Free lgv training by gov uk

gov.uk/government/news/more … -shortages
The Department for Education is investing up to £10 million to create new skills bootcamps to train up to 3,000 more people to become HGV drivers. The free, short, intensive courses will train drivers to be road ready and gain a category C or category C&E licence, helping to tackle the current HGV driver shortage. An additional 1,000 people are expected to be trained through courses accessed locally and funded by the government’s adult education budget.

Can you apply yet?

ram_1979:
Can you apply yet?

I cannot find that out so perhaps it is not set up yet

The government will also provide funding for both medical and HGV licences for any adult who completes an HGV driving qualification accessed through the Adult Education Budget in academic year 2021/22. Previously, adults who took these qualifications had to pay for their own licences. This change will be backdated and applied to anyone who started one of these qualifications on or after August 1st 2021.

Hi, first post here as a newbie who has just sent off D2/D4

I would imagine there are currently thousands of people waiting for return of their driving licence with provisional entitlement or already have provisional and are waiting on theory and other parts of testing.

You’d have thought that these are the people (me included lol) who could be contacted and fast-tracked into a scheme such as the one quoted. It would help clear some of the pre-existing backlog?

Great scheme. But no-one seems to know where all this training is suddenly available - let alone tests!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You’d have thought t :laughing: hat these are the people (me included lol) who could be contacted and fast-tracked into a scheme such as the one quoted. It would help clear some of the pre-existing backlog?

That would require joined up thinking, so not much chance of that happening

I was fortunate to get on a funded course this year back in July,
I have been doing the course since first week of July but still not yet sat in a HGV.
Done loads of government courses which releases funding to put me through to full C + E.

I finally have theory booked for first week of November, it has taken 4 months to get to this stage so I would think that any government scheme based on this (which has been apparently quite quick) will not be getting driver’s through it until April / May next year…assuming it starts in the next month.
Any more delays with DVLA or medicals/tests etc could mean that such a scheme may start paying off this sort of time next year.
Sorry glass half empty, I know I am a lucky one and am very grateful but in reality my 3 month until full licence course is going to be nearly 6 months long at best, that was a week or so before the driver shortage came to light.

If anyone from the Bolton Area fancies it…

LGV Driver Apprentice (CAT C+E)

A & F HAULAGE LIMITED

31 reviews

Bolton BL5

Job details

Job type

Apprenticeship

Full Job Description

Over the 12 month period , you will be working towards becoming a fully qualified member of our growing driver academy through a blended approach to learning. Throughout the scheme, you will have the full support and guidance of a mentor, fellow colleagues and skills coach to help you grow and develop into an outstanding logistics professional.

Closing date: 30 Nov 2021

Apprenticeship summary

Weekly wage

£184.80 to £356.40

Wages explained

Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).

Working week

Monday – Friday, shifts to be confirmed (overtime available on demand/request)
Total hours per week: 40.00

Expected duration

13 months

Possible start date

01 Dec 2021

Date posted

yesterday

Distance

170.9 miles

Apprenticeship level

Intermediate
Level 2 (GCSE)

Reference number

VAC001772130

Positions

4 available

Over the 12 month period (plus 3 months for EPA), you will be working towards becoming a fully qualified member of our growing driver academy through a blended approach to learning. Throughout the scheme, you will have the full support and guidance of a mentor, fellow colleagues and skills coach to help you grow and develop into an outstanding logistics professional.
Your duties will be:

Carrying out vehicle daily checks and reporting defects in a timely manner

Collecting/delivering aggregates and asphalt in bulk tipper vehicles

Liaising with customers, transport department and other drivers in a professional manner at all times

Driving the vehicle with respect to other road users and adhering to road traffic laws at all times

Adhering to Tachograph and Working Time legislation at all times

To ensure that the correct PPE is worn at all times and is in good condition

To ensure that the vehicles are kept in a clean and tidy condition at all times

The aim of the academy programme is for drivers to gain their Large Goods Vehicle Driving Licence and if not already obtained, their English and Maths Level 2 qualifications and go on to become a permanent, successful, professional Driver

Requirements and prospects

Desired skills

Act in a professional and courteous manner providing an excellent level of customer service when dealing with both internal and external customers

Good communication skills in order to quickly understand instructions, liaise effectively with colleagues and customers

Able to manage own work in order to meet deadlines maintaining performance standards

Good knowledge of the local and UK road networks would be desirable

Personal qualities

A team player with a positive “can-do” attitude, hard-working and willing to learn

A positive and proactive approach to work with clear customer focus

Responsible for loading/unloading and transporting

Desired qualifications

Must hold a UK Driving licence for CAT B (Car) due to the nature of the role.

Future prospects

Will become a qualified LGV Driver trained up to CAT C+E.

About the employer

A family business with a collective vision to grow into one of the UK’s leading asphalt & aggregate carriers, whilst exploring wider distribution sector opportunities.
From humble beginnings with only 1 truck based in Greater Manchester, we have always made our mission to provide excellence of service to our clients and focus on building positive and flexible relationships.

Employer

A & F HAULAGE LIMITED
afhaulageltd.co.uk/

Address

Salford Road
Bolton
BL5 1BX

You must have JavaScript enabled to view a map of the location

Training

Training provider

TRS Training Limited
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by TRS Training Limited

Contact

Tim Rigby 01744809010 timr@trstraining.net

The aim of the academy programme is for drivers to gain their Large Goods Vehicle Driving Licence and if not already obtained, their English and Maths Level 2 qualifications and go on to become a permanent, successful, professional Driver.

Apprenticeship standard

Large goods vehicle (LGV) driver C and E

Level 2 (GCSE)

National Apprenticeship Service

Today

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

Hi All, I’m trying to get on a Gov’t funded “bootcamp” scheme.
My basic question is; “Which companies are providing the training?” … I guess it could be training companies or fleet operators…?

My job centre are next to useless at giving me relevant information, and the Gov’t website just sends me round in circles!
gov.uk/government/publicati … -bootcamps
“Recently announced Skills Bootcamps in HGV driving are due to be added to this list in November…”

I live in the W.Midlands but I’m interested in all areas.
Many thanks for any answers.

the irony is, if there where no strings attached (i haven’t seen the details) people like me who have C but not CE would be tempted to take training and test for CE and then not use it, just so they have the licence for any future need…

15 months to get a licence that normally takes less than 2 weeks training. Do the maths and figure out how much you could have earned in 15 months.

In my mind, this is very expensive training. Far from free.

Just my opinion.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

TCTruckerwannabe:
I was fortunate to get on a funded course this year back in July,
I have been doing the course since first week of July but still not yet sat in a HGV.
Done loads of government courses which releases funding to put me through to full C + E.

I finally have theory booked for first week of November, it has taken 4 months to get to this stage so I would think that any government scheme based on this (which has been apparently quite quick) will not be getting driver’s through it until April / May next year…assuming it starts in the next month.
Any more delays with DVLA or medicals/tests etc could mean that such a scheme may start paying off this sort of time next year.
Sorry glass half empty, I know I am a lucky one and am very grateful but in reality my 3 month until full licence course is going to be nearly 6 months long at best, that was a week or so before the driver shortage came to light.

I got my funded through a course allocation and a company called Systems Group…let’s just say its a good job I am proactive. Once they got the money allocated for the full course (everything up to Cat C+E, including several other 'helpful course) they didn’t want to really communicate. They put me with a trainer nearly 80 miles away when I have one thats only 20 miles away (owned by the same company so I managed to change it), I had to organise all the paperwork and tests because you couldn’t get hold of anyone.

I really don’t mind doing it, but if I wasn’t proactive I would still be waiting for paperwork and medical at this point lol.

I think government funded is a scary statement- these people couldn’t organise a p s up in a brewery for crying out loud. Are they going to start up some new training providers to do this, or is it going to be like the PPI and companies popping up to milk this dry?

Or is that my cynicism coming out? Hahahaha

martinABC:
My basic question is; “Which companies are providing the training?” … I guess it could be training companies or fleet operators…?

My job centre are next to useless at giving me relevant information, and the Gov’t website just sends me round in circles!
“Recently announced Skills Bootcamps in HGV driving are due to be added to this list in November…”

In the same boat as you, same story here in W.Yorks

Was thinking about blagging a crisis loan to pay for a course and then pay it back as soon as possible but will have to wait til after November the 15th anyway and I guess you’re in the same boat there aswell.

flammen:

martinABC:

Was thinking about blagging a crisis loan to pay for a course and then pay it back as soon as possible but will have to wait til after November the 15th anyway and I guess you’re in the same boat there aswell.

Would an interest free credit card be possible for you? Far less hoops to jump through if so.

flammen:

martinABC:

I’m just going to crack on with it as planned- test on 22nd November and then just do my C+E end December early January. Got my ADR in December anyway, so just get into the new year lmfao

mburt 80:

flammen:

martinABC:

I’m just going to crack on with it as planned- test on 22nd November and then just do my C+E end December early January.
Got my ADR in December anyway, so just get into the new year lmfao

I’m in a similar position to you!! Had my class 2 already but never used it.
Was hoping for some assistance with funding to upskill - especially seeing as the government took the time to so nicely write to us all. I couldn’t get any useful info, even from UK Logistics or the RHA, so bit the bullet and paid for it myself.
I’ve got my C+E test on 3rd December and have to say, special kudos to JMT Training, Stallingborough for all the help and brilliant 35hr CPC course to get me road ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinABC:

flammen:

mburt 80:
I’m just going to crack on with it as planned- test on 22nd November and then just do my C+E end December early January.
Got my ADR in December anyway, so just get into the new year lmfao

Midnight_Mover:
I’m in a similar position to you!! Had my class 2 already but never used it.
Was hoping for some assistance with funding to upskill - especially seeing as the government took the time to so nicely write to us all. I couldn’t get any useful info, even from UK Logistics or the RHA, so bit the bullet and paid for it myself.
I’ve got my C+E test on 3rd December and have to say, special kudos to JMT Training, Stallingborough for all the help and brilliant 35hr CPC course to get me road ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have read on hear from more senior members, the RHA are shader than the NSA mate tbh lol. I am ex forces so getting the funding wasn’t too difficult thankfully. Small mercies and all that. Even got my ADR covered.

And yes I know how lucky I am lol

Hello,
I just wanted to add my experience of trying to get on the bootcamp skills course. I had an online chat with a person from the gov.uk web site and they said that I will be contacted when the course is ready. I am in Portsmouth.

The site said that the course would start in November, from what I can recall. So it should have started but according to the person in the chat that is not the case. They were very awkward when answering questions, considering I only had one she seemed reluctant to answer it.
I think it is one of those things that a politician says, then later realises how difficult it would be to organise.
Some of the information seemed to say that the bootcamp skills course is only for people who already have the HGV 2 and it does not include the license or training in a vehicle. The site doesn’t seem all that clear.

From what I have seen from some people on an HGV facebook group, one guy said he was going onto the course, that there were 16 people doing it and only a few will get through to get the driver training and license. Then an interview with a local company.

I had done an “in to work” scheme from the job centre about 15 years ago. I had to do three months, one day a week to get some basic key skills certificates. Basic math and english really. After completing that, I had a basic test and then an interview for a trainee job.

If this is the same situation, I personally am going to avoid it.

Pete S:
15 months to get a licence that normally takes less than 2 weeks training. Do the maths and figure out how much you could have earned in 15 months.

In my mind, this is very expensive training. Far from free.

Just my opinion.

Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

Both my tests to aquire C+E came to the sum total of 3 weeks take home salary once I started my new job 2 weeks after my test pass.
Have to agree with Pete. Males sense to crack on and get it done yourself.

Goff118:

flammen:

martinABC:

Would an interest free credit card be possible for you? Far less hoops to jump through if so.

Maybe… I wouldn’t know the first place to look though and I doubt I’d be a “risk free” customer, in their eyes anyway.