

I live very close to Portbury and Avonmouth docks in Bristol so there are lot’s of different types of driving jobs it’s just trying to figure out which ones to go for.

Appreciate the help again!