Failed

Hi everyone.

From the title you know why I am posting, it was my fault entirely having clipped a roundabout the examiner uttered the word failed. Thats ok mistakes like this could be very serious in the driving world, and I should have known better having been advised by my trainer the roundabout could be tricky.

My problem is having completed the training and driven the test routes and having invested the time and money I simply want to do a retest as soon as possible. Disappointingly the instructor I used is incredibly busy and doesn’t seem to be easily able to support a retest as it will impact a larger more profitable 3 day training session, I would rather not invest again to this level, although I do accept there will be costs.

Can anyone advise of a trainer in the Bristol area (South Gloucester or North Somerset) who would support a short refresh and test please.

Thanks.

Are there really no solution available to re-take an LGV driving test?

I appreciate how busy the training industry is at the moment but short of spending £1700 for a further and possibly un-necessary level of training there appears to be no support from the services that are available.

It appears that once you have failed you’re no longer worth of the LGV industry, toxic to all training providers.

Brilh:
Are there really no solution available to re-take an LGV driving test?

I appreciate how busy the training industry is at the moment but short of spending £1700 for a further and possibly un-necessary level of training there appears to be no support from the services that are available.

It appears that once you have failed you’re no longer worth of the LGV industry, toxic to all training providers.

Call the forum sponsor - bet you are not toxic to that well respected training company :smiley:

Retests are sometimes difficult to facilitate. Any good trainer will purchase enough tests for the work he expects to do, and make a sensible allowance for retests which are an unfortunate but inevitable fact of training life.

Just at the moment, there are many problems facing trainers. For a start, they cant get the tests they want. DVSA simply cannot provide enough examiners. Then, having purchased your tests (10 weeks ahead - think of the cash outlay!!), DVSA are having to cancel at short notice because of the pingdemic. This throws training programmes into absolute chaos - - through no fault of the trainer. On top of this, demand is high as it is pent up from the lock down together with the well accepted driver shortage.

It has been difficult, on occasion, to facilitate retests in “normal” times. But under these chaotic conditions, it’s getting more and more tricky. If, for example, the trainer knows from history that he may need 2 retests each week, then he will allow for that. Now, against the backdrop I’ve tried to outline, he has a bad run (it happens) and needs 4 retests, they just aren’t there to be had.

It is nothing to do with toxicity; it is a matter of trying to balance supply with demand. And whilst trainers can, and do, adjust their supply with additional vehicles and staff, it is all going to fall flat without tests.

And that’s before we start on the matter of DVLA taking forever to issue licences. Better not mention theory tests.

Hope this explains the situation a little though I know it doesn’t help.

Having said all the above, regulars will know that I am no longer in control of Peter Smythe Transport Training as I have sold and retired. So this is my personal view and I recommend a call to the school. It could just be that a test held back for a retest isn’t required. And it’s someone’s lucky day!

Take care all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I appreciate a number of views, unfortunately not solutions which is disappointing.

I do recognise the difficulty getting test slots, the challenge I have had is I have had no contact from the trainer which leaves me to presume I’m not going to get another chance from this company without starting from scratch.

Other companies in the Bristol area have said they aren’t willing to pick up other training schools scraps or mess and as such I cant identify any simple refresh and retest opportunities the only solution being to start completely from scratch and spend days going over the same stuff.

I appreciate I may have selected a poor training company but really is it necessary to be referred to as a mess or scrap simply because you failed once, a modicum of decency please. This is described as a professional career!