How to get your provisional ce licence

Pass CAT C test. Automatic grant

If no provisional currently held, apply for CAT C provisional now. It will be dealt with after 15th November and come back as CE provisional.

If you currently hold CAT C provisional, email extraprovisional@dvla.gov.uk. The email will be taken that the driver’s circumstances have not changed since the existing licence was applied for (medical conditions, residency, offences) You must state your name, driver number and date of birth.

You will receive a generic reply confirming your entitlement

The original request email and the response have to be produced when taking a driving course/test.

CAT D full licence holders will automatically gain all C classes from Nov 15th. Recommended send email to get confirmation.

DO NOT SEND EMAILS BEFORE NOV 15TH.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
Pass CAT C test. Automatic grant

If no provisional currently held, apply for CAT C provisional now. It will be dealt with after 15th November and come back as CE provisional.

If you currently hold CAT C provisional, email extraprovisional@dvla.gov.uk. The email will be taken that the driver’s circumstances have not changed since the existing licence was applied for (medical conditions, residency, offences) You must state your name, driver number and date of birth.

You will receive a generic reply confirming your entitlement

The original request email and the response have to be produced when taking a driving course/test.

CAT D full licence holders will automatically gain all C classes from Nov 15th. Recommended send email to get confirmation.

DO NOT SEND EMAILS BEFORE NOV 15TH.

Thanks for that, but I have just tried email and it has been returned undelivered :frowning:

Thanks for this. I was hoping it would be relatively straightforward to get C provisional upgraded to CE and it appears it will be.
Can this thread be pinned so it’s easy to find after the 15th?

mburt 80:
Thanks for that, but I have just tried email and it has been returned undelivered :frowning:

I doubt the email will be live until the 15th

To be clear, Cat D drivers will receive provisional C classes.

Pete S :lol :laughing: :

1van:
Thanks for this. I was hoping it would be relatively straightforward to get C provisional upgraded to CE and it appears it will be.
Can this thread be pinned so it’s easy to find after the 15th?

I copied it into this pinned thread = trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=170432

Pete S:
To be clear, Cat D drivers will receive provisional C classes.

Pete S :lol :laughing: :

Thank you. Pete do you know if they update these on the actual licence (when you check online) or will I still need to email to confirm that CE has been added?

Thanks

I’m led to believe that DVLA will be holding on to applications received in the first couple of weeks of November to ensure the maximum provisional entitlement allowed from 15th.

DVLA have stated that the backlog is now cleared. So their normal service is 3 - 5 days. There have been many horror stories in the last year or so and delays have been caused by COVID disruption.

Please note that, with the best will in the world, DVLA can only process applications that are correctly completed. Others are bound to be delayed. Your trainer should be able to give assurance that your form is ok.

When applying for provisional C or CE, you have the option to tick every box on the D2 form. And this is the safest way. I’m told that simply ticking D provisional will generate every category - but why risk it? There is no box for CE provisional. Tick C provisional and you’ll get CE as well. But this only matters if you want to go from car to artic. And it looks as if many folks are not comfy with this and are sticking to the current route of C then CE.

And just to repeat: a current full D licence holder will receive PROVISIONAL licence entitlements for all goods vehicle categories. But still need to email DVLA to get them added.

Pete do you know if they update these on the actual licence (when you check online) or will I still need to email to confirm that CE has been added?

The online checking system WILL NOT SHOW THE ENTITLEMENT. So you must email and get confirmation of your entitlement. To do anything with it, you must have the original request and the DVLA response. No driving test can happen without this and no trainer would be advised to carry out training without proof of entitlement.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
I’m led to believe that DVLA will be holding on to applications received in the first couple of weeks of November to ensure the maximum provisional entitlement allowed from 15th.

DVLA have stated that the backlog is now cleared. So their normal service is 3 - 5 days. There have been many horror stories in the last year or so and delays have been caused by COVID disruption.

Please note that, with the best will in the world, DVLA can only process applications that are correctly completed. Others are bound to be delayed. Your trainer should be able to give assurance that your form is ok.

When applying for provisional C or CE, you have the option to tick every box on the D2 form. And this is the safest way. I’m told that simply ticking D provisional will generate every category - but why risk it? There is no box for CE provisional. Tick C provisional and you’ll get CE as well. But this only matters if you want to go from car to artic. And it looks as if many folks are not comfy with this and are sticking to the current route of C then CE.

And just to repeat: a current full D licence holder will receive PROVISIONAL licence entitlements for all goods vehicle categories. But still need to email DVLA to get them added.

Thanks Pete for the info.

Are you aware of when that email address will be active? I have my C on 22nd November so I was thinking about updating it before then to allow me to kove straight from C to C+E without having to get my license sent away in between. (If that makes sense)

Pete do you know if they update these on the actual licence (when you check online) or will I still need to email to confirm that CE has been added?

I’m told that these upgrades will not show online. So you must keep a copy of your email to DVLA and a copy of their response.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Are you aware of when that email address will be active? I have my C on 22nd November so I was thinking about updating it before then to allow me to kove straight from C to C+E without having to get my license sent away in between. (If that makes sense)

That should work as the system is due to be operational from Nov 15th. And good luck with your CAT C test. Assuming you get the upgrade (and you should) and you pass your CAT C test, make sure the examiner gives you your licence back at the end of the test. You wont be able to take a CE test without having the licence in your sticky little fingers!

Hope this makes sense, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Just to mention I’m happy to help trainers if they choose to pm with their phone number so I can give them a call and try and answer questions.

Pete S:

That should work as the system is due to be operational from Nov 15th. And good luck with your CAT C test. Assuming you get the upgrade (and you should) and you pass your CAT C test, make sure the examiner gives you your licence back at the end of the test. You wont be able to take a CE test without having the licence in your sticky little fingers!

Hope this makes sense, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete your a star - thanks for the info.

And thanks i really am looking forward to it lol

I doubt the email will be live until the 15th

Correct.

I’ve passed my Class 2 today so I’ll automatically get the C+E provisional now, right?

bugger.lugs:
I’ve passed my Class 2 today so I’ll automatically get the C+E provisional now, right?

No I think you will have to waittill 15th and then email them. Or send your license away…don’t know what the difference would be tbf

Automatically get CE provisional having passed Cat C. But the licence has to go to Swansea.
Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
Automatically get CE provisional having passed Cat C. But the licence has to go to Swansea.
Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

I thought that would be the case. The examiner kept my license after the test and said it should be back in a couple of weeks. He said if its longer than 20 working days to follow the instructions on the back of the certificate

The scenario where someone passes their C test hasn’t changed. The examiner will offer to order a new licence electronically and this will automatically come back with a CE provisional.