Likely Earnings?

I am considering and have been for a while a change of job from sales roller coaster of wages from £1500 take homes to £3000 take home and the highs and lows drive me mental. I need to earn £35k minimum. I an considering doing the direct access court that Peter Smythe offers. I expect all in around £3k. Am I likely to earn £35k minimum? I live in the Warrington area I am happy doing 50 hours per week.

Col81:
I am considering and have been for a while a change of job from sales roller coaster of wages from £1500 take homes to £3000 take home and the highs and lows drive me mental. I need to earn £35k minimum. I an considering doing the direct access court that Peter Smythe offers. I expect all in around £3k. Am I likely to earn £35k minimum? I live in the Warrington area I am happy doing 50 hours per week.

Assuming you were working 50hrs/week, you’d need to be earning £13.46/hr to equate £35k gross.

It completely depends what sort of work you are after - nights may carry a premium, if you are tramping then night-out expenses will boost earnings. Could be worth speaking with some local driving agencies to see what is on the table.

The nice thing with an LGV licence is that providing you look after it and are medically fit, it will never be taken off you. Given you are in a job at the moment it means you don’t have to throw yourself at the first offer you are given. Go for it - and best of luck with the training. :smiley:

I currently work 37 hours a week but travel 10 hours anyway its a 60 mile per day round trip. I would want work where I am home of a evening. I am open to working hard and overtime etc but I’m worried about spending the £3k and then not earning what I need. Is the better money in class 1 or would I be better doing class 2

Col81:
I currently work 37 hours a week but travel 10 hours anyway its a 60 mile per day round trip. I would want work where I am home of a evening. I am open to working hard and overtime etc but I’m worried about spending the £3k and then not earning what I need. Is the better money in class 1 or would I be better doing class 2

Where are you?
DHL in Stoke owing £38688 plus 10% and 20% hourly uplifts for antisocial hours

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I am in Warrington area. I would be a new driver

Col81:
I am in Warrington area. I would be a new driver

Bit far for you…but they do take on new drivers, me being one of them 2 years ago

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Loads of work in this area. You won’t struggle to earn what you need. Just look at the omega area on the 62. That place gets bigger every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is plenty of work around the Warrington area, especially if you don’t mind commuting to Widnes, St Helens etc.
If you want to be hone every night then retail work would be your best bet. Sainsburys have a distribution centre in Haydock, B&M are based in Speke and Coop in Lea Green. Any of those should see you earn the sort of money you’re after.
Then there’s Amazon, Hermes and ASDA all at junction 8 M62.
There’s plenty of options for you once you’ve got your licence, all while working days with no nights out.
The one thing I would recommend though is to set your training budget a bit higher, probably around £5 grand. That way you have the money available to pay for additional training/tests in the event you fail anything, and if you don’t then you have a bit of spare money lying around

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I live next to Omega!

Col81:

Easy to do in your area.

But remember that as a new driver some places wont want you as yet. This may be easier atm but I’ve found this year the toughhest ever to pick up work - and I have had my licence 12 years.

Even so, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Dont quit your existing job until you’re sorted and all will be well. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I’m taking the jump I’ve nothing to lose it seems. I just need advice on how to go about lessons etc.

Col81:
I’m taking the jump I’ve nothing to lose it seems. I just need advice on how to go about lessons etc.

IDEA = call or PM the forum sponsor :bulb:

I just need advice on how to go about lessons etc.

Easy. Call forum sponsor on 01623 555661 from 0730 Monday. Residential training available at no extra charge if you are more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW.

Test centre on site, 100% qualified and registered instructors using up to date fleet. And 10% discount as you’re a Trucknet user. So full car to artic course, incl tests
etc etc comes in at £2610.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you very much Peter. I will call Monday and see what the situation is.

I believe Hermes take on new pass and I think it’s o/t rates after 40hrs (unsure of hourly rates). Through they don’t seem to advertise direct at Warrington but if you search Indeed there’s 2 or 3 agencies advertising in there.

I’m in the same boat as you wanting to go straight to CE. It most probably won’t be till after New Year but was thinking of looking at someone like them to get the experience to begin with. I currently work 4 on 4 off though so an other option for me would be to do odd days on agency for a few months once passed.

But definitely check indeed for ones taking on new passes and look at the adverts that show the hourly rates or the hours for the yearly pay. I’ve seen too many adverts saying £40k-£50k and then when you look hourly rate of £12 plus night out so I struggle to even see how you’d make £50k on that hourly rate realistically!

It’s a big move for me, last thing I want to do is change Jobs and be going bankrupt in 6 months! I’ve been watching lots of videos on YouTube lots of them don’t paint a pretty picture. I would need a guaranteed job I wouldn’t want to rely on agency work

Col81:
It’s a big move for me, last thing I want to do is change Jobs and be going bankrupt in 6 months! I’ve been watching lots of videos on YouTube lots of them don’t paint a pretty picture. I would need a guaranteed job I wouldn’t want to rely on agency work

Dont believe the agencies - or the current media hype, it’s ■■■■■■■■. Drivers are not earning 60k plus a year.

To earn the amount you need as a new pass will almost certainly mean working long hours and sometimes maxing out. So 6 shifts one week and 5 the next on a regular basis may well be needed.

The 20 quid plus an hour rates are mostly agency rates with no guarantees. I’ve found it harder to get work this year, as the higher rates are persuading more ad hoc drivers to pick up work. At least, that’s my theory.

Tread carefully. Earning loads in an HGV is possible, but rarely without putting a LOT of hours in or by risking agency work.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Col81:

Plenty of full time perm jobs around now even for newbies so perhaps trolling through the job ads is the way to go :bulb:

Col81:

Pass your test first by using annual leave to complete the training. Then once you’ve passed, got CPC etc, then look at employment. When you change careers you need to factor in a bit of uncertainty. If your not sure about anything, don’t jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say you don’t mind hard work and want to be home every night, Brakes in Warrington are currently advertising for class 2 at £36500, they will ■■■■■■ your hand off :smiley: