Government HGV test process change?

Anyone seen the below news report? (i.e combining cat C and E in one test!)

bbc.com/news/business-58487347

Your views and opinions would be welcome.
Having already booked my cat C lessons and test for late October, this report has got me thinking. If this went ahead; I’m wondering how this would work. I’m not sure I would want to do it all in one go.
Imagine the stress!

I would love to do mine in one go, I have C booked early October will be very ■■■■■■ off if I just miss it and have had to pay a lot more to get both.

MDW:

Having already booked my cat C lessons and test for late October, this report has got me thinking. If this went ahead; I’m wondering how this would work. I’m not sure I would want to do it all in one go.
Imagine the stress!

We did that years ago without any great issues

More tests would be available for LGV if they scrapped the B+E test and let instructors sign them off as competent like they do for CBT

The whole idea came about because of the driver shortage and wanting to make better use of examiners. As has been mentioned, the total training would probably be about the same, but obviously taking out one test day. Not too much difference in overall cost in the grand scheme of things.

My take on the training required is that it would depend on the individual. These days you don’t get 7.5 tonne for free, so many would be going in to it without driving anything of significant size. For 7.5 tonne drivers with years of experience, the cat C is largely pointless and many would be able to go direct to C+E and pass with a couple of days 1 on 1. This is not the case for Joe Bloggs who has just driven a car.

Thanks for your replies…
I would be more than happy if
the C+E went down the route of
training and assessment without
the requirement of further examiner
test. Certainly it would free up the
examiners and take away a load of stress and nerves for the pupil.
Thanks again.

I don’t fully understand exactly what changes are going to be made, it may just be a press release from a PR type that includes all the keywords & spin to soothe the asleep & nothing may come of it. But the thought that they are going to lower the standards fills me with horror.

If they start handing out LGV licenses like ‘smarties’, then people are going to die.

I’m currently in the process of trying to talk my BiL out of signing up with a local large haulier who has there own training wing.

If I thought he was suitable for a life behind the wheel I would’ve helped ease him into it a long time ago. He has several negative qualities that no TM in their right mind would miss & has a long history of making really bad life choices . . .

I would not want to share a road with this man behind the wheel of 44tons.

He’s going to sign up with a Co’ that has it’s own training wing specifically 'cos no qualified, experienced & right thinking driver will work for 'em. I have no idea what the T&C’s of their contract are currently, but traditionally they have always been very exploitive & detrimental to their students.

Interesting, the devil will be in the detail. I’ve never driven anything bigger than a Transit so I’m guessing that any training course I do aimed at passing C&E would likely involve driving a C first for some time before moving on to an artic. And if I’m doing much the same total amount of time in training, why not have two cracks at the test, one for C and then one for C&E? It’s only a half day more training time and then at least if I fail the C&E, then I still have the C to fall back on while I wait for a C&E retest slot.

MDW:

Imagine the stress!

I’m in a similar position with my training and test booked for late October. However, I would prefer to do both in one go if that’s an option.

I’m awaiting an announcement from the government on what their plans are before I discuss this with the school.

The consultation for this only ended two days ago and no conclusions have yet been published.

BUT, assuming that the “scrubbing C before CE” measure is adopted, there are numerous options available. The training industry, generally, appears to support the prospect of it but doing some training on CAT C before moving on to CE. That would ease folks in a bit. However, as ROG said, up until 1997 we did virtually all training on artic straight from car. However, despite the fact that the trucks almost drive themselves now, the prospect of going immediately to CE seems to concern both candidates and trainers. Whether it will be set in stone, who knows? Personally, I doubt it - but we’ll see.

So far as costs go, you can reasonably expect a total training period which would be the accumulation of C and CE training. Expect costs to be about the total of C and CE. Bear in mind that the running costs of an artic are substantially more than those of a 4 wheeler. So I would expect the “saved” test fee to still be included in the fees. Some trainers are talking in terms of taking the C and CE fees, adding them together then + anything up to £500. This reflects the capital outlay suddenly required after the worst year of trading in living memory. I am not sure if that will actually happen - just talk at the moment.

IF the measure is implemented, it will shorten the test waiting time. But bear in mind that some folks will still go for C and then follow on with CE a year or two later. That’s always been the case and is influenced by the need for CE and financial constraints.

There is, naturally, a deal of secrecy around the situation. But I’m ok to mention that I’m taking part in a DVSA meeting tomorrow. I will pass on any information that is deemed to be in the public domain. So maybe watch this space! And dont believe everything you read in the papers or hear on the TV.

Take care all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Why would there be concern with going straight onto artics?

I do have a more reasonable question: if there is REALLY a driver shortage, do companies want drivers for both rigids and artics, or mostly rigids, or mostly artics? This is a detail I’ve noticed is lacking.

If they’re shortening the test, is that to expedite C and C+E, or specifically +E given it requires the additional training and test time?

I’ve got mine late October as well, obviously I’d seen rumours about this happening but with how it is at the moment I thought I’d rather get myself in the queue now than wait and see. I wasn’t planning on doing CE straight away, but if the option was there for paying extra I definitely would. Just hoping I don’t get caught betwixt and between.

I’m sure it’s been spoken about, but if they want to get through tests a bit quicker why not make the reversing/hooking up exercise a separate component? And if you pass that part you don’t have to do it again on a re-test. They’d probably save half an hour straight away.

The cat is out of the bag. DVSA comms published in last hour. In short:

• BE test requirement to be scrapped and given for ‘free’

• Learners will be able to move from category B straight to CE, without the requirement to pass C first (start date unknown)

• Approved delegated training providers to sign off reverse/uncouple manoeuvre elements of practical test in-house (more to follow)

More here: gov.uk/government/news/gove … r-shortage

Fell sorry for the folks who spent hard earned already on the B+E and cat C

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Brand new news so the way its going to actually work out is still to be announced, having only just passed my cat c in some ways I am slightly worried very soon many new passes are going to soon have full c+e, so while I am lucky I have a start job already lined up, I will potentially be far less employable? on the other side I have that license so I can drive a cat c so fail my class 1 that’s fine still drive cat c anyway.

The 2nd hand artic and trailer market is certainly going to get a boost with I would think many training schools needing to purchase more tractor units and trailers to take advantage of the ability to get learners into the artics more quickly?

The reversing element now getting done away from your main test is an interesting one, and where you do it? are they going to run the various regular tests site reversing areas as its own independent area with people going there todo it, booking slots in for that bugger it up, getting another slot before you have the main test could become an issue? They do mention approved trainers so could well help rid the training industry of some of the cowboys that don’t have proper facilities to train, or proper instructors, and only they will be able to work in the new system?

Interesting times ahead, hopefully it helps the industry and country out

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Cat C cancellations will be coming through thick n fast as we speak

rearaxle:

I’ve got my Cat C booked for next month and have emailed my school to ask about the new changes and whether I can do C and C+E together.

Regardless of the outcome, I won’t be cancelling my Cat C, but it may be postponed depending on the result of the discussions.

rearaxle:
Fell sorry for the folks who spent hard earned already on the B+E and cat C

After reading some comments on here and on DVSA’s Facebook, I think people are overlooking a key factor - those who have already completed cat C have by no means ‘wasted’ their money.

I’m sure that we will see most training providers offering the same amount of behind-the-wheel training, just rolled into one course rather than two. Little to no time saved will likely result in little to no cost savings (other than the £115 test fee).

There will also be those who choose not to go straight to LGV CE. Many may not be able to do it due to cost implications and some may simply have no requirement to. These individuals will likely pay half of the price, do half of the training, and get half of the licence (C).

As a training provider it is not uncommon to meet individuals who, at the outset, have every intention of going to CE. There are also a handful that complete C, and decide that - despite initially intending - CE is simply not for them at that moment in time. CE is a big jump for your regular car driver and many overlook just how challenging it can be.

It will be interesting to see how the industry reacts. Perhaps the 3 week delay between C and CE will make a difference, but the 10+ week wait for theory tests in some centres still exists, as does the recent 5-6 week lead times for DVLA to issue a provisional licence.

The whole change seems to be a knee-jerk reaction from DVSA who have failed to provide a good service, failed to manage staff/recruitment appropriately and failed to provide training providers with examiner availability that they asked for.

Unfortunately there will be some providers who rely solely on BE driver training that will have been rendered redundant by todays update. I have just seen a post on Facebook from a BE one-man-band with plenty of good reviews, established for 20+ years thanking his customers and hanging up his keys. Not good.

bugger.lugs:

rearaxle:

I’ve got my Cat C booked for next month and have emailed my school to ask about the new changes and whether I can do C and C+E together.

Regardless of the outcome, I won’t be cancelling my Cat C, but it may be postponed depending on the result of the discussions.

I am a training provider and I know our office will be busy calling all prospective C bookings on Monday to see if they would rather train or wait for legislation to change. The unknown quantity is how long it will take for the changes to be implemented; will it be a week, a month, a year? In true DVSA fashion they haven’t stated a timescale yet are encouraging schools to discuss with candidates.

As I have outlined above, I would imagine that it is unlikely to have any significant cost nor time implications, other than one additional test fee to pay for. I think you may be wise to stick with the C and pop back for CE when it suits. :slight_smile:

BishBashBosh:

bugger.lugs:

rearaxle:

I am a training provider and I know our office will be busy calling all prospective C bookings on Monday to see if they would rather train or wait for legislation to change. The unknown quantity is how long it will take for the changes to be implemented; will it be a week, a month, a year? In true DVSA fashion they haven’t stated a timescale yet are encouraging schools to discuss with candidates.

As I have outlined above, I would imagine that it is unlikely to have any significant cost nor time implications, other than one additional test fee to pay for. I think you may be wise to stick with the C and pop back for CE when it suits. :slight_smile:

So you saying 2500k roughly for Cat C+E -the Cat C test fee ,

As B+E tests have already been cancelled then it will only be a short time before the C test will no longer be relevant as it was prior to the EU changes

My thoughts are with all those B+E only schools who have immediately been out out of business and with LGV schools who will either be selling off their rigids or adding tow balls to them for W&D CE but as most will want to train on artic as that is the type of vehicle they will be using then I thin it will be a case of LGV schools becoming artic only schools