LGV/PCV CPC Queries

Hi all,

I have only just registered on Trucknet but I have been viewing for a while, trying to research CPC info. Hopefully someone can give me some advice about CPC queries I have for my particular circumstances as I haven’t been able to find the answers so far.

I passed my car test in 1985 so I have grandfather rights and have C1 and D1 entitlements.
I passed my Bus (Cat D) licence in 2000 but I never did the CPC training when it came in but from what I understand, having passed Cat D before 2008 means I can just do the 35 hours CPC training and I am able to work as a PCV driver.
I have kept up my Cat D entitlement and last did the medical and renewed my licence in 2018.

I obtained provisional Cat C entitlement when I obtained my Cat D provisional entitlement and I have started the process of obtaining my Cat C licence and I have passed the LGV Hazard Perception and Theory tests in October this year.

Due to the recent Government changes, I am now considering just going straight to doing the Cat CE training and test and I have sent off the email to DVLA and received the auto reply which gives me provisional CE entitlement. I have previous experience with large agricultural vehicles, buses and a short period driving a 7.5t removal lorry.

My query is, should I do CPC parts 2 (Case Studies) and 4 (Practical Demonstration) to add to the CE training and Test to obtain my CPC and if I do this, will, as I suspect, this CPC only be valid for LGVs and not PCVs? Or should I just do the 35 hours CPC training in subjects that cover both LGV and PCV so that the CPC I gain from this will be valid for LGV and PCV? I want my CPC to be valid for both LGV and PCV.

Will training providers (Glasgow will be the nearest to me) be likely to be set up for arranging CPC Part 4 Practical Demonstration tests with CE training/tests (as up until the recent changes, CE candidates would already have done their CPC via their Cat C Training/Test) or do you just do Part 4 with a Cat C lorry anyway?

So far, I have not been able to find out any specific requirements for CPC training to enable it to cover both LGV and PCV vehicles.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can give.

Cheers

MacNic

MacNic:
I passed my car test in 1985 so I have grandfather rights and have C1 and D1 entitlements.

You only need 35 hours dcpc but make sure all those hours are approved for both LGV & PCV

No mod 2 or 4 tests for you

35 hours of periodic CPC training can be done and dusted within a week and there is no waiting time as it can be done online

There is currently around a 4-5 week wait for a test date for the module 2 case studies (and it’s pass or fail)