Advice please reCPC for a returning Grandfather rights drive

Hiya all, back here after a long break

I now have my driving licence back from DVLA after renewing my medical. I have applied for the digi tach card and want to get my DQC. I have been in touch with a local training company and am ready to do some CPC training and on road refresher training.

I passed my Cat C back in 2005 when there was talk of a HGV driver shortage.

Drove for a while as an agency driver and gave up completely in 2009 when I took a job in a famous retailers warehouse (hoping for a chance to drive).

Legged it from the warehouse after they gave me no truck and would only train under 30s ( you know the story).

Been riding bicycles, riding motorbikes, driving cars, driving luton vans and towing camouflaged stuff in the past, HGV work was limited to agency work and a bit of tipper truck driving - so I consider myself a road user with lots of practise and experience.

Can anyone help with this question - having had grandfather rights but never attained CPC - what modules do I need to do to get the CPC and therefore the DQC?

Do I just do the 35 hours training ?

Grateful for any advice re this. Apologies if this has already been covered in a thread.

Thanks

Malc

malc7:
Hiya all, back here after a long break

I now have my driving licence back from DVLA after renewing my medical. I have applied for the digi tach card and want to get my DQC. I have been in touch with a local training company and am ready to do some CPC training and on road refresher training.

I passed my Cat C back in 2005 when there was talk of a HGV driver shortage.

Drove for a while as an agency driver and gave up completely in 2009 when I took a job in a famous retailers warehouse (hoping for a chance to drive).

Legged it from the warehouse after they gave me no truck and would only train under 30s ( you know the story).

Been riding bicycles, riding motorbikes, driving cars, driving luton vans and towing camouflaged stuff in the past, HGV work was limited to agency work and a bit of tipper truck driving - so I consider myself a road user with lots of practise and experience.

Can anyone help with this question - having had grandfather rights but never attained CPC - what modules do I need to do to get the CPC and therefore the DQC?

Do I just do the 35 hours training ?

Grateful for any advice re this. Apologies if this has already been covered in a thread.

Thanks

Malc

If you’re under 45, your cat C should still be OK. DCPC after 35 hrs of approved course and good to go.
You getting a bit of practice with a school sounds good.
Any 5 approved courses will tick the box, but include hours rules and tacho use would be my recommendation.

Thanks Franglais

Advice re training much appreciated. :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll get myself booked up asap.

Malc

malc7:
Thanks Franglais

Advice re training much appreciated. :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll get myself booked up asap.

Malc

Double check with your provider, but I’m pretty sure you’re ok.
Lots of recommendations 're trainers here and also on Pro Driver section (inbetween the moans) about CPC courses.