Time frames

Hi quys,

Thought I’d pop in say hello and give current time frames for people going from car to class 1 lorry.

Took 3-4 weeks for dvla to send out forms…

Received forms on the 28th sept

Medical done on the 29th sept, application sent to dvla same day

Provisional entitlement for Lgv added 7th Oct booked theory stuff immediately

Full licence returned 9th of October

13th Oct sat theory, hazard & case studies tests

Still haven’t received provisional licence.

Regarding training soonest I can get for C licence is first week of Nov, unable to get any C+E dates this side of Christmas.

Obviously there’s not much point in doing C training in Nov if you can’t do +E this side of Christmas unless you just want class 2.

It looks to be January at the Earliest to attain C+E.

Your plastic licence no longer shows PROVISIONAL entitlements. As long as the gov.uk “Check My Licence” website shows you have Cat. C provisional it’s all good.

Check your plastic licence issue number matches the website. If it does NOT (i.e. it is lower) then it is NOT correct.

The issue number on the plastic licence are the two numbers after your driving licence number. They should MATCH the website issue number.

TruckerGuy:

Your plastic licence no longer shows PROVISIONAL entitlements. As long as the gov.uk “Check My Licence” website shows you have Cat. C provisional it’s all good.

Check your plastic licence issue number matches the website. If it does NOT (i.e. it is lower) then it is NOT correct.

The issue number on the plastic licence are the two numbers after your driving licence number. They should MATCH the website issue number.

Yes, the entitlements are appearing on “check my license” and the issue number is the same on website and pink photo card (one higher than the one I send in)

Have they done away with the green provisional card altogether ? Or is the green provisional just for first time drivers? I’ve been like a fool running to the door to check for post as I wasn’t sure if theory test centre would accept full licence :smiley:

I assumed you would have two photo cards a green and a pink !

You should be good to go for the practical training and test. A test slot can only be allocated if you have the necessary theory passes, which you have. If there is any issue you should also have the confirmation you should have received of the passes at the time.

You wouldn’t have been able to sit (or even book) your theory tests without provisional so you are all good. No separate card and yes, the card comes back looking the same as before. A bit daft I know, but it does have a separate issue number as you say and you can see the provisional entitlement online.

longD:
Hi quys,

Thought I’d pop in say hello and give current time frames for people going from car to class 1 lorry.

Regarding training soonest I can get for C licence is first week of Nov, unable to get any C+E dates this side of Christmas.

Obviously there’s not much point in doing C training in Nov if you can’t do +E this side of Christmas unless you just want class 2.

My application was delivered to DVLA 29-09 and I don’t even have provisional entitlement yet… checking online twice a day lol

Noremac:
You should be good to go for the practical training and test. A test slot can only be allocated if you have the necessary theory passes, which you have. If there is any issue you should also have the confirmation you should have received of the passes at the time.

You wouldn’t have been able to sit (or even book) your theory tests without provisional so you are all good. No separate card and yes, the card comes back looking the same as before. A bit daft I know, but it does have a separate issue number as you say and you can see the provisional entitlement online.

Fantastic! Thanks for letting me know… ill stop stalking the postman every morning now :laughing:

MacIsDoneWithBuses:

longD:
Hi quys,

My application was delivered to DVLA 29-09 and I don’t even have provisional entitlement yet… checking online twice a day lol

If you sent in the application recorded post did you use the brown envelope that came with the application pack?? the brown envelope in the pack has D2 printed on the envelope, I can only assume that they open envelopes with D2 written on them as priorty, the dvla is really hit and miss there’s no rhyme or reason its pot luck from what I’ve seen and read!

Best of luck and hope you get it soon!

Providing you are with a reputable trainer, driver training within just a few weeks of passing your theory tests is very good going given the current climate!

All the best and good luck with it. :smiley:

Could have saved a lot of time by asking a trainer for the forms. All good trainers keep a stock. And many can offer medicals.

Might help someone else?

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve done just that with a training company by taking out their starter pack, they have all the forms, online theory training for 90 days they book the theory and can see the slots available, they have said likely to get a sooner date through them rather than booking myself as they have a pre booking system. Not sure if this applies to the practical though I forgot to ask. Only just had medical today (included plus provisional application pre filled out by them) so not sure on time scale for everything as I want to go straight to class 1 when available so I’ll be waiting anyway.

longD:

MacIsDoneWithBuses:

longD:
Hi quys,

If you sent in the application recorded post did you use the brown envelope that came with the application pack?? the brown envelope in the pack has D2 printed on the envelope, I can only assume that they open envelopes with D2 written on them as priorty, the dvla is really hit and miss there’s no rhyme or reason its pot luck from what I’ve seen and read!

Used different envelope but written D2 on front

Pete S:
Could have saved a lot of time by asking a trainer for the forms. All good trainers keep a stock. And many can offer medicals.

Might help someone else?

Fantastic advice !

Being honest most of the trainers I spoke to refused to give me a timescale on anything . When contacted regarding availability of training and pricing they asked if I had a provisional and theory test done … when I said no then they said come back when I do.
I can only assume this this is from the upsurge of phone calls they are receiving, can imagine it’s a right pia to have to answer a ton of questions to tyre kickers.

The most helpful out of all of the ones I contacted was Paul in pstt.

MacIsDoneWithBuses:

longD:

MacIsDoneWithBuses:

longD:
Hi quys,

Used different envelope but written D2 on front

Brilliant hopefully they get you sorted ASAP !!

The most helpful out of all of the ones I contacted was Paul in pstt.

Paul is superbly able to help. Not only an experienced driver who has been there and done it, he is a fully qualified and registered NVDIR LGV instructor. This means he can speak with authority on the phone. It also means that he is instantly available to train in case of emergency meaning that customer service is 100%.