How Many Agencies?

Hi all,

I am looking for ad-hoc shifts on odd weekends, just for some Class 2 experience before my Class 1 course in January.

I am currently signed up with 2 agencies and have a question for anyone doing agency work - how many agencies are you signed up with?

So far I have contacted around 6 agencies, with the 2 interested and willing for me to sign up for weekend work. The others couldn’t help with ad-hoc weekend stuff.

Any advice much appreciated!

Goff118:
So far I have contacted around 6 agencies, with the 2 interested and willing for me to sign up for weekend work. The others couldn’t help with ad-hoc weekend stuff.

Any advice much appreciated!

If the two agencies that want you to sign up have the sort of work you want and the rates are alright I would stick with them for the time being, when an agency phones you with jobs and you repeatedly cannot cover it because you’re already booked up for another agency they’ll probably stop phoning.

If it looks like these two agencies will offer you work stick with them, at-least until you hear of an agency offering more money or better work :wink:

Having said that, if you sign up with an agency and the work does not materialise don’t hesitate to go to another agency :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the advice.

All makes sense. I will stick with the 2 for now and see how it goes.

Out of interest, what sort of notice do the agencies usually give?

Goff118:
Out of interest, what sort of notice do the agencies usually give?

With agencies I’m afraid you don’t always know how much notice of a booking you will get, it could be a week or a few days but don’t be surprised if they phone you and ask if you can get to such and such a place in an hour or two or the next day.

Some of what agencies do is to provide a driver when someone’s off sick so they will sometimes be looking for a driver at short notice, having said that some agencies have long term work for companies who regularly use agency drivers in which case you could be told well in advance when and where you will be required to work.

A few on here have also mentioned that an agency can cancel the shift whilst you are on your way to it but I do not know how that works out contractually / being paid