New driver to fridge work important questions

Hello everyone ! Just about to do some part time weekend artic fridge work and have a couple of questions for you all. I have been doing artic general haulage for 10 years and driving smaller lorry’s for an additional 7 so have some decent experience but none for fridges. So! my questions are…

Collection of a trailer from port empty and running to a collection point do you turn the fridge on so its at the required temp for loading? Same with running between a drop off and collection point?

Obviously a loaded trailer from port will be on and at the required temp. Anything to flick or switch once hooked up to the tractor?

Have seen on some controls for fridges they have a switch from engine to aux power? is that so when hooked up you can run the fridge off the tractor or?

When loading or unloading do you keep the fridge on or just ask the customer what they require?

Leaving the loaded trailer back at port ( obviously leave on ) but anything you need to flick or press as you drop it?

Thank you for to anyone who reply’s much appreciated! :smiley:

You won’t get any consistent answers to these questions because there are so many variables eg. customer requirements, load type, outside temperature etc. You should ask the staff at the place you’re driving for as they’ll know what their customer requires. Some places are ■■■■ about having the box pre-chilled before loading, others don’t give a toss. As a general rule if I’m loading frozen I’ll pre-chill the box about 30 mins out if I know it’s straight on a bay when I arrive. If I know there’ll be a wait then I won’t set it running until I get there as there’s enough time to get the temp down.

Stuff like plants and fruit I don’t bother turning it on until I get there. You don’t even need it running at this time of the year but just do it anyway to keep the customer quiet and you need to be aware that some customers may want a print out from the fridge to prove you’ve had it running for the entire journey and the correct temp set. It’s rare but it does happen.

Watch out when reversing under a fridge and check for the electric cable. If it’s connected then there’s a high risk of trapping it in between the trailer and unit as you reverse under and the resulting crack/pop noises and possible small firework display won’t make for a pleasant day :laughing: .

Ask the staff at the place you’re driving for and the other drivers who work there. That is your best bet. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comments. Few questions I’d like answering though.

Collection of a loaded fridge trailer off the port which will be on. When I hook up to the
Tractor do I need to flick anything on the fridge controls because I’m now hooked up to a tractor or just leave it on as is.

When the dropping on a bay and attaching the loading bay electrical lead do I need to flick anything on the fridge to say it’s now going on electric power or just keep the fridges engine on?

I’m sure I have seen a switch from engine to auxiliary on some fridges that’s all.

Yeah there is a switch for that. Just ask the guys where you’re driving at. They’re simple enough to figure out though.