Am I to old and are these realistic expectations?

Hi Guys total newbie here with no hair so please be gentle .

So at the grand old age of 52 I find myself needing a new career. I’ve recently been made redundant from an operational office job that is now very old hat now and no new position will become available or are normally recruited internally. It’s fine I’ve managed to clear the mortgage with my redundancy money after 18 years in my current position.

I’m currently working for Amazon as a self employed LWB Transit driver , although I’m reasonably fit I don’t want to be delivering upto 260 parcels and over 191 stops a day as I did yesterday for the rest of my working life . It’s definitely a very young mans game .

I’m thinking of a Class 2 license as looking through the local job adverts is seems there is a lot of work around and quite of lot of permanent positions as well , something I would want to elude to .

It would be great if you guys can help me out with the following questions if you can please - thank you in advance .

1. Am I really to old to retrain at 52 ? I consider myself to have a great work ethic having held positions for considerable amounts of time and having served 7 years in the Royal Navy. I’ve only ever worked for 3 companies in my life , ok 4 now working for Mr Bazos .

2. Is the job market as buoyant as it appears to be or is this all long term agency odd jobs ?

3. Although I understand newbies start at the bottom I’ll cut to the chase with my long term earning expectations. After a reasonable amount of experience ( 6 months or so ) would it be reasonable to expect to earn £25,000 per annum for a 45-50 hours week Monday to Friday with holiday pay . I have zero expectations of nights out , HGV1 or permanent weekend - although rostered shift work is fine .

Be safe everyone and thanks in advance .

Have you read through the info contained within the link below in my signature :question:

ROG:
Have you read through the info contained within the link below in my signature :question:

Thanks `ROG

Appreciate this , some fine reading material right there thanks .

Would still like some answers to my specifics though .

Baldyman:
Hi Guys total newbie here with no hair so please be gentle .

1. Am I really to old to retrain at 52 ? I consider myself to have a great work ethic having held positions for considerable amounts of time and having served 7 years in the Royal Navy. I’ve only ever worked for 3 companies in my life , ok 4 now working for Mr Bazos .

No definitely not too old to retrain, companies would no doubt love to have someone with your loyalty.

Baldyman:
2. Is the job market as buoyant as it appears to be or is this all long term agency odd jobs ?

Yes very buoyant at the moment and I’m hoping companies will now see the benefits of permanent employees rather than temporary agency staff. More and more adverts seem to be cropping up stating they’ll take new drivers.

Baldyman:
3. Although I understand newbies start at the bottom I’ll cut to the chase with my long term earning expectations. After a reasonable amount of experience ( 6 months or so ) would it be reasonable to expect to earn £25,000 per annum for a 45-50 hours week Monday to Friday with holiday pay . I have zero expectations of nights out , HGV1 or permanent weekend - although rostered shift work is fine .

Depending on where you are it would be reasonable to expect that straight away on class 2. However, you may find that class two is a little more demanding physically. A lot of work is multi-drop for companies like brakes, DHL etc. I would seriously consider going all the way through and taking your class one which is generally far less physically demanding.

There’s quite a wait for tests at the moment so it’s advisable to get booked in so you’re ready for the Christmas period. Companies are a lot more willing to take risks with new starters during this time and it’s a great way to get your foot in the door.

There are a few things you can do now such as order your tachograph card, if you passed your car test pre jan '97 you should be able to do periodic CPC training rather than the initial module 2 (there’s currently a backlog at the theory test centre for module 2)

get a medical done with someone like d4drivers.uk and your theory test booked.

By getting this all done pre-test it means you’ll be in a position to hit the road as soon as you’ve passed the practical.

Best of luck

Baldyman:

You’re about the average age of a driver so you’ll fit in well. Certainly not too old. I do agency work for Royal Mail and even the newer drivers that have joined on agency are certainly in the 50+ group

Baldyman:

Depends where you are in the UK, if you’re in the middle of Wales I doubt the market is so good. If you’re in the Midlands near some of the main hubs, then you should be ok. Expect to start on agency to get some experience before most companies will touch you. Most like 2 years experience but some are happy with 6 months experience…

Baldyman:

If you’re not making £25K at 50 hours a week, you’ll need to re-evaluate the company you’re working for. I do mainly Class 2 work these days and it’s a bad week if I’m making less than £600 at 3-4 shifts a week - I do nights though and I’m home each morning in my own bed. On a good week, I can make 900+ with 5-6 shifts week but it isn’t the majority of the time

For Class 1 - Look at supermarkets and parcel companies.
For Class 2 - Look at parcel companies and food delivery companies for the trade, such as restaraunts - Brakes come to mind if you don’t mind the hard graft…

Guys thanks so much for the information, seems you have confirmed my thoughts.

So should of added , I’m living just North of Chelmsford so lots of Agency class 2 work around . I also passed my car license in 1987.

Driving a dust cart for a local council is a good place to start.

It’s easy work, and unlike many HGV jobs the hours are sensible.

No 15 hour days on the dustcarts.

You might even be able to work just Monday to Friday.

Do shop around the agencies for the best rates, as some might be paying up to £18/hour now that there’s a driver shortage.

Only accept PAYE and by law they have to give you holiday pay. Holiday pay might be 1 days holiday pay for every 9 days worked. So £18/hour would work out to £20/hour if you include the holiday pay that gets accrued.

Avoid umbrella payment schemes, as that’s a tax fiddle which could leave you exposed to back taxes, interest, and fines.