Advice on an 6 year old DR30

Hi All

Im currently in the process of obtaining my class 1 licence with the view to becoming a tramper. 6 years ago whilst going through a messy divorce i did the stupid thing and left the house after a row when id had a few pints and subsiquently paid the price by getting pulled over and after trying to blag the police I landed myself with a ban and an DR30.
Its something im really really not proud of and have not done anything as stupid before or since.

My question is will it still be possible to obtain a job as a class 1 hgv driver with this conviction. I know that i no longer have to declare this to insurance companies as its over 5 years old however it will still show on my licence until it 2026 so I will obviously be delaring it to any prospective employers.

I have no points on my licence and have no other convictions of any kind. is this a case where im just going to have to wait or are there any companys out there that will take me on should I present well to them?

Mikew1989:
Hi All

Im currently in the process of obtaining my class 1 licence with the view to becoming a tramper. 6 years ago whilst going through a messy divorce i did the stupid thing and left the house after a row when id had a few pints and subsiquently paid the price by getting pulled over and after trying to blag the police I landed myself with a ban and an DR30.
Its something im really really not proud of and have not done anything as stupid before or since.

My question is will it still be possible to obtain a job as a class 1 hgv driver with this conviction. I know that i no longer have to declare this to insurance companies as its over 5 years old however it will still show on my licence until it 2026 so I will obviously be delaring it to any prospective employers.

I have no points on my licence and have no other convictions of any kind. is this a case where im just going to have to wait or are there any companys out there that will take me on should I present well to them?

Its likely to make your prospects of employment much lower than if you hadn’t received it. Many companies and agencies specifically exclude drivers with dangerous, alcohol/drugs related driving convictions.

I’m no expert on this, but I’d say it will be pretty tricky finding work.

Have you tried a bit of research? Maybe a local family business would help out - ask around a bit. I think the big employers/supermarkets and most agencies will say no tbh.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So have you been done for speeding or a DR 10?

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

To be honest I was a bit naieve thinking as its over 5 years old, that it was spent, Its only recentluy when I checked my licence online and saw it wasnt gone until 2025.

When searching online there isnt much i could find with regards to this, so thats why i thought id ask here as people already in the industy might know.

Im booked on to do my class 1 in January so was going to contact companys ref employment once this is done. At the end of the day I was an idiot when i got myself this conviction and i fully expect to have the concequences.
Was hoping there may be some employers out there that would still consider me since the conviction no longer has to be declared to insurance companies and it was nearly 7 years ago but would rather be told if this is a pipe dream.
Worst case I will obtain my license and I have to wait 3 and a bit more years I suppose Im fortunate enough to have a decent ish job that is secure until i can get a driving job.

rearaxle:

Sorry it was a DR30 failure to provide a specimine. Ive labled the post wrong

Mikew1989:

rearaxle:

Sorry it was a DR30 failure to provide a specimine. Ive labled the post wrong

Which is tantamount to a DD prosecution.

It’s harsh given your circs and the time since, but I’d be sticking to your existing job for now. Get your licence and see how you go. You may drop lucky. But on no account give up your current job to look for an HGV offer until the conviction is spent.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I wont be leaving my current employment without a job offer so no worries there was just wondering if it is likely or possible to obtain a job with this on my license

I had no idea that DR convictions stayed on your license for 11 years!
Thought it would be 3 years like speeding.
And that the minimum sentence was 12 months ban. Thought it could be points.
Must confess to getting complacent

Thanks for the warning and good luck with what you do.