Hazard Perception test

I’ve got this tomorrow - just doing some practice. It is so unfair!
Google Photos
you have to click in the red zone as soon as possible, but too soon and you get nothing! :imp:

stu675:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9FgbPzjVnHhjEPTSA
you have to click in the red zone as soon as possible, but too soon and you get nothing! :imp:

I did mine last Thursday and had the same problem. I was too quick.

When you go in youl have the option to do a practise one before the real one. Make you you do it!

The scenes are all digitally created now and nice and clear, just look out for indicators and emerging cars at give ways and pedestrians crossing or entering the road in particular.

I scored 95 out of 100 (dead chuffed). A little tip, click and then count to 1 and click again. For each hazard I clicked around 3/4 times. Once when I seen it. Once again a second later, and then once again when yeah that’s a ■■■■ hazard.

They are not looking for parked cars etc, they are looking to score you on DEVELOPING hazards. Remember that and you should be fine.

Cheers,thanks. Yeah, I’ve been scoring mostly 5 or 4 for my practice and got 10 on the only double hazard I’ve encountered so far. But it’s still a lottery between pis easy and unfairly scoring zero. Yes I try to do that repetitive clicking without overdoing it!
Interesting to hear you say they are digital and better for it. My practice ones have changed from digital to real life which I prefer.

Careful not to click too much, one of mine got voided for too much of it. In my defence it was some cyclist on a bridge who was getting blown about all over the place, I was clicking every time he had a wobble.

Also remember there’s no cursor on screen on the actual test, you just click the mouse button. It does tell you that, but if you’re like me and gloss over it you’ll be there waving the mouse about like a proper idiot and the woman has to come over and tell you.

Not my proudest moment but despite all that I still managed to pass it fairly comfortably, it’s pretty straightforward for anyone who’s actually driven something before.

rb1889:
Careful not to click too much, one of mine got voided for too much of it. In my defence it was some cyclist on a bridge who was getting blown about all over the place, I was clicking every time he had a wobble.

Also remember there’s no cursor on screen on the actual test, you just click the mouse button. It does tell you that, but if you’re like me and gloss over it you’ll be there waving the mouse about like a proper idiot and the woman has to come over and tell you.

Not my proudest moment but despite all that I still managed to pass it fairly comfortably, it’s pretty straightforward for anyone who’s actually driven something before.

Thank you!

ffs! that was horrible…

But I passed with 80 (67 required)
My first clip I was scored zero for too many clicks :imp:
I scored zero for another clip - must have clicked too early (I think)

Multi choice tomorrow…not as worried about it.

stu675:
ffs! that was horrible…

But I passed with 80 (67 required)
My first clip I was scored zero for too many clicks :imp:
I scored zero for another clip - must have clicked too early (I think)

Multi choice tomorrow…not as worried about it.

Well done pal. Multi choice should be straight forward. Good luck!

I’m dreading this because my idea of a hazard doesn’t align with their idea of a hazard. :unamused: All these practice clips have done is teach me to ignore 90% of the video.

How did the test go? I hope you passed!

You have to treat it as a computer game, practice and you get better, I have passed about 3 of these over the years using that method.
Funnily enough. yesterday the disc came that I have ordered for my daughter who has jus started to learn to drive, I had a go and scraped a pass by one point for a car hazard perception. The graphics at the test centre are much better than they used to be, but practicing the videos on the disc will stand you in good stead, half an hour a day for a couple of weeks and you should walk it.

I had the problem of being too quick I think ! The new CGI hazards are practically in slow motion and uncluttered compared to the video ones. I thought i’d got 100 but I had one zero and a handful of 3’s and 2’s which I couldn’t believe. I had seen a YT video explaining a technique where you click three times (but not more) and not too early.

I think I got zero on one where an HGV was stationary in the running left lane of the motorway with flashing hazard lights so I clicked the Hazard and prepared for the next video, then the door opened and a cartoon man got out, obviously clicked but i guess too late, got 79 points anyway :slight_smile:

I think you have to think about this as playing against the software not a Hazard perception test and watch the YT videos regarding the winning technique

David DeHavilland:
I think you have to think about this as playing against the software not a Hazard perception test and watch the YT videos regarding the winning technique

I had an idea that if you click too much and score zero, you should be entitled to another video.
But then I think that the passmark of 67 is low enough to just accept the difficulties and you should still pass.

stu675:

David DeHavilland:

I had an idea that if you click too much and score zero, you should be entitled to another video.
But then I think that the passmark of 67 is low enough to just accept the difficulties and you should still pass.

Agree, I think they should do something, but until then its technique, I was so concerned about being too early I got a handful of 3’s and 2’s, I was also concerned about clicking too many times after spotting the Hazard… you can’t win !

With a few of the clips the hazard isn’t when I think it is…it’s either earlier or later. I think part of the problem is they only give you a small window to click. Yes, you can be too late, but I think they should give more time to spot a hazard before that point as a few I see something before they think it is a hazard, yet I’ve already anticipated it…

Muddy K:

stu675:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9FgbPzjVnHhjEPTSA

I did mine last Thursday and had the same problem. I was too quick.

When you go in youl have the option to do a practise one before the real one. Make you you do it!

The scenes are all digitally created now and nice and clear, just look out for indicators and emerging cars at give ways and pedestrians crossing or entering the road in particular.

I scored 95 out of 100 (dead chuffed). A little tip, click and then count to 1 and click again. For each hazard I clicked around 3/4 times. Once when I seen it. Once again a second later, and then once again when yeah that’s a ■■■■ hazard.

They are not looking for parked cars etc, they are looking to score you on DEVELOPING hazards. Remember that and you should be fine.

Are they all CGI theory tests now? I have mine on Saturday and have been practicing with those stupid videos for 3 weeks!!!

mburt 80:
[

Are they all CGI theory tests now? I have mine on Saturday and have been practicing with those stupid videos for 3 weeks!!!

Yes , mine was CGI (10 days ago)
Not sure if that’s easier than the practice videos? The screen is massive compared with practice. The action is slow.
I got 80% with my first effort disqualified (that kept me on my toes!) And another of the 19 scored zero for some reason.

stu675:

mburt 80:
[

Yes , mine was CGI (10 days ago)
Not sure if that’s easier than the practice videos? The screen is massive compared with practice. The action is slow.
I got 80% with my first effort disqualified (that kept me on my toes!) And another of the 19 scored zero for some reason.

I have just tried the CGI couple times there and its so much easier (well at least I think it is). I was getting around 80-85% on normal videos and just got 91 and 93%. Videos slower like you say, and seems to be a lot clearer - I am on my laptop so screen isn’t huge.

Thanks, I feel a little more relaxed now lol - test on Saturday

I heard this a week or two ago so I checked - the video clips are more cluttered with more “actual” hazards per clip (including the hazard you are being scored on), whereas the CGI clips are sanitized and aside from a few moving non-hazards, the scenes are static until the hazard itself with little clutter (much reduced traffic/parked cars and lacking other things). I also noticed the CGI clips sometimes have buried hints before the actual hazard, so if you can “tune in” to those, it helps as well.

This was actually much easier the first time I did them for my Cat. B as I wasn’t biased by 20 years of real-world driving. :unamused:

TruckerGuy:
I heard this a week or two ago so I checked - the video clips are more cluttered with more “actual” hazards per clip (including the hazard you are being scored on), whereas the CGI clips are sanitized and aside from a few moving non-hazards, the scenes are static until the hazard itself with little clutter (much reduced traffic/parked cars and lacking other things). I also noticed the CGI clips sometimes have buried hints before the actual hazard, so if you can “tune in” to those, it helps as well.

This was actually much easier the first time I did them for my Cat. B as I wasn’t biased by 20 years of real-world driving. :unamused:

Tell me about it - 16 years since my Cat B so…

CGI definitely easier so we shall see come Saturday lol

Glad I never had to do a HPT for any driving test because I have difficulty seeing depth on a 2D screen

I have the same issue watching TV unless I freeze it to concentrate into the background

I can do full commentary on all hazards when driving but that is of course 3D

They’re terrible.

They want you to react to “developing hazards” instead of to actual hazards. If you spot a potential hazard in the real world and aren’t already easing off or touching the brake [which would count as a “click” in reality] then you’ve already hit it.

It’s just like any other test, there’s no practical application or learning going on, all it is, is finding out how to “play the game” and get the highest score.

The highway code doesn’t see a dog or a football rolling into the road as a hazard, but any good driver will since there’s a good chance a child would be following it between parked cars and the like. So it’s all crap really.

That said, if it makes some drivers only observe into a two meter cone in front of their windscreen think about things outside of that, then maybe it’s a good thing, but I ain’t convinced that it does.