The state of the industry?

I’ve been class 2 agency for the last 5 years so I now consider myself ‘barely competent’. I did my class 1 at the time and did some tesco/stobart stuff over the christmas period which put off any more.
Now I’m a lot wiser I wonder whether it’s time to give it another go.
It appears that the industry is one again crying out for drivers and Great Bears current recruitment drive offering a whopping £11.04/hr basic will no doubt ensure it stays that way.
Considering I get at least a tenner an hour all day long and am home for tea driving rigids, why should I even bother? Or have I answered my own question?

There a lot to be said for getting home for tea every day. I was driving class 1 for 3 1/2 years so just a newbie really, but gave up last November and went back to working for the council again as a Income Officer. Less money I might add per week, but doing literally half the hours. 30 days annual leave + bank holidays and my commute at the moment is across the landing. That’s more important to me now than money.

Point I suppose I’m trying to make is, if you’re happy why move? If “the shortage” is true the hourly rate your on now will increase then you haven’t had to put yourself out.

Why am I still reading trucknet forum, I’m only on a temporary contract so keeping finger on the pulse just in case.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well you know not to bother with grand bore or anywhere offering ■■■■ poor money and more memos than you can shake a stick at, thankfully knowing the rate in advance means no wasted time on applying/assessments/interviews only to end up laughing at them as you walk out after being told the pay.

If you are good at the job, ie can do what the customer requires are reliable and bring the lorry back in one piece then, depending on area some very decent money can be made.

Thing to ask yourself is what chased you out of class 1 work at the time, if it was RDC hell holes then that hasn’t changed they’re still hell (and i don’t have anything to do with them, thankfully), if it was the green death that also is still there, can’t imagine what was wrong with Tosco mind, get in lorry drive slowly to supermarket, back on bay, deliver goods, collect empties, drive home slowly, easy.

I would say use the class 1 if you can, but take into account what is near you, travelling expense and the money being offered. Also, what do you see yourself doing in 5 / 10 years? If you have an idea, best to make a start now.

As for competence, one sure fire way not to build up any class 1 experience is not to do it. A year down the line you would still be in the same situation, except it will have been longer since you last touched one.

Whatever you decide, make the best of it and take the positives. A lot of physical work is hard, but it keeps you fit. A lot of time spent on bays is less hard work but very boring, with the potential for an increasing waist size.

OP, maybe you live in the wrong areas but im on 18ph, getting xmas rates right nw there is a driver shortage