Failed practical test. Retest cost advice

kazordoon:
Hi,

unfortunately I failed my practical class C test this week. 40 minutes into the test, and during a stop and pull out exercise, a speeding car appeared from nowhere, overtook me as i was pulling out and the examiner had to stop me. I accept my fault as I didn’t check enough to see the car.

When I got home, I phoned my driving school to find out if a retest was available, but I was told that the cost was £400. I was a little surprised since I paid £1,800 for the full package, from medical and all modules, 16 hours practice in the west yorshire area, but retest is not included. Are these normal prices ? I asked for an itemised bill, but I haven’t got a reply yet.

When I go to driving schools web sites, they don’t usually display prices, they want you to call them, which seems a little odd.

I want to get my license, but I’m afraid to keep failing and failing at the cost of £400 for each time. Is it possible to get some fail insurance at this stage ? Are there any cheaper than £400 retest options ?

I think you should ask what is involved, it may include lessons/recap and the retest fees etc so if you deduct the test fee of £115 that leaves £285, HGV training is £55 an hour where I am so if you deduct a further say 3 hours for the test get there-test-get back (£165) it leaves £120 unaccounted for so maybe a few hours refresher driving !