Free lgv training by gov uk

TCTruckerwannabe:
I was fortunate to get on a funded course this year back in July,
I have been doing the course since first week of July but still not yet sat in a HGV.
Done loads of government courses which releases funding to put me through to full C + E.

I finally have theory booked for first week of November, it has taken 4 months to get to this stage so I would think that any government scheme based on this (which has been apparently quite quick) will not be getting driver’s through it until April / May next year…assuming it starts in the next month.
Any more delays with DVLA or medicals/tests etc could mean that such a scheme may start paying off this sort of time next year.
Sorry glass half empty, I know I am a lucky one and am very grateful but in reality my 3 month until full licence course is going to be nearly 6 months long at best, that was a week or so before the driver shortage came to light.

I got my funded through a course allocation and a company called Systems Group…let’s just say its a good job I am proactive. Once they got the money allocated for the full course (everything up to Cat C+E, including several other 'helpful course) they didn’t want to really communicate. They put me with a trainer nearly 80 miles away when I have one thats only 20 miles away (owned by the same company so I managed to change it), I had to organise all the paperwork and tests because you couldn’t get hold of anyone.

I really don’t mind doing it, but if I wasn’t proactive I would still be waiting for paperwork and medical at this point lol.

I think government funded is a scary statement- these people couldn’t organise a p s up in a brewery for crying out loud. Are they going to start up some new training providers to do this, or is it going to be like the PPI and companies popping up to milk this dry?

Or is that my cynicism coming out? Hahahaha