Securing Loads

Hi,

There seems to be a strange absence of anything related to loads and how to secure them? I’ve read a few horror stories of people not knowing how to deal with certain loads as newbies, and it has got me wondering if it is a lack of training, poor student, or what?

I have a general handle on securing loads (I think…) but this seems almost “figure it out as you go”■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: We’re not talking securing garden rubbish in a 750 kg trailer here. Shifting loads (and preventing it) is a whole different problem.

gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

youtube.com/watch?v=cjeBg4SABZw

DVSA has it’s own Youtube channel with a range of videos

Thank you!

A good company will teach you how to secure things properly as well when you start if not sure ask for help, most drivers are nice and helpful

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

TruckerGuy:
Hi,

There seems to be a strange absence of anything related to loads and how to secure them? I’ve read a few horror stories of people not knowing how to deal with certain loads as newbies, and it has got me wondering if it is a lack of training, poor student, or what?

I have a general handle on securing loads (I think…) but this seems almost “figure it out as you go”■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: We’re not talking securing garden rubbish in a 750 kg trailer here. Shifting loads (and preventing it) is a whole different problem.

There is a CPC module on safe loading of vehicles too, probably worth taking.

David DeHavilland:

TruckerGuy:
Hi,

I paid for and took that CPC module 4 but the training school told me due to Covid the DVSA examiners are not testing you on it. Therefore they wont bother showing us how to do it. Money well spent!!
So good luck to me on my first day at work I guess. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Unlike me if you take the CPC module 4, make sure the trainer shows you how to use ratchet straps, chains/tensioners and restraint bars. I’ve got all my knowledge from watching Youtube videos.

TruckerGuy:
Hi,

David DeHavilland:

ZaphodB:
I paid for and took that CPC module 4 but the training school told me due to Covid the DVSA examiners are not testing you on it. Therefore they wont bother showing us how to do it. Money well spent!!
So good luck to me on my first day at work I guess. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Unlike me if you take the CPC module 4, make sure the trainer shows you how to use ratchet straps, chains/tensioners and restraint bars. I’ve got all my knowledge from watching Youtube videos.

Restraint bars, and ratchet straps are in everyday use in many jobs. Good idea to educate yourself a bit.
Chains are used in some jobs, but not many. Some drivers will work for years never touching them. Using chains incorrectly can damage loads if attached to the wrong place etc. (Indeed straps can too, but less likely).
Any employer requiring chain use will/should give proper training to new drivers. And that means drivers new to that sector, not just new passes. Look at chain use vids, but dont rely on them. Always ask at a new job. Looking at vids will give you an idea, but isnt the same as getting your hands dirty.

Franglais:
Restraint bars, and ratchet straps are in everyday use in many jobs. Good idea to educate yourself a bit.
Chains are used in some jobs, but not many. Some drivers will work for years never touching them. Using chains incorrectly can damage loads if attached to the wrong place etc. (Indeed straps can too, but less likely).
Any employer requiring chain use will/should give proper training to new drivers. And that means drivers new to that sector, not just new passes. Look at chain use vids, but dont rely on them. Always ask at a new job. Looking at vids will give you an idea, but isnt the same as getting your hands dirty.

Completely agree. My knowledge is extremely minimal at best. No substitute for hands on experience/training.