How brave should I be?

Hi all,

Really excited to get the ball rolling on my training and have my medical booked in for the 22nd and off my application for my provisional will go.
My current job has me contracted to a 2 month notice period so I’m just wondering if there’s any thoughts on how brave I should be in terms of handing it in so I can get cracking with a driving job (I already have a few contacts for this) in the quickest time possible?

Thanks

Don’t quit if you have a decent job, 2 months notice it must be a serious job, are you sure you want to pack it in to go lorrying?

2 months you might have passed everything and ready to be on the road and all hunky dory, in 2 months time you might have failed the test and become disillusioned and need a break to get your head back around it, knowing a notice period is fast ticking by will put you under increasing stress just as you are about to take your test.

One other thing, we’ll be heading into winter by then, might be worth wintering at your present job and make a fresh start April next year?

Difficult to answer without knowing your current job and how much you absolutely detest it?

I’m a restaurant manager, have been for the last 6 years, but now I’m working 6 days a week not including bits I have to do from home, unpaid for anything over 45 hours and suffering at the bottom end of all the current logistical challenges, I’ve long since had enough.
I’ve close family members leaving much higher paid jobs than mine to do the same thing and a step dad who’s trucked all of his life who have encouraged me to follow this route having had a chat with a few of them and one of our drivers about it.

Dolphin85:
I’m a restaurant manager, have been for the last 6 years, but now I’m working 6 days a week not including bits I have to do from home, unpaid for anything over 45 hours and suffering at the bottom end of all the current logistical challenges, I’ve long since had enough.
I’ve close family members leaving much higher paid jobs than mine to do the same thing and a step dad who’s trucked all of his life who have encouraged me to follow this route having had a chat with a few of them and one of our drivers about it.

Personal opinion…get your training done, (use any holiday you have to allow this) then jump.
You may well find something where you can leave without notice [emoji6]

But only do that if you have no intention of using your old job as a fall back position

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t quit a job until you’ve got all of your training out of the way. It adds a lot of unnecessary pressure on you to pass if you don’t have anything to fall back on, and if you’re still working then you’re still earning, so you should be able to pay for additional costs just incase you were to fail

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Juddian:
Don’t quit if you have a decent job, 2 months notice it must be a serious job, are you sure you want to pack it in to go lorrying?

My previous job wanted two months notice, the only serious thing about it was the state of the pay, general working conditions and exploitative & corrupt management.
“You’ve been here eight years, we get eight weeks notice, and you still have to attend the disciplinary hearing where we might decide to sack you”
I politely declined their offer, submitting a written statement to their disciplinary hearing, listing a variety of the laws I’d witnessed being broken :laughing:

Zac_A:

Juddian:

My previous job wanted two months notice, the only serious thing about it was the state of the pay, general working conditions and exploitative & corrupt management.
“You’ve been here eight years, we get eight weeks notice, and you still have to attend the disciplinary hearing where we might decide to sack you”
I politely declined their offer, submitting a written statement to their disciplinary hearing, listing a variety of the laws I’d witnessed being broken :laughing:

How did that work for you? I’ve no problem doing the notice as I’ve actually got a decent relationship with my direct line manager but I don’t want to stay any longer than I “have” to do.
My initial plan was to wait until my provisional is back and then hand it in. I’ve paid for a full Class 2 + CPC package with a local company and they said it shouldn’t take any longer than 6 weeks from that point to get all theory, practical lessons and test booked/completed