Newbie class 2 question

Hi all,

I’ve been reading this forum since I sent off for my provisional license and really appreciate all the advice on here, especially ROG’s guide on getting started.

I’ve recently passed my hgv theory, hazard perception and cpc module 2 and started phoning around training schools recommended on ROG’s guide. The only thing is is, now it’s getting to the training stage I’m starting to have cold feet for a few reasons: one being, I haven’t got any driving experience on my CV so finding a job as a new pass class 2 driver is worrying me - and the second being… I’ve recently found out I can get my dumper ticket training for free and then go and work on the HS2 rail as a labourer, laying kerbs, track, digging trenches etc but I might be able to slowly work my way up to 360 excavator driving and then maybe even dozer driving. The wages and hours are more or less the same as a class 2 driver, £10.80 per hour with 10-12 hour shifts, but it’s a guaranteed job so I’m really unsure what to do.

I’m in Birmingham and have been phoning a few HGV driving agencies around, but they said they can’t really offer much advice on the job market for a new pass as work changes on a week by week basis which I can understand…and I won’t be able to do my class 2 test until mid August at the earliest. So it’s a bit of a gamble.

If anyone in Birmingham knows a bit about what it’s like getting a job as a class 2 new pass I’d really appreciate it…or if anyone has left the rail to work as an HGV driver / vice versa / I’d really appreciate any info

Again, big thanks for the advice
Ollie

Hi . I am in a very similar situation as you . Started using forum this time last year. Decided I wanted change of career. (20yrs as a mechanic)Done all theory and mod 2 and have been luckily enough to score a job for a builders merchant with the offer of driving for them as soon as I have passed . . Only you can decide which way you want to go (hgv or dumper) which would you prefer? I have no previous driving jobs on my cv but sometimes you got to take a chance and see what comes up.
I have learnt over the years its not all about the money ,you got to be happy ,as long as my wages cover my bills now I don’t care. I’m currently doing yard work and driving a large van for the merchant and wondering why I stuck it as a mechanic so long !can’t wait to be out driving more.

Hi mate, thanks for replying. I’d rather do hgv driving, especially jobs like moving parcels around from depot to depot for companies like hermes / yodel but I can imagine jobs like that are gold dust…I think it’s called trunking but not 100% sure. But you’re right about taking a gamble mate…it’s just tempting as there are quite a few jobs on the rail / street works and I was turned down delivering fridges for AO for their self employed driver job because of having no driving experience my CV, so it’s made me over cautious

Cheers,
Ollie

As for which way you want to go, HGV or dumper driver that’s your call.

But for driving experience it’s not a big issue. Sign on with an agency and you will get plenty of work. Some good and some bad unfortunately [emoji23]

But most companies that use agencies don’t really care in my experience. And you will learn as you go.

Just decide which way you wanna go my friend

Hi I’m in Solihull and passed my class 2 in October last year, within a week of getting my license back from DVLA I got a class 2 job and even turned another one down, I’m on my second class 2 job now as I didn’t much like the first one (parcel company) and to be honest this “ how can I get experience “ has passed because company’s can’t get enough drivers now and if you look at indeed there’s loads of “newbie drivers welcome “

The below job near Birmingham for HGV Class 2 was posted today on indeed.co.uk

HGV Class 2 Drivers
Blue Arrow - Cannock WS11 8JH
£35,000 a year - Permanent
Are you looking for a full time job working directly with a company

Blue Arrow are proud to be working in partnership with a well-known food distributor based in Cannock. We are currently looking for HGV Class 2 drivers for a genuine straight to permanent role with a starting salary of £35,000 per year.

The routes are across the West Midlands and vary daily with new and regular customers, meaning there’s a good mix of variety and familiarity,

This is a multi-drop role with no more than 10 drops maximum, including handball (you will not just be sat behind a wheel).

All Trucks are all loaded with Cages so you will need to be able to roll the cages off the tail lift.
Full training will be given and you will be buddied up with a driver for the first 2 weeks to learn the role which will be paid.

You will be representing the company and dealing with the customers face to face.
You will be placed on a contracted standard 48 hour a week with overtime paid at time and a half.
You are required to work 5 out of 7 days a week however they do not operate on a Sunday and at present they work very few Saturdays so you will be working Monday to Friday.
All trucks are all automatic trucks that vary from age the oldest trucks are 3 years old.
You will be offered a full time contact with the company after you have completed a successful interview and driving assessment.

Reasons to Apply:

Straight to perm role no temp to perm you will be employed by the company
£35,000 per year basic salary
Time and half paid as overtime after 48 hours worked in a week.
New Pass drivers welcome
Immediate starts available
Full time work
Full uniform is provided

Ideal Candidate Must Have:

HGV Category C licence - (with no more than 6 points)
In date Digital Tacho and CPC card.
Be reliable and hardworking

How To Apply:

Click APPLY to register or call us on 01283 537660 for more information. Alternatively, text HGVPERM to 07881333336.

uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=hgv%20clas … 0646221cc2

I’m going to go with the super boring but perhaps logical response?

If you have the oppurtunity for free dumper training and you’re not tied into a contract of paying it back if you leave within a certain amount of time, I would go with that, as it’s free and you have nothing to lose.

You have 2 years from memory to pass your HGV practical tests from the date of the theory pass certificate - So if you take the dumper training and find it isn’t for you, those theory pass certificates are still waiting in the drawer at home for you. I can’t imagine practical training costs would increase much in 2 years but perhaps that’s tough to say based on fuel and insurance costs for the trainer?

If you take the dumper training and then go with the HGV stuf in the end, do the plant tickets expire if you don’t actively use them? Would any employer of plant operators want to see previous experience before giving you a job?

Lastly, Trucks all have roofs and windows. I’ve seen some small dumpers with no roof - Hardly an issue in the summer but when it rains, would it make the job miserable? Not sure what sort of size dumper you’re talking about.
Do you mean this type:

Or this type:

dumper.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys.

It’s both dumpers mate, but I’d probably be starting on the smaller forward tipping dumper (with no roof). The rail do give you a full hi-vis waterproof uniform though and a hard hat (to keep the rain off :laughing: ), but yea…working in frost and rain laying kerbs / steels. The dumper tickets don’t expire though, only the cscs card does which is easy enough to renew after 5 years (it’s just a 50 question health and safety test).

The guaranteed job on the rail is what’s tempting me… but as you say I’ve got 2 years to pass the hgv practicals so no massive pressure. Maybe working on the rail as a dumper driver might look good on my cv when I start to go for new pass class 2 work? Not sure if employers see it that way? The rear tipping dumper (2nd pic) is massive, it’s like a class 2 hgv, so it might help.

Thanks guys