New Driver - books, etc., recommendations?

Hi,

@■■■■ Small - thanks for that! Great tips! I’m not expecting (nor looking for) any “shortcuts” to anything so fully expecting to spend some time learning raw numbers, legalities, etc. :slight_smile:

I’m blasting through the official theory book, but definitely think I’ll need a second reading before I’m happy I have the major pieces. I’m making flash-cards of anything that must be “learned by rote”. I hit the mock theory test online (100 official practice questions via the gov.uk site) and hit 96% on the first try, so relatively confident of that one. Just the hazard perception to nail (not looking forward to that - I’m doing better but definitely failed the first couple of times), and the CPC Module 2 to really get through.

In terms of the practical driving, I’m already driving my car as if it is a truck, and took some tips about “getting rid” of the rear-view mirror to force more use of the side mirrors (I can still use it but must make a point to move my head to see). I’ve even taken to running through how to couple/uncouple a trailer when I get in/out of the car. :smiley:

I’ve got my medical later this week, so then I’ll be in the hold for DVLA to update and return my provisional. This week is study week!

@Tlgamble - I registered for a couple of websites ( lgvtheory.co.uk and safedrivingforlife.info ) which seems to cover all parts of theory, hazard perception, and CPC Mod 2. I’ve got the official “driving” textbook, and ordered the official CPC guide just to have it (reviews seem to be mixed). The ISBN matches @■■■■ Small’s list, so I’m reasonably happy I’ve got those bases covered now. I already have the HC and “Know Your Traffic Signs” from when I refreshed myself as a car driver a couple of years ago (I found there were a few things I still didn’t fully know so hit the books again).

One thing I have been finding the last week or so is I’m noticing the HGV-related signage around here in a way I hadn’t previously (weight limits, height limits, “unsuitable for HGV” road signs, etc). I’ve also been working hard to notice EVERY sign I pass (it can become too easy to ignore things on roads you drive frequently).

This turned into a bit of an essay! I hope someone enjoys reading my journey from B to C+E! :laughing: