Choosing a driving school and other questions

Hi all

I’ve been a transport planner in the past, drifted in a different direction and currently not enjoying the job I’m doing (not transport related at all). I’ve always wanted to drive for a living, and have decided to start to train towards it.

What’s the best way to choose a training school? There seem to be two options near me, one is quite small and has got an older truck (56 plate MAN TGL), the other looks bigger and has newer trucks (16-17 plate DAF LF’s). I’ve contacted both, and they both offer assessment drives, which are charged for but then refunded against the cost of lessons if you use that school. They both boast about their pass rates. Is there anything else I should be checking for? Does anyone have any strong views on 2-1 versus 1-1 training?

thanks everyone

Should be 1-1 training with the amount of money being spent, I didn’t accept anything other than 1-1.

As for the trucks, the older ones may be manual whereas the newer ones may be automatic. You can pass in either and get full entitlement, however as a new pass you’re usually given the oldest truck in the yard. If its manual and you only learnt in an auto you may find it harder to use than if you learnt in a manual.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Most trainers seem to be sticking with 1:1 training; because of Covid this has been the norm since training restarted.
Some would argue you can learn from seeing the other guy make mistakes but I personally feel 1:1 is the way to go.

May as well get this in now, most TN members will tell you to go with PSTT, the forum sponsor, plenty of reasons to choose them, what they offer for the price is hard to beat, so consider their prices facilities etc and compare them with what you’ve already looked at locally. Maybe tell us your location and you can get yay’s or nay’s about the prospective schools you’ve already been in touch with.

Zac_A:
Most trainers seem to be sticking with 1:1 training; because of Covid this has been the norm since training restarted.
Some would argue you can learn from seeing the other guy make mistakes but I personally feel 1:1 is the way to go.

May as well get this in now, most TN members will tell you to go with PSTT, the forum sponsor, plenty of reasons to choose them, what they offer for the price is hard to beat, so consider their prices facilities etc and compare them with what you’ve already looked at locally. Maybe tell us your location and you can get yay’s or nay’s about the prospective schools you’ve already been in touch with.

Cheers, good call. I was going to give PSTT a call, but I’m based in Chester so i’d have to be away for the week with them. The schools I’ve been in touch with are Chevron in Flint and Dulson Training who have got a place in Wrexham. The only other school I know of locally is Gatewen at Wrexham, not sure if they’re still going as they don’t reply to emails. I haven’t actually called them yet though.

Chevron has a good rep over the years - do not know about Dulson

chesterred16:

Zac_A:

Cheers, good call. I was going to give PSTT a call, but I’m based in Chester so i’d have to be away for the week with them. The schools I’ve been in touch with are Chevron in Flint and Dulson Training who have got a place in Wrexham. The only other school I know of locally is Gatewen at Wrexham, not sure if they’re still going as they don’t reply to emails. I haven’t actually called them yet though.

Do the weekend course…be back home Monday after test…

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

chesterred16:

Zac_A:

Try D Day training in Nantwich, I’m doing class 2 with them at the mo.