How realistic is it to get a job being a new driver

Hi Guys,

I’m really considering doing my Class 2 training, I’ve thought about it for a while now, it’s time for a career change so my question is how easy is it to get employment after just passing, is it as easy as the training schools say or a con just to get your hard earned money.

Thanks in advance

What training school says it’s easy to get a job as a new driver?

It’s usually just brokers (who need to be identified and avoided at all costs) who make such claims.

I walked straight into a good class 1 job as soon as I passed.
I was fortunate, but it can be done.
I’m still in the same job a year later.

Does your training provider website state they have a number of schools nationwide :question:

ROG:
Does your training provider website state they have a number of schools nationwide :question:

Yes one of them does that I’m looking at

I think there’s a great chance in the current climate. I’m starting my class 2 and have already contacted a few companies. Some have said they consider new passes. Many adverts out there too advertising new passes welcome.

Philg74:

ROG:

What i found helped was a quick companies house check and see what assets they have and what the directors are linked to. most nationwide training centres turned out to be nothing more than a sales office sub contracting the training for more money or a recruitment agency.

personally stay local for independent school

Philg74:
Hi Guys,

I’m really considering doing my Class 2 training, I’ve thought about it for a while now, it’s time for a career change so my question is how easy is it to get employment after just passing, is it as easy as the training schools say or a con just to get your hard earned money.

Thanks in advance

Is’nt there a massive driver shortage?. If you don’t walk into a job the day after passing. Then there clearly is’nt one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Philg74:

ROG:

That one is a broker so STAY WELL CLEAR

Ask a provider if you can go and visit them to have a chat and look at their vehicles - if they say yes then ok but if they say no then steer clear

Boomerangtrucker:

Philg74:

ROG:

What i found helped was a quick companies house check and see what assets they have and what the directors are linked to. most nationwide training centres turned out to be nothing more than a sales office sub contracting the training for more money or a recruitment agency.

personally stay local for independent school

Or a very recommended school such as the forum sponsor as an example

Many of these brokers are simply moneylenders and snake oil salesmen, stick to the independents, go and sit outside the test centre for a couple of hours and get direct contact details from the vehicles, if there is a cafe nearby you will find the instructors sat in there waiting for their lambs to return.

Hi Phil,

Done my class 2 in May and was doing class 2 multidrop (pallets) via a pretty good local indie agency within 2 weeks of passing. (Had done a few weeks 7.5 multidrop prior to passing class 2 ( old git licence entitlement)).
Done my class 1 at the end of June and have just finished my second week of class 1 tramping, curtainsider work, through the same agency.
Decent money, as many hours as I want, good spec truck (Daf XF SS), good trailers etc.

I also turned down a couple of permie offers of class 1 work as the agency and the work they provide are good for me at the moment.

I may have been lucky, but there seems to be lots of work on offer, even for new passes.

I agree with the opportunity for new passes existing out there. I passed my Class 1 in July and am now working for Downton’s and Gregory’s out of Magor and it’s a hoot.
I love it. And I’m 53. I used to be a store manager for Aldi for 13+ years and am thoroughly enjoying myself.
I have been offered an opportunity by Culina in Avonmouth starting in September. As a new pass that’s got to be a golden opportunity for on the job training.

good luck and happy days to you all.

The Duck.

I’ve never known it so good for jobs. And at good rates. How long it will last is anyone’s guess but, as it stands, brilliant.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Not that many jobs up here in Aberdeenshire…

All the work seems to be centred in the middle of England (judging by the adverts I’ve seen)

Dave

Thanks for all the replies and advice

I’m a new pass, no experience, 55 year old and have just landed a great job!

Class 2
RDC to RDC with an up to date fleet and good rates of pay

The jobs are out there.

I started applying by being a bit picky but didn’t get anywhere really, I lowered my sights and applied for lots more and ended up getting a job that met my original expectations. I was noticed by a recruitment company (not an agency) and I’ve got a permanent job as an employee with a big Logistics firm.

Thing is, if I hadn’t been more visible by applying for more jobs then the recruitment company would never have seen me.

Don’t lose faith, keep going and, in my experience at least, the jobs are there.

Omega:
Class 2 RDC to RDC with an up to date fleet and good rates of pay

I was noticed by a recruitment company (not an agency) and I’ve got a permanent job as an employee with a big Logistics firm.

Thing is, if I hadn’t been more visible by applying for more jobs then the recruitment company would never have seen me.

How were you applying? Direct to companies or through something like Indeed? I’m just wondering how the recruiters saw you.

What sort of hours are you doing, and do you mind saying what the rates are?

Omega:

Class 2
RDC to RDC with an up to date fleet and good rates of pay

The jobs are out there.

I started applying by being a bit picky but didn’t get anywhere really, I lowered my sights and applied for lots more and ended up getting a job that met my original expectations. I was noticed by a recruitment company (not an agency) and I’ve got a permanent job as an employee with a big Logistics firm.

Don’t lose faith, keep going and, in my experience at least, the jobs are there.

That is good to know…I’m 47 so a career change after 13 years in the NHS driving ambulances…being thinking of it the last couple of years and since the pandemic it’s made my mind up for me…thanks for the info

Philg74:
I’m 47 so a career change after 13 years in the NHS driving ambulances

Blue light advanced driver :question:
If yes then you are going to find the training much easier than most