Retraining advice

Hello all. I am a 55yr old who is looking to retrain as a HGV driver.
I am based in the Wigan/Manchester area and have been looking at Red Rose, Ben Hughes as potential options. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of these or other training schools in this area.
I am looking at around £1800 for a package to get my Cat C along with driver CPC etc. I would appreciate any advice/thoughts on the subject.
Thanks a lot. Tony.

Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question:
Have you checked out the forum sponsor :bulb: :question:

Peter Smythe training has an excellent pass rate and highly recommended by Trucknet users plus the TN discount and accommodation is sorted out for you so a residential course is advisable.

100% recommend Peter Smythe Transport Training got me through Cat C and Cat CE both first time brilliant staff and instructors

There you go Tony , see what I mean , past candidates can’t be wrong.

I used Red Rose for class 2 and class 1.
Faultless service.
Cheap enough as well.
I spent £1900 total. That included my medical and theory tests etc.
I did the medical and theory side of it myself.
What I think is a good part of the way they operate is they do a driving assessment first and price you on the hours required.
Keeps the cost down if you are a competent driver.
The class 2 trucks are all new dafs, the class 1 units are 10 years old.
I met 3 instructors and they were all spot on.
They are an approved test centre as well, so you train for the manoeuvres in the same setting as you’ll do them on your test. Really helped put my mind at ease with the reverse to be fair.

These thoughts are in no way intended to discourage you from you’re plans to retrain as an HGV driver but what expectations do you have from gaining a cat C licence.
Do you actually have any commercial driving experience such as van / 7.5 multi drop work.
I ask these questions because for the most part if you’re plan is to secure work from agencies to gain experience most cat C work will be either pallet or food distribution multi drop work.
Most likely you can expect drop ranges between 3 and 15. It’s unlikely you’ll be driving across the country to one location and back if that’s what you expecting.

Thanks for all the replies.
In answer to some questions;
I have van driving experience and some 7.5 multidrop, though that was many years ago.
I am not expecting much to begin with, but I am looking for a new career and am happy to do agency work initially.
I have been an actor for many years so am used to being in and out of work. I have an actor mate who is class one and it works well for him. He drives with agency’s and then if he gets an acting job, he takes time out to do it.
It can’t be any worse than freezing ur ■■■■ off on a building site, can it?

If you’re working on a building site and have done multi drop in the past get your lessons booked. Wasn’t
sure if you were like a 55 year old office worker or something expecting a leisurely drive down the motorway and back.

trevorking1964:
I used Red Rose for class 2 and class 1.
Faultless service.
Cheap enough as well.
I spent £1900 total. That included my medical and theory tests etc.
I did the medical and theory side of it myself.
What I think is a good part of the way they operate is they do a driving assessment first and price you on the hours required.
Keeps the cost down if you are a competent driver.
The class 2 trucks are all new dafs, the class 1 units are 10 years old.
I met 3 instructors and they were all spot on.
They are an approved test centre as well, so you train for the manoeuvres in the same setting as you’ll do them on your test. Really helped put my mind at ease with the reverse to be fair.

+1. I live in Warrington & used RR for C and CE. Excellent.

Truckertony:
Hello all. I am a 55yr old who is looking to retrain as a HGV driver.
I am based in the Wigan/Manchester area and have been looking at Red Rose, Ben Hughes as potential options. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of these or other training schools in this area.
I am looking at around £1800 for a package to get my Cat C along with driver CPC etc. I would appreciate any advice/thoughts on the subject.
Thanks a lot. Tony.

XPO have an apprentice scheme .Check their website .They are looking for Leigh trainees.Give it a go wont cost you a penny

svgzone:
If you’re working on a building site and have done multi drop in the past get your lessons booked. Wasn’t
sure if you were like a 55 year old office worker or something expecting a leisurely drive down the motorway and back.

Why not. Carryfast did! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve gone with D Day over in Nantwich, not too far from you £1200 for mod 4 and practical/training.

Good luck mate