Quit sales start driving

I am based in the Warrington area and travel 20k per annum to work which is in a sales office. I currently earn £45k but i spend £7k of this on fuel, repairs, etc etc.
I would like to take up driving and would look at a class 2 or tipper. I think Class 1 would be step to far.
I currently work 37 hours a week but travel another 14 hours a week so in affect 50 hours. I would happily earn £35k doing the driving. Is this possible and is it hard to get jobs in the area i am in?
i have had enough of the pressure of sales and why i can afford to i fancy a change.
Any advice is appreciated.
Is there a particular way i should approach lessons etc or route i need to go down.
Is it possible to go down the digger/JCB route or Fork lift. I want a change and like the idea

Col81:
I would happily earn £35k doing the driving.

So would most drivers I know, very few I’ve met actually achieve that kind of money

Col81:
have had enough of the pressure of sales a

No shortage of pressure in many driving jobs

Col81:
Is it possible to go down the digger/JCB route or Fork lift. I want a change and like the idea

FLT and Telehandler courses are relatively inexpensive compared to truck training, a “JCB Digger” course won’t be cheap, I believe the training takes about 10 days but don’t quote me on that.

Either way, if you fancy making a change, go for it, but don’t believe the advertising hype about wages which some companies use to sell truck training.

If you did do your Class 1 then Sainsbury’s at Haydock has a salary of c.£37k a year with realistic earnings of around £40k. Possible earnings can top £50k without killing yourself

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Thank you, the fact is in sales in you don’t sell you don’t earn i would be a lot happier taking a certain wage whilst working hard. I will look into the fork lift route but i presume this would be a £25k job and probably nights

Hi, a few things to factor in.

1. Getting some experience. A good wage might not happen immediately.
  2. Hours will probably be longer and may include shifts and weekends.
  3. Bear in mind that you take off a suit and put on a hi-vis and all of a sudden people tend to look down on you and no it doesn’t matter what qualifications you have or what you did before.
  4. The solitude.

It definitely isn’t for everyone.

It’s a tough transition from your current work environment.

Firstly, you’ll not earn 35k a year on class 2. At least, not unless you live to work. Class 1 you can, but you’ll be working long anti social hours and as has been said, over weekends and Bank Holidays. If you go down the supermarket work route, you maxi ise your earning potential, but you’re not likely to get this work as a newly qualified driver, so factor in 2 years on potentially ■■■■■ money first. The other thing with supermarket and all “top end logistic companies” is the ■■■■■■■■ Expect to be overseen in all you do and the arse covering is legendary- hi viz is just the start.

As has been said, you’ll also go from respectable and intelligent, to a scruffy, thick ■■■■ in the eyes of some recidivistic folk.

But if you want it, go for it. Talk to your family first though. You’re likely to be out of the house 50 or 60 hours a week plus commute time. It ain’t fun for the family.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Col81:
I would happily earn £35k doing the driving.

This firm will give you a new Mercedes and £35,000. All you have to do is drive the Class 1 lorry for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. There’s no loading or unloading, just arrive on site and the warehouse staff will take care of all that for you.
uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=hgv%20clas … 4d69e9e007

Truckulent:
It’s a tough transition from your current work environment.

Firstly, you’ll not earn 35k a year on class 2.

Don’t know the deal for the area but it is possible in some areas, you’ll have to hunt the jobs down to find them but there are some that will pay well for sensible hours.

Experience will help but again not exclusive

A good point by Truckulent about commute times, for example as day driver and you have 9 hours off for daily rest , you have to factor in the time for commuting, having a shower/bath/ meal/ watch tv and being sociable with the family as all this eats in to the time , the tachograph and lorry gets a full 9 hours off but you do not , so if you go to bed and up early in the morning, it could be literally a couple hours sleep then the next day drive for 10 hours and be on duty for 15 hours but this is legal.
If you don’t sleep well you will be knackered out and maybe make you an unsafe driver.

with a sales background, you have transferrable skills, I guess you’ve thought about trying a different sales job?

Tarmaceater:
A good point by Truckulent about commute times, for example as day driver and you have 9 hours off for daily rest , you have to factor in the time for commuting, having a shower/bath/ meal/ watch tv and being sociable with the family as all this eats in to the time , the tachograph and lorry gets a full 9 hours off but you do not , so if you go to bed and up early in the morning, it could be literally a couple hours sleep then the next day drive for 10 hours and be on duty for 15 hours but this is legal.
If you don’t sleep well you will be knackered out and maybe make you an unsafe driver.

I don’t get the whole 9 hours off scenario either. It is supposed to be the absolute limit, but you will get companies essentially insisting that you come in exactly nine hours after you finished. I can sort of understand it being an option if you are sleeping in the truck, but only on a voluntary basis.

As you say, just doing the essentials such as as getting home, cooking / eating and having a wash and you may need to make your lunch, fill your flask the next day too. That leaves 5-6 hours if you are lucky for a sleep and generally this may be stretching it if you have just filled your face. Who has their dinner and goes straight to bed?

Noremac:

3. Bear in mind that you take off a suit and put on a hi-vis and all of a sudden people tend to look down on you and no it doesn’t matter what qualifications you have or what you did before.
  4. The solitude.

I did what you’re thinking of doing 15 years ago. The above quote is very accurate. IMO class 1 work easier than class 2. It’s easy to get into but not so easy to get out of. Try getting a sales job after 3 years driving an HGV. Like Noremac said it’s not for everyone. Definitely Noremac’s number 3 when I came out of print sales to drive this was a real shock to me.

svgzone:

Noremac:

4. The solitude.

I did what you’re thinking of doing 15 years ago. The above quote is very accurate. IMO class 1 work easier than class 2. It’s easy to get into but not so easy to get out of. Try getting a sales job after 3 years driving an HGV. Like Noremac said it’s not for everyone. Definitely Noremac’s number 3 when I came out of print sales to drive this was a real shock to me.

Hi there. I’m currently 31 years old and in print sales. I’m doing my Class 2 in August, and then Class 1 after that. I’m not looking to leave my job in print for a few years yet but wanted to get my HGV licences as it’s something I’ve always wanted to. do.

I’ve been working weekends for a brewery on van deliveries since last October and have used that to save up for the licences whilst getting some experience to make sure I’d actually like driving for a living. Whilst it has only been a day or 2 per week, I’ve really enjoyed it and am looking forward to learning Class 2 in a couple of months.

Out of interest, if you could go back, would you have gone down the HGV road again?

Like you it was something I’d always wanted to do. Getting good at the job especially class one does take some time, passing the ‘test’ is just the start, as you will learn if you continue. I did enjoy it initially and there is a shortage now and better money is on the way, I rode the down slope in pay and conditions which probably didn’t help. Like I said it’s easy to get into but the hard to get out of.
I think if you’re in the job longer than a few years getting out becomes more difficult, problem is it’ll probably take that long to get competent. Do I regret doing it no - would I have gone down the HGV route knowing what I know now - no.
Get the licences tick the box would be my advice, you won’t in reality be any good - no one is - but it’s something to fall back on if needs be. You can always do HGV’s at the weekend (subject to drivers hours) :wink: Hope I’ve not put a dampener on your enthusiasm, I can just about remember that.
Good luck with what you decide and have fun learning the class 2 in August.

Thanks for the reply. It’s much appreciated.

Yes, I can definitely understand that it could have a novelty effect for a while. Then when that wears off you are stuck.

My thoughts are as you say, I get it as a back up and maybe try to put it to use with weekend work - possibly with the brewery I work Sundays for in vans at the moment, as they run lorries also.

What sort of work are you doing at the moment?

Goff118:
Thanks for the reply. It’s much appreciated.

Yes, I can definitely understand that it could have a novelty effect for a while. Then when that wears off you are stuck.

My thoughts are as you say, I get it as a back up and maybe try to put it to use with weekend work - possibly with the brewery I work Sundays for in vans at the moment, as they run lorries also.

What sort of work are you doing at the moment?

That sounds like a good plan and you’ll probably get a bit more support from the brewery you already work at than your average new pass guy who’s rocking up with the agy.

I’ve got a fairly easy gig right now, I work days, last week I did a 14 a 13 an 11 and a 10.5.
I drive class 1 with a heigh lift roof trailer 15.9, I do board multi drop and oddly for an ex print rep paper reals. These are real beasts around 8 foot high and weigh in at around 4 tonnes each. Six of these suckers and you’re at max weight. They’re stood up like giant bog rolls - My average driving time for each day around 8 and bit. It’s a mix of city motorway and country driving, typically I’ll be driving through both rush hours.
Maybe that gives you an idea of what the job is like. Ask if you have any questions.

Thanks for that information.

The brewery work is in high demand at the moment after a quiet year for obvious reasons. Hopefully the opportunity for some class 2 work will still be there when I’ve passed. That’d be a good way for me to learn, as I know the delivery part of the job and a lot of the delivery locations. It’d just be in a bigger vehicle.