Taking the plunge to wannabe status

Hi all, 1st post, hopefully one of many more!

I say that as in the current climate, I have decided to jump on the wagon (great pun)and go for HGV status. I’m a bit older, 51, and currently work in a very well paid, well packaged job on shift…which I hate. I could retire at any time and live(basic) on my pension. Trouble is I get no job satisfaction whatsoever.
So I need a change in career and use the new job to top up my monthly pension. I’ve spoken with my older brother who has been a driver for over 30 years, currently on cement mixers after moving to Denmark. I’ve done some 7.5t work and I’ve been across the continent with him in the past, so no stranger to driving. I’m going to be looking at day jobs initially and I am interested in the new C1 +C2 test (i know abbrev’s are wrong but its easier). This is , for me, an opportunity to drive either C or C+E from the off.

I’m in no rush at the moment, just going to take it a step at a time (with 3 points of contact :smiley: ). I’ve my D2 and D4 forms, booked a medical over in Heathrow next saturday and have looked at training centres, recommended off this forum, near me. So I do have a couple of questions already:

1, Has anyone on here completed the medical with Diabetes T2 on tablets, if so did it delay your license (one section of form asks for test results from a meter)
and
2, CPC - I get that its going to be helpful as a new driver but can I do the initial theory on an online basis and I guess there is a practical side too, but I also guess the training company can help with this?

Anyway, happy Sunday to you all and as long as medical works out ok to get a provisional, I’ll let you know how I get on

You will find it extremely hard to book initial theory and practical tests as you have LGV C1
You need to do the 35 hours which can be done online

ROG:
You will find it extremely hard to book initial theory and practical tests as you have LGV C1
You need to do the 35 hours which can be done online

Thank you Rog, when you say extremely hard, do you mean there are no theory or very little theory tests? I am happy to wait, no matter the time. You never know, I might get uber lucky, go online and someone cancels lol

Has anyone got a decent link to online cpc?

It’s hard as the online booking system doesn’t appreciate there’s folks with a C1 who still need cpc. So it’s phone calls backwards and forwards between DVSA and DVLA to get it sorted. This can take several days - if you’re lucky.

It really is much more straightforward to complete 35 hours of periodic training. And, if delivered properly, it’s a lot more useful.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

twincle:
Has anyone got a decent link to online cpc?

:bulb: Google = online driver cpc

No, he means there are 2 routes to CPC for those of us with C1 rights from prior to 1997. Either 35 hrs training or 2 tests. Apparently the DVLA make it difficult to book the CPC initial test route if you are entitled to the continuous 35hr route.
I’m not sure which would be cheaper, but I have chosen the 35hr route because there’s a chance I will learn more and not have any risk of failing a test. Either route for me would have been included in the price of my training package.

Pete S:
It really is much more straightforward to complete 35 hours of periodic training. And, if delivered properly, it’s a lot more useful.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

exactly the advice I’m looking for, ty

Okay so far so good. Took the 1st step, booked a medical with D4Drivers and attended the Hilton Garden Inn at Feltham yesterday.

The doctor was very matter of fact, went through all the relevant questions and the only real medical test was blood pressure, eyesight and confirmation of my current medication.

I’m gald I did the vision test as …he failed me and we found out I need glasses to drive now as well as read. I couldnt see the required line on the chart without my glasses. i’m up for my eye test in a couple of weeks so lets see if they say anything too as I hadnt noticed any change.

I managed to get to the post office same day and posted D2, D4 and driving licence off so all I have to do is wait for the provisional to come back. In no rush as current test processes under potential change and going to wait and see how that pans out

twincle:
Okay so far so good. Took the 1st step, booked a medical with D4Drivers and attended the Hilton Garden Inn at Feltham yesterday.

The doctor was very matter of fact, went through all the relevant questions and the only real medical test was blood pressure, eyesight and confirmation of my current medication.

I’m gald I did the vision test as …he failed me and we found out I need glasses to drive now as well as read. I couldnt see the required line on the chart without my glasses. i’m up for my eye test in a couple of weeks so lets see if they say anything too as I hadnt noticed any change.

I managed to get to the post office same day and posted D2, D4 and driving licence off so all I have to do is wait for the provisional to come back. In no rush as current test processes under potential change and going to wait and see how that pans out

You sent the D4 off without having the eye test with an optician :question:

ROG:

He did an eye test at the time

twincle:

ROG:

He did an eye test at the time

I thought he said the D4 medical was a fail on the eye test and he was waiting to go for a proper eye test :question:

I couldnt see the required line on the chart without my glasses.

Which I’m assuming means he could see it with his glasses. Otherwise that’s a waste of a stamp!

sorry, to clarify, i couldnt read the chart, too blurry. Dr told me I had failed the eye test at that point, put glasses on, read chart perfectly and he passed the test

Now, it wasnt that bad in my book because the only people in danger of my driving would of been those that are the size 14 of Aerial font :slight_smile:

And seperatley, I have a regular eye test privately in couple of weeks, apologies for the confusion

Got it thanks :smiley:
I was concerned that the D4 was sent off needing more eye checks and DVLA medical would delay it for that reason for ages

lol and for a minute i thought i’d messed up and also get delayed, not what you want when getting excited about the whole process

I dont think for a moment this hasnt done the rounds and I hope the link works, but, I wonder what I’m getting in to :laughing:

Checking online constantly and can now see C has been added as a provisional entitlement, I cant confirm more than that as dvla wont let me check online now for some reason. Now I have an ‘01’ code that says i need glasses while driving
So now booked in for hazard perception and theory, albeit on 2 different dates and two different test centres but I’m on a roll and am felling confident for those 2 tests. 1 little step closer :smiley:

twincle:
Checking online constantly and can now see C has been added as a provisional entitlement, I cant confirm more than that as dvla wont let me check online now for some reason. Now I have an ‘01’ code that says i need glasses while driving
So now booked in for hazard perception and theory, albeit on 2 different dates and two different test centres but I’m on a roll and am felling confident for those 2 tests. 1 little step closer :smiley:

You sound like your on the same journey as me. I am 53 with a C1 licence. I currently run my own gardening business and am looking for something slightly less physically demanding. I have my theory test this week and hazard perception at the end of the month. I did my 35 hours CPC the other week and got a tacho card. I am starting a 7.5t job next week which will hopefully make it easier to pass my C or CE test. Good luck on your journey.

twincle:
Now I have an ‘01’ code that says i need glasses while driving

Is that 01 only next to LGV or on everything :question: