Tips for mod 3 class 2

Hey all. Any tips for an upcoming mod 3 test? Is it still a thing these days to feed the wheel or has that changed?

Training is 2 days before so no doubt they will cover it all but still opinion is good :slight_smile:

mikeix:
Hey all. Any tips for an upcoming mod 3 test? Is it still a thing these days to feed the wheel or has that changed?

Training is 2 days before so no doubt they will cover it all but still opinion is good :slight_smile:

YOU MUST BE IN FULL CONTROL AT ALL TIMES
Now it is up to you to decide what is the SAFEST method to use at any time

Good forward observation and planning is key as well as knowing what is around you at all times

Taking a look at some advanced driving videos can help as driving a LGV is virtually the same as advanced driving

Feeding the wheel, if it’s done correctly (and it often isn’t) is the safest, fastest and most comfortable way to steer. However, for test purposes, they will accept crossing hands as long as there is no perceived loss of control. And that’s where it gets dodgy. But why do it wrong? A good instructor will show you how to feed the wheel properly and, once you’ve mastered it, you’ll never go back.

When I do a demo drive, I’m sometimes challenged “I bet you dont do that all the time” Well you bet your life I do. I wont make hard work of anything and imo crossing hands is hard work. And if you’re doing it 9 and 10 hours a day, you want life as easy and comfy as possible.

Those on here that I’ve trained will remember my saying “I dont do hard work”. Why bother doing it wrong and making it more difficult?

If your instructor doesn’t know how to teach you to feed the wheel properly, ask me and I’ll explain. It should involve using all the wheel.

Good luck, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
A good instructor will show you how to feed the wheel properly and, once you’ve mastered it, you’ll never go back.

To prove a point I used PP all the time on a skid pan :exclamation: :smiley:

The method is also used by high speed pursuit police drivers.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: what is PP?

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: what is PP?

Push, pull. Done properly, there is no effect on the movement of the wheel between push and pull. The wheel must turn at a consistent speed without pauses between push and pull. It’s very fast and equally smooth. It’s also very easy once you’ve mastered it. I teach it with novice car drivers - that way it’s not a new skill to be mastered later.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Usually called PULL then PUSH because it is easier and more accurate to pull first