Automatic only driver HGV class 2 & Class 1

Hi, what’s your opinions on above. Essentially only being able to drive automatical transmission, I’m not really seeking out naysayers as I know I’d be able to get the work one way or another .

But… What Du think it will be like getting agency work initially? What I’d be at much of a disadvantage or not so much.

Im getting ready to do my class 2 license / theory soon. And I have an automatic only license for class B meaning would only be able to legally drive autos.

Any tips on industries to avoid or that use only manuals and others to go for that use autos more etc would be appreciated… Or any other positive advice would be appreciated.

Thanking you

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

mikefnl:
Hi, what’s your opinions on above. Essentially only being able to drive automatical transmission, I’m not really seeking out naysayers as I know I’d be able to get the work one way or another .

What do you mean “I’m not really seeking out naysayers” ? TN isn’t a Fakebook echo chamber, people here tend to give fairly straightforward and honest opinions.

And in that vein, you may think you’ll be able to get work, but my experience suggests not, especially if you’re expecting to get agency work: you’ll be dropped in the deep end with little or no help and be expected to handle whatever is passed your way, and if you can’t, then there won’t be anything getting passed your way.

As for full time work, more and more I’m seeing adverts where it states “Must be able to use a manual gearbox”, have a browse of online adverts and you’ll soon see what I mean.

Zac_A:

mikefnl:

What do you mean “I’m not really seeking out naysayers” ? TN isn’t a Fakebook echo chamber, people here tend to give fairly straightforward and honest opinions.

And in that vein, you may think you’ll be able to get work, but my experience suggests not, especially if you’re expecting to get agency work: you’ll be dropped in the deep end with little or no help and be expected to handle whatever is passed your way, and if you can’t, then there won’t be anything getting passed your way.

As for full time work, more and more I’m seeing adverts where it states “Must be able to use a manual gearbox”, have a browse of online adverts and you’ll soon see what I mean.

Thanks for taking the time to reply… Ye meant trying to avoid the usual Internet troll type behaviour with my naysayers comment.

My thoughts would be that if agency’s didn’t push work my way I’d seek out a permanent position.

On the point of job ads stating must be able to drive manual, haven’t come across any yet and I’ve looked at quite a few.

Any idea what % of lorrys on the road today in UK are actually auto anyone?

I mean, could simply do class b manual but just hate manual tbh.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

I’ve had a look and on indeed… Within 25miles of my address there are only 2 adverts specifying “manual transmission” on 1 and “manual gearbox” on another…

I’m sorry I’m not able to answer your question regarding getting an HGV job having an auto licence but I’m curious to know why people are getting auto B licence only with a prospect of getting into driving jobs in the future and not thinking about passing a manual licence.
I bought a manual car for my son but as I’m not as patient as a driving ‘parent-instructor’ should be I booked him for lessons with a proper ADI. However due to the high demand he’s offering auto only. So it turned out my son is enjoying his lessons and doesn’t see a point of driving a manual. What is worse my husband (I’m a woman to make things clear) though he has a full B licence he’s clearly struggling with a manual car and drives an auto on a daily basis.
So guys, I think you’re getting lazy.
Just do the manual test if you’re a man ffs.

Thanks for the response dead duck… Enjoyed rwding that.

Must admit, I’m seriously thinking about simply doing my class C in a manual. Would at least then have the flexibility.
And yes I am a man.

Thanks.

mikefnl:
I’m seriously thinking about simply doing my class C in a manual.

There is a fairly recent thread on here where a member did just that :smiley:

@rog

Something that occurred to me and I can’t find a answer too.

If someone was to take b, c and c+e in a auto, would they then be able to take b again in a manual and get c and c+e in manual too?

An odd question I know…

Man up. Either get a manual car licence or do your truck test in a manual. The next car you buy, make sure it is a manual.

ROG:

mikefnl:
I’m seriously thinking about simply doing my class C in a manual.

There is a fairly recent thread on here where a member did just that :smiley:

Ye seen that… Must say most hgv schools are offering auto only trucks, but will certainly be asking around.

qwakers:
@rog

Something that occurred to me and I can’t find a answer too.

If someone was to take b, c and c+e in a auto, would they then be able to take b again in a manual and get c and c+e in manual too?

An odd question I know…

YES 99% certain
Any pass in a manual will upgrade all other categories if I remember correctly

The one oddity is that only having B manual then doing BE auto only gets BE auto due to UK domestic laws

mikefnl:
Must admit, I’m seriously thinking about simply doing my class C in a manual. Would at least then have the flexibility.

It won’t be easy to find a driving school who has a manual truck for Class 2 training, it may involve some travel and extra costs. I don’t personally know of anyone within a 50 mile radius of me (Teesside) who runs a manual for training.

EDIT: personally I hate automatics, especially negotiating narrow and hilly country roads with a full load on, they only time they’re ok for me is in slow moving urban traffic.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166655
This driver was in the same position you are now in

Everything going auto, then electric, then jet packs like James Bond . So trucking is going to be great[emoji106]. I’ve just had a Sherry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROG:
where to start - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK
This driver was in the same position you are now in

Thanks, had a read of that and it’s good on him / her to pass in a manual.

If anyone knows of any training companies that offer manual HGV’s for training be appreciated.

I’m in Wigan. So anywhere within say 50miles or so.

Was looking at the availability for manual class b but at the moment can’t really do too much having sent off my licence. Let’s just say I’d feel a whole lot better about things being by being licensed for manual.

If I was to concentrate on getting my class (auto) currently, and then after passing class C book a class B manual, would that mean legally I’d have all my classes B and C upgraded to manual? I saw a post stating this but is it accurate?

TN is great and thanks for the input.

I cannot find
B auto
C auto
B manual
on any Gov site and what that would end up as but it makes sense to be all in manual

Now I have used GOV and SENSE in the same sentence :unamused:

Had a look too, they talk about upgrading but no mention of classes.

You have a manual licence? If so you could drive a manual truck.

I passed my test 8 years ago in a manual truck with 12 gears a think 6over 6 .
Anyway since then I won’t rked for agency for years at different compamies and worked full time.at few companies and.in 8 years have been in a manual truck twicee.
Think most trucks are auto now as standard

Don’t know about class 2 older motors but in most places anything under 5/7 years old is almost certainly going to be auto, where i work there isn’t a manual in the entire fleet, the industry has been dumbed down to such an extent that agency bods turning up and being issued with a manual motor have been known to walk off the job cos ‘‘only drive auto’’, the industry dug itself into this hole by lowering the bar to acommodate such useless individuals and only has itself to blame, the maker’s responded to this in that almost no artic tractors can now be specced with a manual box at all :unamused: , its all downhill from now.

You might find the odd place with older vehicles still fitted with a manual box, but so rare are they (and they ain’t coming back) that i wouldn’t worry about it to be honest.

Juddian:
Don’t know about class 2 older motors but in most places anything under 5/7 years old is almost certainly going to be auto, where i work there isn’t a manual in the entire fleet, the industry has been dumbed down to such an extent that agency bods turning up and being issued with a manual motor have been known to walk off the job cos ‘‘only drive auto’’, the industry dug itself into this hole by lowering the bar to acommodate such useless individuals and only has itself to blame, the maker’s responded to this in that almost no artic tractors can now be specced with a manual box at all :unamused: , its all downhill from now.

You might find the odd place with older vehicles still fitted with a manual box, but so rare are they (and they ain’t coming back) that i wouldn’t worry about it to be honest.

Thanks, appreciate the response