Time is neigh. EX bus driver wannabe!

Hello Ladies and Gents.

As it’s my first post on this forum I would like to start by highlighting my utmost respect for all existing, hard working truckers and Thank You for Your important, yet often sadly underappreciated work. I bow to You!

You can easily deduct from the title that I’m about to say goodbye to public transport industry. Coffin dodgers, soap dodgers, fare dodgers… will make me a bus driving dodger SOON. I’m balding at my 30s my beard turns grey, I can’t deal with such great amount of joy and happines anymore.
So… I have decided it’s best time to change! I’ve realised that the only part of my job I liked was driving bus empty from/to depot… and if I must carry load I’d rather wish it to be on pallets, straped down and… silent.

I’ve passed my PCV test 3.5 year ago. It’s time for cat C (class 2). I would really appreciate if You sacrifice a moment of Your time and help me with a few questions that have arisen in my head recently.
:arrow_right: CPC mind I’ve got dqc with D and D+E entitlements. Do I need to go trough all CPC modules all over again to get C entitlement?
:arrow_right: Do I need to send D4 medicals with D2 when I’m applying for provisional licence?
:arrow_right: I’ve got 3.5 year experience of driving double decker buses around tight streets where bus shouldn’t ever been allowed (had to fold side mirrors on parked cars to get trough…)
-Is there any chance I can get “shorter” and cheaper course? (reduced hours)
-Is there legal minimum number of driving hours I must do before practical test?
-Is there any chance this experience will mean anything to potential future employer?
:arrow_right: I’ve done some (a lot) of research and I believe night trunking is what I want to start with. Any chances? advices?

I understand some of this questions may be silly and make laugh but I’m still a bus driver, my dignity is still deep in my closet (kind of miss it after all these years…) so I really don’t mind.
Thank You in advance for all Your valuable answers and advice.

Best regards
Mac

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I have the greatest respect for bus drivers - - I used to be one.

You will need a cpc for CAT C.

You will need a provisional (D4 and D2) IF you haven’t already got it. Check your entitlements on line.

To ascertain the training duration, book assessment drives. There is no other way.

Night trunking tends to be CE (Class One) but certainly not exclusively. So you may be able to pick up a suitable post. However, you can virtually guarantee a night trunking job with CE.

Let us know where you are and hopefully there will be some suggestions for good training.

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Hi, Pete. Thanks for immediate (!) reply.

I’m in north bristol outskirts/south gloucestershire and I won’t be able to relocate for residental course as best I can do (afford) is 2 days off in a row ( I must be lucky too. bus rotas are mess at the moment)
Out of pure curiosity I’ve asked few driving schools for qoutes.
For example one recomended on this forum (Universal Training in gloucestershire) has offered £860 + Test Fee £115 for 4 day course = 3 x 4hr sessions followed by test on 4th session and if I’m good they’ll just do 3 day course £645 + Test Fee £115 (test on 3rd day)
Does it sound any good?

@Edit: I’ll arange mods 1&2 and medicals myself. that’s not a problem

best regards
Mac

I’m in north bristol outskirts/south gloucestershire and I won’t be able to relocate for residental course as best I can do (afford) is 2 days off in a row ( I must be lucky too. bus rotas are mess at the moment)
Out of pure curiosity I’ve asked few driving schools for qoutes.
For example one recomended on this forum (Universal Training in gloucestershire) has offered £860 + Test Fee £115 for 4 day course = 3 x 4hr sessions followed by test on 4th session and if I’m good they’ll just do 3 day course £645 + Test Fee £115 (test on 3rd day)
Does it sound any good?

Almost impossible to pass sensible comment. One school’s “day” might be as little as 2.5hrs 1:1, another could be 8 hours in a “day” but 2:1. I am not familiar with the school you mention (and don’t read anything into that!) but I strongly recommend PJE at Hereford. He is the closest one to you that I actually KNOW is very good.

Take care, Pete S:lol: :laughing:

I’ve been doing more night driving recently and something I admit I wasn’t aware of is the amount of work on the roads getting done at night (resurfacing, grass cutting etc) with diversions in place, sometimes with limited signage. Driving at night can also be very tiring and I suppose it can be quite monotonous, but if you come equipped with music, podcasts, it can be okay.

I have always thought that on the buses, you would always feel a bit more tense because of the passengers. However, in terms of knowing your finish time, you would probably know far more accurately on the buses than driving lorries.