Car to Artic - the first?

So, today I passed my C+E, first time. Am I the first in the country to go from car to artic since the rules changed?

For background: I didn’t set foot in a Class 2 rigid, I have never driven anything bigger than a VW transporter, never towed anything ever, and I’m a 5’ 2" female.

This is my first post, and I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted questions in this forum, and to those who have taken the time to answer them! I spent a lot of time researching everything both before and after I found this forum, which helped with knowing what to do, when and how.

With your help I managed to understand how it all works, and navigate the process of booking my theory and hazard tests (3 hours online trying 9 different test centres!) while waiting for my plastic to arrive, and upgrading to provisional C+E, all at the same time as having a training slot ready and waiting for me to go straight to C+E from a car…

I was so lucky to get a training provider with a cancellation (next available date was next year) that he kept open for me despite things getting very close to the wire on whether I’d get everything done before the course started. And I’m very, very grateful that he took a punt on me wanting to go straight to artic without having to do any training in a rigid first.

So for those of you out there wondering… it can be done! (Now that I’ve passed, any help on where the good jobs are…? :wink:)

Licence applied for: 16 September
Provisional entitlement online: 3 November
Theory & Hazard Perception: 8 November
Upgrade licence to C+E: 15 November
Course start: 17 November
C+E passed: 24 November
CPC periodic start: 13 December

Congratulations

Who did you train with :question:

PASSING CE ARTIC.jpg
PASSING CE WD.jpg
LPLATE.jpg
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Certainly the first on this site that I can find :smiley:

Well played

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Excellent news and congrats.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Definitely amongst the first and quite possibly the first. Whichever it is congratulations on the pass and all the best for the future.
Well done, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Congratulations! :smiley: :smiley:

Well done katten!!

In case you didn’t notice ROG asking, let’s have a shout out for your trainer! How did you manage to get a booking 2 weeks after your provisional? ( I guess it was booked before?)
Whereabouts are you? (Might help for job suggestions) is there anything you particularly want to get into?

stu675:
Well done katten!!

In case you didn’t notice ROG asking, let’s have a shout out for your trainer! How did you manage to get a booking 2 weeks after your provisional? ( I guess it was booked before?)

She did say she managed to get a cancellation in the post.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on passing! Quick question…

I have just had my medical and have now sent my D2 and D4 forms back off to the DVLA.

Are you able to do your theory test before receiving plastic provisional back?

Thanks, Boba.

No. But you can book them once the entitlement shows online.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

WELL DONE!!!
I am looking at going the same route, how did you find the training? by that I mean did you find it easy/hard? Was there any other preparation?
Thanks
All the best, Simon

Great work. Well Done and congratulations [emoji3060]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your congrats… I’m still pinching myself it actually happened!

I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to give a shout out on here, but my trainer was Paul Franks of Euro-Mark Training in Dodworth. I’m based in Sheffield. (So any tips or advice for distance/day/night/weekend/tramping work around here would be gratefully received)

I was also extremely lucky to get funding to do the course, and that they believed in me enough to let me do direct to C+E. Shout out to everyone at Universal Credit Sheffield!

ROG:
Who did you train with :question:

Certainly the first on this site that I can find :smiley:

Thank you for my fireworks! :smiley:

stu675:
Well done katten!!

Whereabouts are you? (Might help for job suggestions) is there anything you particularly want to get into?

Thanks Stu!

I’ve mentioned my trainer (Paul Franks of Euro-Mark Training, Dodworth) on another post, and I’m in Sheffield, wanting to get into distance/day/night/weekend/tramping work. (don’t fancy multidrop or handballing).

I had done a lot of research, called a lot of local companies and even put together several spreadsheets on timescales, costs, options, etc, prior to speaking to Paul, and had already applied for provisional, started studying for theory & hazard P. When I spoke to him on 20 October, he had literally just got a cancellation for enough days to fit in the extended C+E course, and he must have thought I seemed determined and enthusiastic, because he kept it open for me (otherwise next available date at the time was January). We kept in touch the entire time, and I updated him on every step, so that we knew where we were. I’m so grateful that he did that for me, and trusted me enough to put me straight in the C+E. (and then didn’t panic after that first day! :laughing: )

simon1138:
WELL DONE!!!
I am looking at going the same route, how did you find the training? by that I mean did you find it easy/hard? Was there any other preparation?
Thanks
All the best, Simon

Thanks Simon

Yes, as I mention in another reply here, I had done a LOT of preparation! I also watched loads of You Tube videos on all sorts of lorry related things, checked this forum every day for help and info, as well as keeping up with the government changes as they went along. When I was driving I watched lorry drivers to see what they did. Having said that, take everything you see online with a pinch of salt, because you don’t want to go into your practical training with fixed ideas that might hinder what your instructor wants you to do.

I really enjoyed the practical training, and loved driving the artic! It might seem easy, but the first time you get out on the road, it’s a heck of a lot of info to take in. I was exhausted the first few days from all the concentration (and don’t worry if you have off days - just keep listening & learning, and it will come). The biggest thing is to listen to your instructor, and DO WHAT HE SAYS! He will be assessing you every minute, and he’ll adjust his instructions/comments/advice as you get better/make mistakes/get confident, etc. Don’t forget to ask questions if you don’t understand why you’re doing something.

Another top tip - go with an instructor you respect and get along with and whose style of instruction suits you - it will give you the best chance of success. It’s a lot of hours to be stuck in a cab otherwise!

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Did you find this site before you started the process :question:

Congratulations on passing, good luck with the job search

ROG:
Did you find this site before you started the process :question:

Hi Rog,

No, I didn’t find it until a while after I had already done a lot of research, including phoning 8 or 9 training providers, spreadsheeting the timescales, providers, costs and requirements, and researching options for funding & the gov changes. I had already found a doctor to do my medical and applied for my provisional. I think I found this site around the time I needed to choose an online/classroom provider for my theory & hazard p test studying.