Are recent passes now getting jobs immediately?

Are recent passes now getting full time permanent jobs within a very short time after passing the test :question:

I ask because I have always said when this happens we will know there is a real LGV driver shortage

Grant Shapps et al need to have a word with the Association of British Insurers to address the validity (if any) of the “two-years experience” caveat. But it’s much easier for him to talk about bringing back Johnny Flip-Flop as the answer to the problem. :unamused:

Zac_A:
Grant Shapps et al need to have a word with the Association of British Insurers to address the validity (if any) of the “two-years experience” caveat. But it’s much easier for him to talk about bringing back Johnny Flip-Flop as the answer to the problem. :unamused:

There is nothing preventing a company going to an insurance company and asking the underwriter to look at a specific case. I think insurance companies are more amenable to that at the present time, because they understand the situation.

Zac_A:

The 2 year experience is bol***ks. Its just the firm not wanting to pay higher excess. They can as rightly said call the insurance and make adjustments but lazy management can’t be bothered. Agencies don’t seem to have any issues insuring new passes. The only probably clause which the insurance might require is a driving assessment.

If the 2 year experience was true then surely we would have to wait until the insurance got back to the company regarding every driver.

Daani:
… bol***ks …

Just FYI: There’s no need for the asterisks because we have an auto-censor that takes care of banned words.

The auto-censor is auto-matic, so please just feel free to type whatever you want. :smiley:

As an example… there are a few people on TN who write/post complete ■■■■■■■■, but the auto-censor doesn’t pick that particular one up because it’s an OK word.

:bulb: The ‘preview’ feature is your friend. :wink:

Got my first job a couple hours after the post man delivered my CPC card, 8 days after I passed my test. Started 6am the next day.

This was back in October last year. Been working since.

Now got 3 job offers, was 2 but got another one today, 2 perm, one agency, to start 2nd August as I am moving house this week.

I was offered 3 class 1 jobs their and then, last month with 0 class 1 hours on my card, 1 was A W Jenkinsons who rang me at 7:30 the morning after sending my CV in, one local bulk tipper firm and one company night trunking, all direct with the company’s not agency’s

I was approached by an agency the very next day after passing my class 1 test. I used to do some class 2 work for them, so they must’ve run a check on my licence. Anyway, the money was ■■■■■■ so ultimately I turned it down. Since then, I’ve been bombarded by agencies I’m registered with with lots of different class 1 jobs. Still doing a mix of class 1 and 2 work as they are paying crazy money for just turning up for a class 2 multidrop shift on top of a decent hourly rate. Starting a full time tramping job in the middle of August. Got this job via Whatsapp [emoji16]
Rav

Sent from my moto g(8) using Tapatalk

As soon as my tacho arrived I got offered a full time permanent job on £32.5 a year.

The positive job rate for new passes is better than I can recall for many years. There IS, without any doubt, a driver shortage. Read Commercial Motor and articles appear most weeks on the topic. Government have already extended driver’s hours and there’s a few more tricks up their corporate sleeves - so I’m led to believe.

I’ve just come back from Aldi where some shelves are empty and banks of freezers have been turned off cos they’re empty. There may be an element of panic buying but I believe most of this is down to logistics not being able to function properly. Some of that will be down to the “pingdemic” but there is an underlying shortage of drivers.

It’s better now for newly qualified drivers than it’s been for a long time. The problem is getting driver training and tests. Seems a vicious circle to me.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Lidl in Broxburn. Class 1 drivers with no experience and with class 2 multidrop experience can get the job straight away (£34.5k only though).
Hardly any ambient being delivered to co-ops. My pals working through a different than mine agency are being offered £21/hr for class 2. Class 1 and two getting £150-£200 just for accepting a weekend shift. Happy days [emoji16]
Rav

The thing with Aldi and Lidl deliveries, is that the truck driver doesn’t just do the driving but the unloading as well. Quite a lot of stores now have their own unloading staff, which is more beneficial towards the driver.

I passed my test on the 30th April and by 17th May was in full time employment as a Driver I may have just lucked out though being in the right place at the right time with a Manager willing to give me a chance. I was reading how its hard to get a job straight away so was dreading the endless application. Was rather surptrised

I live just outside Glasgow passed my class 1 in November and still can get a full time position still doing class 2 stuff

taggy24:
I live just outside Glasgow passed my class 1 in November and still can get a full time position still doing class 2 stuff

Try Long Lane Deliveries in Bellshill directly or via agency. They are looking for drivers and are happy to accept new passes. The job is easy and the money is ok’ish after they recently adjusted their rates (£14.30).
The other option is Stobart (Bellshill and Motherwell) or agency work through AM2PM based in Paisley. You can also put a wee post of what you are after on HGV Driving Jobs Scotland on fb

Good luck [emoji1696]
Rav

I have just got my first class 1 job, without having yet passed my test…

Got my class 2 in July, and have my class 1 test booked in for August

Anyways, I was keeping an eye on jobs local to my area when one from a small (they operate 40 trucks) family company caught my eye… so I applied on the off chance, writing a cover letter explaining my situation.

That was on Saturday, the manager emailed me back Sunday asking to meet for an informal chat, we met Monday… I was offered a job later that day

They are taking me on as a tanker driver, predominantly picking up / delivering milk from farms.

I have been taken on as a class 2 driver on a hourly rate, but they are paying me through my training, and once I pass I will go straight onto class 1 rate

Until then I am learning the role, going out with drivers etc - I even got a signing on bonus!

There are opportunities out there, take a punt, you never know… I certainly didn’t expect to get a job this quickly, and without even having yet passed my class 1 !