Cat C advice

Hi all

New to the forum after lurking a while.
After being made redundant early last year at the age of 50 I decided to go do my HGV cat C training. I passed the test back in December but because of the lockdowns and so on I didn’t get to do my CPC until mid July. Since then I have applied to a ton of jobs with no joy. Had one interview earlier this month, and a driving assessment which went well, despite it being in a 6 speed manual after only driving autos. Anyway I’ve heard nothing from them so guess they went another way.
I have had an agency offering a bit of work here and there but I am reluctant to pack in my full time job on the off chance that agency work will keep me working enough. In people’s experience would you say there is enough on agencies for new drivers to take the leap? Just wondering what other people’s experiences have been in getting enough work.

Also as an aside. The interview I went for, the guy said they get new pass drivers to sign an agreement to cover the insurance excess in the case of accidents. Is this a common thing for new drivers?

Bongos:
Hi all

New to the forum after lurking a while.
After being made redundant early last year at the age of 50 I decided to go do my HGV cat C training. I passed the test back in December but because of the lockdowns and so on I didn’t get to do my CPC until mid July. Since then I have applied to a ton of jobs with no joy. Had one interview earlier this month, and a driving assessment which went well, despite it being in a 6 speed manual after only driving autos. Anyway I’ve heard nothing from them so guess they went another way.
I have had an agency offering a bit of work here and there but I am reluctant to pack in my full time job on the off chance that agency work will keep me working enough. In people’s experience would you say there is enough on agencies for new drivers to take the leap? Just wondering what other people’s experiences have been in getting enough work.

Also as an aside. The interview I went for, the guy said they get new pass drivers to sign an agreement to cover the insurance excess in the case of accidents. Is this a common thing for new drivers?

Look across at “Agency and Accumalated Fund” in the Pro Driver Forum for a discussion on who should be liable for vehicle insurance etc.

Will do.
Thanks

If you`ve responsibilities chucking in a full time job to go on agency might not be wise. By definition they are less stable.
There are some drivers on here who have been doing agency work for decades and are happy with it. But remember that they now regular and trusted workers, not an unproved newbie at the bottom of the phone list.
Some areas are better than others, and some lines of work too.
Multi delivery to corner shops is normally short of drivers. Good foot in the door at the least, some love it and stay on. Some hate it. Permanent might be available in some places.
Tell us approximately where you are and maybe someone will have an idea more specific to you? Good luck!

Thanks for that. Yeah that was my thinking on chucking it in for risking on an agency. I’m in the West Midlands/Black country area.
Again cheers for the reply

It might but easy but approach agencies about weekend work
Work one day every other weekend to keep in with weekly rest regs. Gets you some experience, see if you like it. Many supermarket RDCs need weekend drivers usually via agencies and have rigids. Best of luck

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

I did think about that as an option, but I’ve been offered a job today, something I wasn’t expecting. So fingers crossed I can get some good experience.

Thanks for the advice