Provisional Licence (attn Pete S!)

I know that resident guru Peter Smythe has commented on another thread, and I am watching that eagerly!
But! On Thursday I received the forms (D2) to apply for my provisional Cat C licence. I was going to get them off as soon as possible, so I had my (prov) licence ready for when a vacancy arises at a local driving school. My intention was always to go on to Cat C+E, after I had the C licence, and with it the C+E provisional!
What should I do now?
Wait until the guidance becomes clearer? And forms to apply for Cat C AND C+E provisionals are printed and available?
Send off the form I have and “hope” that the powers-that-be find a way so that a Cat C provisional can also be used as a Cat C+E provisional?
Send off the form with a covering letter asking for the Cat C+E entitlement be added?
I don’t want my licence to be stuck in DVLA limbo in Swansea for months, only for it to come back with an invalid for C+E entitlement!

ps this whole thing is supposed to be to “ease pressure over Christmas”
There is no way on earth, that someone starting now, in response to the announcement, will be OTR in a Cat C+E by Xmas! Especially as the “Xmas Rush” starts NOW, RM already putting up temps in hotels etc…

Also and pps…
Can I drive a CAR whilst my licence is away at Swansea getting the provisional entitlements?
Can I drive a Cat C1/7.5 tonne?

wakou:
I know that resident guru Peter Smythe has commented on another thread, and I am watching that eagerly!
But! On Thursday I received the forms (D2) to apply for my provisional Cat C licence. I was going to get them off as soon as possible, so I had my (prov) licence ready for when a vacancy arises at a local driving school. My intention was always to go on to Cat C+E, after I had the C licence, and with it the C+E provisional!
What should I do now?
Wait until the guidance becomes clearer? And forms to apply for Cat C AND C+E provisionals are printed and available?
Send off the form I have and “hope” that the powers-that-be find a way so that a Cat C provisional can also be used as a Cat C+E provisional?
Send off the form with a covering letter asking for the Cat C+E entitlement be added?
I don’t want my licence to be stuck in DVLA limbo in Swansea for months, only for it to come back with an invalid for C+E entitlement!

ps this whole thing is supposed to be to “ease pressure over Christmas”
There is no way on earth, that someone starting now, in response to the announcement, will be OTR in a Cat C+E by Xmas! Especially as the “Xmas Rush” starts NOW, RM already putting up temps in hotels etc…

Also and pps…
Can I drive a CAR whilst my licence is away at Swansea getting the provisional entitlements?
Can I drive a Cat C1/7.5 tonne?

Tick D C and CE on the D2 form
Yes you can drive car when licence at DVLA
If you have C1 on your licence then yes you can but only commercially if you have a current DQC

ROG:
If you have C1 on your licence then yes you can but only commercially if you have a current DQC

Thank you @ROG.

But there is no box to tick for C+E on the D2 form!

wakou:
Thank you @ROG.

This is what you should tick. With regards to C+E, I don’t think they’ve announced how things will work with the recent changes.

bugger.lugs:
This is what you should tick. With regards to C+E, I don’t think they’ve announced how things will work with the recent changes.

I already have full C1 and C1+E. And D1, And D1+E

Perhaps tick C and attach a note :bulb:

My crystal balls aint what they used to be!! As stated, there is no provision to apply for CE provisional. This is because, at the moment, it is issued automatically with a C pass. Clearly something will have to change but there has been no discussion within the meetings I’ve had about this particular detail.

The biggest bit of information that’s lacking at the moment is timescale. No-one knows if this measure will be implemented next week or next month. Until we know that, impossible to plan properly.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Uhh… I ticked the box for ADDITIONAL ENTITLEMENT under “Provisional”, as I already have a full Cat. B.

Tell me I got this right?! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

TruckerGuy:
Uhh… I ticked the box for ADDITIONAL ENTITLEMENT under “Provisional”, as I already have a full Cat. B.

Tell me I got this right?! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’m almost certain that ‘Additional Entitlement’ is for when you already hold one type and wish to add more. For example, you already have a Category C/C1 type but would like to add a Category D/D1 and vice versa

■■■■… I guess that means they’ll reject it?!

I mean, I can’t speak for them, but surely you wouldn’t be the only one to tick that box so I would like to think they’d just process it anyway.

You could always order another D2 form and have it filled in ready, just in case they do reject it though?

bugger.lugs:
I mean, I can’t speak for them, but surely you wouldn’t be the only one to tick that box so I would like to think they’d just process it anyway.

You could always order another D2 form and have it filled in ready, just in case they do reject it though?

I do have a spare, yes.

TBH the question doesn’t make sense. It’s already under the title “provisional licence”, and it is additional to what I already have, so it makes little sense for it to be there.

TruckerGuy:
I do have a spare, yes.

TBH the question doesn’t make sense. It’s already under the title “provisional licence”, and it is additional to what I already have, so it makes little sense for it to be there.

I think that as the form is titled “Application for lorry, bus or minibus driving licence” then if you only have a Category B license this would be your first provisional entitlement under that title. I think it’s also because if you’re adding additional provisional entitlements then you only need to send another D4 Medical Examination Report if it’s been more than 12 months since the last one you submitted.

I admit it is easily misinterpreted so I’m sure you’re not the only one.

bugger.lugs:

TruckerGuy:
I do have a spare, yes.

I think that as the form is titled “Application for lorry, bus or minibus driving licence” then if you only have a Category B license this would be your first provisional entitlement under that title. I think it’s also because if you’re adding additional provisional entitlements then you don’t need to complete another D4 medical form.

I admit it is easily misinterpreted so I’m sure you’re not the only one.

There is a leaflet which is included with the form.
“INF2D”

It states… I’ll add a pic, to save my typing-finger!

wakou:
There is a leaflet which is included withj the form.
“INF2D”

It states… I’ll add a pic, to save my typing-finger!

My mistake, I’ll amend my previous post to match this information

Thanks for that.

I had my medical earlier that morning so got on and filled out the rest of the paperwork and got it in the post.

This is my first ever, so D4 was included this time.

I see what you mean about it being the first time for a LORRY LICENCE, rather than just ‘A’ licence. I’m hoping it won’t affect the processing.

wakou:

ROG:

Thank you @ROG.

I wonder if when this comes into force the ticking of the C box will automatically give CE provisional as it would be the easiest and cheapest way to solve this issue :bulb: :question:

ROG:
I wonder if when this comes into force the ticking of the C box will automatically give CE provisional as it would be the easiest and cheapest way to solve this issue :bulb: :question:

And any forms after the current stock are used are amended to say all C categories?