Class 2 Query

Hi all,

I currently work as a professional door-opener and wheel-turner for a north-east bus firm and have recently passed my class 2.

Class 1 training is up to the cosh at anywhere local until the end of July, for one reason or another.

Is there any decent work on Class 2 that would be valuable for Class 1 experience, or anything which is interesting (nights out, any sort of distance) that’s doing the rounds at the moment (generally or NE based)? Or am I worth just doing my own thing until I can get my class 1 training sorted and not bothering with the class 2.

Thanks.

Jamie MP:
Hi all,

Is there any decent work on Class 2 that would be valuable for Class 1 experience,

Others may disagree with this but in terms of driving a class 1 over 2 probably not, in terms of navigation, procedures, load security, Tacho’s, tail lifts, Cab layout controls and numerous other things yes most definitely.
Trucks don’t have routes, and chances are you’ll not get as much support when you start driving HGV’s as you have when you start on the buses.
Rock up for a class one job can’t open the lockers, use the ratchet straps or operate the tail lift - you are going to be in for an interesting day. If you really want get ready for class 1 I would suggest you start with some class 2 trunking and as soon as you’re happy with that get yourself on a class 2 multi drop job, pallet delivery, brakes, 3663/Bidvest etc.
Don’t underestimate the difference between a class 2 and a bus. You’ll already know the difference between driving a full double deck and an empty one, some loaded class 2 will be as heavy again and while the ‘passengers’ may be quieter they may need some assistance getting out.

I’ve personally seen former bus drivers who have tried to come straight onto to class one most of whom I’ve not seen again the class 2 is not just a bus with no windows. I would say 6 months on class 2 would be adequate for most and you’ll probably still struggle with only 6 months on the class 2, but you’ll probably make it to the end of your first shift in a class 1.

I’ve only done class 2 but it will get you tacho and hours experience, checking loads and Manoj wrong onto docks etc or crap unloading points! Good luck!

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

spacemanZ10:
I’ve only done class 2 but it will get you tacho and hours experience, checking loads and Manoj wrong onto docks etc or crap unloading points! Good luck!

Meant manoeuvring onto docks!

If you’re intent on getting your Class 1 I’d suggest just focussing on that, as getting Class 1 work as a new pass will present the same difficulty as getting Class 2 work as a new pass.

For example, I’d been driving Class two for about 12 years when I passed my Class 1; “Congratulations” said the agency who’d been supplying me with Class 2 work, before adding “… but we can’t get you any Class 1 work until you’ve had your licence for two years.”

I did my class 1 without driving any class 2 other than my training and test.
Kept my gob shut at work, didn’t wanna drive class 2 for them.

I moved from driving buses for Go North East onto class 1, no hassle, I would wait and save for your class 1, stay driving the buses, if you really want to get onto class 2 work have a look at some of these that I’ve seen recently taking drivers on

CF recovery
Ramage
ADR agency doing class 2 with Co-op Birtley
Biffa at Wallsend
Lots of agencies looking, just take what they say with a shovel of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk