J coates - st albans

Looking at Training providers and one nearby is J Coates in St Albans in Herts

Has anyone got experience with them ? They look pretty good on face value but a search of the forum brought nothing back , can anyone give any feedback good or bad? Thanks!

I haven’t used them, but I have spoken to them extensively, and visited their site to have a nosey at the fleet.

Last Monday, I drove around visiting the forum recommended schools, such as Ace in Sawbridgeworth and J Coates in Frogmore.

Compared to the forum sponsor, they all seem behind the curve and are still unsure on how they are going to run the B to C+E course, however, J Coates seemed really behind the curve, they couldn’t tell me how they think they’re going to run the course, they couldn’t tell me anything really, just that they were waiting for the gov. to post the rules and regulations, as he was adamant they wouldn’t let you jump right into a C+E without at least 3 years experience on B and/or being at least 25 years of age. I asked all the recommended questions from the forum guide and he seemed more interested in complaining about how dangerous/expensive it is to insure young drivers on a HGV. (Bare in mind, he didn’t ask my age or driving experience, I am 26 and have been driving vans for a living for 4 years, if that’s at all relevant)

Ace seemed a bit more clued up, and the only thing they couldn’t tell me was the amount of hours required and how much the course is going to cost, because they hadn’t set anything in stone yet, however, they at least advise to call back Friday onwards, as they will have more information then. I haven’t called yet, but I will.

I personally, didn’t find the conversation with J Coates helpful and was just put off by it, and will likely book with the forum sponsor or, if I want to go local, go with Ace. Even though I live in How Wood and J Coates is within walking distance.

Hope this helps, although it doesn’t really answer your question.

I’m worried now, because that’s who I planned to go with.
There was one guy on the phone who just didn’t have a clue about the C+E changes and as you said, was ranting about the insurance.
I need to rethink going with them because if the office knows nothing about the legislation and can’t advise you, then they can’t do their one job…

Good to see that newbies are asking the right questions in regards to the new laws

As all those new laws are on the Gov website it does seem incredible that some training providers are not clued up on them :exclamation:

When I contacted Bains Driving School (Hayes) to enquire about their price and course length for the new straight to c+e course, I was given such an abrupt and rude response, that I was quite taken aback and this was apparently the owner with whom I was speaking.

Seems, there are more driving schools out there, who have not put together a course for the new c + e and get offended should anyone phone up to enquire :unamused:

As you can imagine, I will not be contacting them again …

HYG:
When I contacted Bains Driving School (Hayes) to enquire about their price and course length for the new straight to c+e course, I was given such an abrupt and rude response, that I was quite taken aback and this was apparently the owner with whom I was speaking.

Seems, there are more driving schools out there, who have not put together a course for the new c + e and get offended should anyone phone up to enquire :unamused:

As you can imagine, I will not be contacting them again …

How funny, I just came back to this thread to post a similar update.

I called J Coates in the morning about booking the Cat C training, I was told I would get a call back very shortly.
Nothing.
I called again just now, spoke to some really abrasive individual, who scoffed that they are booking for January now, which is fine with me, but he continued to be rude and shouty, so I hung up.
I’m always extra polite on the phone so I know it wasn’t my manners.

Let’s see if Ace in Sawbridgeworth will take me on, and if not, Chequered Flag in Hoddesdon.

Ah, as to the C+E course - no one seems to know what to do with it. One school advised me that they are expected to do the reverse exercise but no one checked with them whether they have sufficient yard room to do that, and to hold fire with bookings for a few weeks because no one knows anything for sure.

:unamused:

Ah, as to the C+E course - no one seems to know what to do with it. One school advised me that they are expected to do the reverse exercise but no one checked with them whether they have sufficient yard room to do that, and to hold fire with bookings for a few weeks because no one knows anything for sure.

So you must be amazed to hear that I conducted the first 3a test for Peter Smythe Transport Training - the forum sponsor - this morning. Everything in place. All sorted. Ran like clockwork.

Dont listen to the hype. Go to a school that actually knows what they’re talking about.

01623 555661

Good luck all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
So you must be amazed to hear that I conducted the first 3a test for Peter Smythe Transport Training - the forum sponsor - this morning. Everything in place. All sorted. Ran like clockwork.

Dont listen to the hype. Go to a school that actually knows what they’re talking about.

01623 555661

Good luck all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I wish I could but there is nothing solid in vicinity! And your company is 150 miles away lol so all out of luck.

And your company is 150 miles away lol so all out of luck.

When we have folk come from the Western Isles and Cornwall, I would suggest you’re local! St Albans is just over 2 hours away. Free accommodation. 10% discount for Trucknet users. (Makes it £2475 all in. Pass Protection, optional, £395 covers up to SIX 3a tests or THREE 3b tests. )What more do you want me to do LOL.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Hi mate, I used J Coates back in 2019 and that was for my Class 2. Couldn’t fault them from start to finish I also went for the starter pack for the theory training and the training they supplied was great.

On the other hand I also went to Peter Smythe in 2020 for my Class 1 and couldn’t fault them either.

It’s all personal choice I believe but I would go with either of the two and I can recommend both with first hand experience.

Feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There seems to be a running theme at the moment with some trainers not offering a great level of customer service. Perhaps this is because most are fully booked for the next few months and not overly worried about bookings in the future.

I contacted one that shall remain nameless a few months ago with regards to a cat CE. They wanted a deposit but were unwilling to give me a specific date.

I think with the new changes in place with regards to reversing area requirements, we’ll see some of the smaller operators exit the market.

Pete S:

When we have folk come from the Western Isles and Cornwall, I would suggest you’re local! St Albans is just over 2 hours away. Free accommodation. 10% discount for Trucknet users. (Makes it £2475 all in. Pass Protection, optional, £395 covers up to SIX 3a tests or THREE 3b tests. )What more do you want me to do LOL.

You’re a great salesman. I just called in to check the dates and might go with you guys in February. :smiley:

I think with the new changes in place with regards to reversing area requirements, we’ll see some of the smaller operators exit the market.

There’s no reason for this to happen. DVSA are still providing all the tests so the small operators can still go to the public centre and get tests. I guess that, in time, it may become more difficult to access 3a tests as DVSA really want and need to concentrate on delivering 3b tests. So that might cause an issue at some point.

But it will become clear exactly who has got correct facilities and who hasn’t. It is unlikely that a trainer with proper facilities would not be able to conduct the test.

There is nothing wrong with being a one man band - - - I used to be one many years ago. A one man band can still offer the service but cant test his own candidates. But it’s legal for him to reach an agreement with any other registered trainer to conduct tests for each other. And that’s viable provided there is a proper reversing area accessible to them which is also registered with DVSA.

More than ever, it behoves the buyer to research thoroughly and ask the right questions.

And, as always, cheapest is rarely best.

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

There’s no reason for this to happen. DVSA are still providing all the tests so the small operators can still go to the public centre and get tests. I guess that, in time, it may become more difficult to access 3a tests as DVSA really want and need to concentrate on delivering 3b tests. So that might cause an issue at some point.

But it will become clear exactly who has got correct facilities and who hasn’t. It is unlikely that a trainer with proper facilities would not be able to conduct the test.

There is nothing wrong with being a one man band - - - I used to be one many years ago. A one man band can still offer the service but cant test his own candidates. But it’s legal for him to reach an agreement with any other registered trainer to conduct tests for each other. And that’s viable provided there is a proper reversing area accessible to them which is also registered with DVSA.

More than ever, it behoves the buyer to research thoroughly and ask the right questions.

And, as always, cheapest is rarely best.

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

As you’ve indicated, it’s more likely market forces will see the end of the small one-man band rather than legislation. While it’s still feasible to operate, I suspect customers would prefer to use companies that can offer the whole package. The need for an additional assessor for both part 4 and now the 3a alongside a reversing area are going to push some out and if not, put them at a disadvantage in terms of marketing their training packages.

Not a bad thing necessarily, just my assessment on how the direction the industry is moving

I don’t know what their current plans for new training are but in Essex area my son has passed first time C & CE this year and spoke highly about his training provider.

From what he said and their general reputation I’d suggest a call might be worth it

Neetsneets:

Pete S:

You’re a great salesman. I just called in to check the dates and might go with you guys in February. :smiley:

How far along are you? Have you passed your theory?

RikkiDLGV:

Neetsneets:

Pete S:

Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

How far along are you? Have you passed your theory?

I got theory, hazard, and case studies done. And just booked with Peter Smythe for early March :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Nice, I only sent my D2/D4 last Friday. Waiting for my provisional so I book my theories, I will then be booking with PSTT once I have passed them. Just hope I can get there as soon as possible, as it’s clearly already building up, if you’ve just booked for early March.

Can I just ask your age and what you did before? Just curious as to who else in the area is looking for their HGV licence. Most blokes I see on this forum seem to be considerably older than me and are leaving careers to jump in a lorry. I’m 26 and have been doing Van driving for a few years. Feels like it’s uncommon for lads my age in this industry.

RikkiDLGV:
Nice, I only sent my D2/D4 last Friday. Waiting for my provisional so I book my theories, I will then be booking with PSTT once I have passed them. Just hope I can get there as soon as possible, as it’s clearly already building up, if you’ve just booked for early March.

Can I just ask your age and what you did before? Just curious as to who else in the area is looking for their HGV licence. Most blokes I see on this forum seem to be considerably older than me and are leaving careers to jump in a lorry. I’m 26 and have been doing Van driving for a few years. Feels like it’s uncommon for lads my age in this industry.

Oh mate you’re not alone.
I’m 29 and a woman, been working in accounts/admin for years and I despise it. Money’s crap (£26k) and if you want to earn more you obviously need to study, which I tried to do, but I simply have no interest in spending the rest of my life navigating the office politics and brown nosing my bosses.

I don’t want to be negative but if you haven’t got your theories yet, you’re most likely looking at April to have your training. What’s your local theory test centre? I got mine in Hertford and had to wait over a month for a date.

Neetsneets:

RikkiDLGV:

Oh mate you’re not alone.
I’m 29 and a woman, been working in accounts/admin for years and I despise it. Money’s crap (£26k) and if you want to earn more you obviously need to study, which I tried to do, but I simply have no interest in spending the rest of my life navigating the office politics and brown nosing my bosses.

I don’t want to be negative but if you haven’t got your theories yet, you’re most likely looking at April to have your training. What’s your local theory test centre? I got mine in Hertford and had to wait over a month for a date.

I’ve done office based sales, never again.

April does seem so far away, but it is what it is, i’ll get there eventually. My local one would be Hertford, as I’m based in St Albans.