Is there a 6pm to 12am shift available? (+ Casual Work)

Hi there.

Does a 6pm to 12am shift exist for class 1 & 2 driving jobs? I ask because I would prefer to do this alongside my main 9-5 job, rather than take the risk of quitting that job or changing my sleeping pattern dramatically, neither which I want to do.

All these jobs I see online is either the full day, or something like midnight to 9am.

Would I get a better chance through a driving agency or “casual work” that some HGV companies offer?

Regards,
Owen

OwenCr:
Hi there.

Does a 6pm to 12am shift exist for class 1 & 2 driving jobs? I ask because I would prefer to do this alongside my main 9-5 job, rather than take the risk of quitting that job or changing my sleeping pattern dramatically, neither which I want to do.

All these jobs I see online is either the full day, or something like midnight to 9am.

Would I get a better chance through a driving agency or “casual work” that some HGV companies offer?

Regards,
Owen

Starting at 9am and finishing at midnight is a 15 hour day which you can only do 3 between weekly rests

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my 9-5 job is NOT Class 1 / 2 driving … completely different job… so this won’t affect driving hours etc.

It will, you still need to follow rest requirements, time spent working another job isn’t rest.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I don’t understand this… from what you’ve said, sounds like I’m not allowed to do a LGV/HGV driving job (as part time) alongside my main job that’s irrelevant to driving (I&T in my case), unless I do driving on a weekend.

I thought the hours / rest period was for driving hours and working hours relevant to HGV/LGV only.

OwenCr:
I don’t understand this… from what you’ve said, sounds like I’m not allowed to do a LGV/HGV driving job (as part time) alongside my main job that’s irrelevant to driving (I&T in my case), unless I do driving on a weekend.

I thought the hours / rest period was for driving hours and working hours relevant to HGV/LGV only.

REST for the tacho regs is time not working in any job no matter what that job is - that is law

You need a diary for your 9 to 5 hours which the authorities can look at so they can see you are not on rest at those times

You can ignore the WTD as the 2 different ones do not get added together

I see …

Ok, after doing a bit a research on gov.uk and other places, as long as I don’t break the 11 consecutive hours of rest per day, I could still do class 1 / 2 driving alongside my main job?

for instance…

9am-5pm = Main job (about 30 minutes break usually)
5pm-6pm = 1 Hour Rest
6pm-10pm = HGV job (4 hours of driving / working)
10pm-9am = 11 Hour Rest / sleeping

btw, I don’t plan to do HGV driving all 5 days … it would be 3 days maximum.

Sorry I keep asking lots of questions on this, just need a good understanding. :slight_smile:

Another thing you may or may not have considered is that you’ll pay 20% tax on a second job…

Goff118:
Another thing you may or may not have considered is that you’ll pay 20% tax on a second job…

I know, and I’m not concerned about that … I had a 6-11 pizza delivery driver job 2 years ago as a second job, on national minimum wage.

OwenCr:
for instance…

5pm-6pm = 1 Hour Rest
6pm-10pm = HGV job (4 hours of driving / working)
10pm-9am = 11 Hour Rest / sleeping

btw, I don’t plan to do HGV driving all 5 days … it would be 3 days maximum.

3 days max with weekends off for example you can legally do this every week -
5pm-6pm = 1 Hour Rest
6pm-12pm = HGV job (4 hours of driving / working)
12pm-9am = 9 Hour Rest / sleeping

Okay, that’s good to know and I’m happy that it’s legal. :slight_smile: Thank you.

So, relating back to my original question, do you think driver companies / agencies would provide such shifts? … after all, I plan to do driving on a part-time / casual basis.

I have been in contact with one local company but they won’t discuss it with me until I pass my Class 1.

OwenCr:
Okay, that’s good to know and I’m happy that it’s legal. :slight_smile: Thank you.

So, relating back to my original question, do you think driver companies / agencies would provide such shifts? … after all, I plan to do driving on a part-time / casual basis.

I have been in contact with one local company but they won’t discuss it with me until I pass my Class 1.

At the moment many companies + agencies are crying out for drivers so you could be lucky