Weekend work?

Probably not much call for this sort of approach to trucking work, but anyway…

I was made redundant from my engineering job in the early part of this year. I had advance warning of about 6 months so in that time I did my Driver CPC, Class C and ADR Packages and Tanks, and then when things opened up again after the winter lockdown I did my C+E.
About 2 months after my redundancy rolled around, I was asked if I’d be interested in a temporary contract back at my old employer but on different rates and position. So, in the absence of anything else at the time I took them up on it. I have since taken on a longer term contract which was offered when I’d handed my notice in after being offered a job doing C+E work with DHL in Leicester.

However, I don’t feel fully secure in my current engineering role so am looking to build up experience within the logistics world just in case things go bump and I have to move on and have been on the books with an agency to try to find some driving work every other weekend for a shift just to keep my hand in and build experience. However, nothing seems to be on offer at present.

Is this a fairly common thing to struggle to find such a role. Would I be better off contacting companies directly to seek out such work rather than sticking with an agency which doesn’t seem to be bearing fruit at the moment or is weekend work just not around at present.

Cheers in advance of any advice!

The availability of HGV driving work depends to some extent on which part of the country you’re located and what sort of transport companies are local to you.

Having said that don’t restrict yourself to one agency, if they’re not finding you work try signing up with another agency or two.

You do have to bear in mind though that as you’re only asking for a shift every other week you will be at or near the bottom of the agencies list of drivers, they will always look after their regular drivers first.

I’ve been doing weekend only work for ages. It’s can depend on the agency I guess. Obvs weekend pays more so full timers maybe filling those roles, I suggest find a an agency offering supermarket work. It’s a lot of cages but they tend to want deliveries every day.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Where in the country are you?

I’m doing weekend work as and when I can as I run my own business full time in the week. So far it’s been really good and I really look forward to the driving days as it’s a nice change from the normal work.

AndySV1K:

I’m doing weekend work as and when I can as I run my own business full time in the week. So far it’s been really good and I really look forward to the driving days as it’s a nice change from the normal work.

I’m in Leicestershire. About half way between the Leicester and Hinckley. Loads of supermarket/dpd/dhl/type distribution centres around here. I’m only on the books of one agency at the moment, but will scout about for another that works in the area if nothing comes in this week.

AndySV1K:

Andy - can I ask how your situation works in terms of driver’s hours? I’m hoping to do something similar once I get my licence - drive weekends/odd days while running a non-driving related business the rest of the time. I’m getting all confused about what that means for working time regulations and how people log their work…

Cheers!

ScottishDriver89:

AndySV1K:

Andy - can I ask how your situation works in terms of driver’s hours? I’m hoping to do something similar once I get my licence - drive weekends/odd days while running a non-driving related business the rest of the time. I’m getting all confused about what that means for working time regulations and how people log their work…

Cheers!

WTD is different for driving and non driving jobs - the two do not get added together so forget any WTD issues

Tacho rest regs do apply because time working in the non driving job cannot be counted as rest for the regs

Does that help :question:

Sorry if this is a bit late I’ve just seen it but I live in the same area as you and also just wanted Sunday work as I have my own business. Despite passing the Royal Mail assessment and induction for Atherstone/Crick, Pertemps later informed me I couldn’t be used as I had no driving time on my new Tacho card. So despite having 20 plus years experience class 1 I was treated like a new pass because I hadn’t driven recently. I have found since that despite a supposed driver shortage most agencies are still treating us like pond life, I had 3 others completely waste my time so in my experience no it isn’t that easy finding reliable work if you only want a day… but it is out there.

I ended up at Tesco Hinckley who will take anyone as long as you pass the assessment. It’s not that popular because despite the hype it’s one of the lowest paid agency jobs you’ll find. (Currently less than £16 for Sunday) If you can start at stupid o clock you’ll have regular work and if you’re happy with midnight to 3am start time they’ll be throwing permanent job offers at you.

There are others who advertise for weekend drivers if you can wade through the agency bull, indeed or total jobs are popular sites.

Cheers Richi, all noted. I’ve been passed one potential lead at Crick and another today by an aquaintance for potential Hinckley DPD, with your Tesco suggestion I’ve a few potentials to look at.

ROG:

ScottishDriver89:

AndySV1K:

Cheers!

WTD is different for driving and non driving jobs - the two do not get added together so forget any WTD issues

Tacho rest regs do apply because time working in the non driving job cannot be counted as rest for the regs

Does that help :question:

Really helpful - thank you!

ScottishDriver89:

AndySV1K:

Cheers!

I missed this sorry.

All I do to log my time is keep a hand written diary with all my working time in it. I keep it in my driving bag. I’m generally only doing every other weekend so that I get the necessary rest periods. Only exception to this is if I’ve had time off with my week day work. If I get stopped I have the diary as proof of my hours and it could all likely be backed up from my phone with emails, company diary etc if any questions get raised.

Andy.