Pay rates longer term

Everything I’ve read says pay rates are high at the moment.
Is there any real expectation that they will fall significantly as the shortage of drivers is sorted? And any thoughts on by how much?

Idris:
Everything I’ve read says pay rates are high at the moment.
Is there any real expectation that they will fall significantly as the shortage of drivers is sorted? And any thoughts on by how much?

The only way the current shortage is going to be significantly reduced is if Govt or companies pay for the training which is likely to be in the area of £4K

Something people are very slow to apporeciate is wages would only fall again if people keep accepting low wages!

Refuse to do anything below, say, £18/hr. Problem fixed.

TruckerGuy:
Something people are very slow to apporeciate is wages would only fall again if people keep accepting low wages!

Refuse to do anything below, say, £18/hr. Problem fixed.

Yeah, but when it’s an industry people want to get into (and has significant barriers to entry), there will always be someone who will do it for less.

Whilst over the years pay, or rather those lucrative jobs that pay well for proper perm contracts, have come and gone ratchet style, i suspect this time that severe inflation is the next thing if not rapid financial chaos deliberate or otherwise that will wipe all of these recent pay rises out in a matter of days (crash) or months (inflation).

Taxes, NI, fuel (petrol gas electric whatever you need), food, and all other essentials are increasing or going to so rapidly that even a 20% pay rise could be wiped out in no time, i hope we don’t reach Zimbabwe style inflation, but you won’t need a suitcase to carry your wages home, by then the great reset will have begun and it’ll all be digital.

We’ve never been in quite these straits before, national debt at stratospheric levels, govts still borrowing or printing fake money like there’s a massive pay day three weeks hence which would clear all of the debts instantly…maybe there is, maybe they’ll plunder our own savings to stop the banks going under, which will only delay that happening for a short time.
I don’t know what’s coming but something is and as always it isn’t going to be good for the working people, it never is.

Summary, yes the rates could drop but it’s more likely inflation will take care of the benefits if the recent rises and we’ll soon be back where we belong in their eyes.

There, bet you wished you hadn’t asked :wink: