Youtube videos.... have you ever wondered

Pick your favorite YouTuber. Any YouTuber…

Ask yourself when they pull up at a destination why they always seem to look up at the tacho and press a button.

Now, as we all know the tacho always auto defaults to “other work” when the engine is switched off. So what possible reason would they have to press a button on the tacho?

Could it perhaps be because they’re banging it in break the minute they stop?

Could it mean they’re undoing straps, doing the rear doors, Loading, unloading while they’re on break?

Nah, it couldn’t be that!

There MUST be a plausible explanation why they always have to hit the tacho when they stop.

Guys that are driving know what I’m talking about.

New guys will have no idea…

So here’s the low down -

You’ll be expected to ‘bang it on break’ the minute you stop. You’ll be doing the curtains or unloading on a break.

The second your truck stops, the tacho defaults to ‘other work’ which is absolutely correct, the reason they’re pushing buttons out of camera shot is because they’re pushing it to ‘break’

Lol… you’ll get used to all of this illegal activity which is considered completely normal.

Don’t forget, when it goes pear shaped it’s you that’ll be hung out to dry.

Now watch those videos again and see what happens when they stop.

Build5:
Now, as we all know the tacho always auto defaults to “other work” when the engine is switched off. So what possible reason would they have to press a button on the tacho?

No, as we all (well, those of us who actually do the job) know, the power-off behaviour of the tachograph is dependent on how it has been set up. Some default to Other Work, some default to Break. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure the correct mode is selected.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh - and they might well press the button to check on drive time remaining in the current 4.5 hour period as they arrive anyway, so they can begin planning when/where to take their next Break. As you may discover when you’ve been doing the job a while, not all lorries show this information on the dash display.

Roymondo:
Oh - and they might well press the button to check on drive time remaining in the current 4.5 hour period as they arrive anyway, so they can begin planning when/where to take their next Break. As you may discover when you’ve been doing the job a while, not all lorries show this information on the dash display.

Lol…

Okay :slight_smile:

Maybe some of our favourite youtubers will start to show us why they’re banging the tacho the minute they stop.

Come on guys, let’s not be dumb. We all know why they’re doing it.

Don’t you think newbies need to know what’s happening.

Roymondo:

Think you’ll find that should come up on the dash. But hey ho!

Let’s pretend it isn’t what we all know.

Break?.. what do you mean you’re stopping! You just tipped, why do you need a break■■? Get moving!

Tell me I’m wrong.

See, if I’d just worked for a little outfit you’d have a point. I’ve driven for nationals, agencies and, local.

Best firm was a little local outfit out of south manchester delivering their own stuff. Only problem was the pay. They were as straight as an arrow. Everyone else, bent as a nine bob note

Roymondo:

Build5:

No, as we all (well, those of us who actually do the job) know, the power-off behaviour of the tachograph is dependent on how it has been set up. Some default to Other Work, some default to Break. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure the correct mode is selected.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Lol…

Mate, seriously…lol

Some of us who “do the job” know full well it autos to cross hammers the minute you turn the key.

Unless you’re running a Warber or some other third world truck?

Every single truck I’ve driven defaults to cross hammers the second you turn off the ignition.

Maybe you’ve only driven for one company that works different. I’ve worked for several. Every single one defaults to cross hammers.

Mate, seriously, let’s tell the newbies what to really expect before they spend thousands of pounds.

Be honest.

Build5:

Who is “being dumb”? I’ve driven any number of lorries whose tachograph defaulted to Break the moment the ignition was switched off (we have a few on our fleet of otherwise identical vehicles). Anyone who is regularly (or even sometimes) in a different lorry each day will routinely do it.

Roymondo:

Build5:

Who is “being dumb”? I’ve driven any number of lorries whose tachograph defaulted to Break the moment the ignition was switched off (we have a few on our fleet of otherwise identical vehicles). Anyone who is regularly (or even sometimes) in a different lorry each day will routinely do it.

Prove it.

Post a video showing it.

You’re saying I’m working for weird firms doing weird things on their tachos.

Mate, you know I’m not lying. Why would you defend something you know happens every day.

No wonder the TC’s have such a field day with drivers.

It’s so sad.

Build5:
Every single truck I’ve driven defaults to cross hammers the second you turn off the ignition.

Maybe you’ve only driven for one company that works different. I’ve worked for several. Every single one defaults to cross hammers.

Just remind us how long you’ve been driving commercial vehicles. 12 months…?

Roymondo:

Build5:

My last company had all the tachos set to default to break when ignition was turned off

New pastures

Roymondo:

Build5:

12 months, 12 years… what’s the difference?

Several companies. Some very large, some small. What I’ve seen has been a rude awakening.

So, because I’ve only driven for 12 months you’re saying what I’ve seen that is common in the industry is wring?

Mate, you know I’m not lying so you’re attacking my experience. You’re still not saying I’m wrong

blue estate:

Roymondo:

Build5:

My last company had all the tachos set to default to break when ignition was turned off

New pastures

That’s grim but doesn’t surprise me.

Good for you for looking for something better.

blue estate:

Roymondo:

Build5:

New pastures

Did you ever wonder why?

When in your career EVER have you immediately been on break without having to do something?

Security, check in, paperwork, curtains… that’s all"work" not POA

New guys -

Just be very aware you’ll be breaking lots of rules the minute you start. These aren’t little “rule breaks” like in your last job. You’ll be dealing with the police, Driving Vehicle Standard Agency, the Traffic Commissioner. They’ll take your license off you in a heartbeat. They could even take your ordinary driving license off you as well…they don’t tell you that on youtube do they?

You’re risking so much. Be very aware of that.

Roymondo:

Build5:

Why would it auto default to break?

Engine off , card in- walk around checks…break?

Arrive at destination - engine off…break? Seriously■■?

No curtains, doors, security, paperwork…

Jesus! That’s one messed up company. But I bet they pay you an extra 50p an hour :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Build5:

Roymondo:

Build5:

Why would it auto default to break?

Engine off , card in- walk around checks…break?

Arrive at destination - engine off…break? Seriously■■?

No curtains, doors, security, paperwork…

Jesus! That’s one messed up company. But I bet they pay you an extra 50p an hour :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

No, no and no
I always turned mine to other work !
They were set to default break for WTD purposes only and nothing else !

New pastures

My last motor in my old job used to default to break, nothing illegal here and company were as bang on and straight as they come. What difference does it make to you what they are doing anyway. If you run straight 100% of the time then well done and good for you but let others do what works for them, its their license and not yours.

So in answer to your question, nah i’ve never really wondered because I honestly don’t give a toss what they are doing along with 99.9% of others. Anybody on here with a bit of experience knows the score in this job.

Build5:

Roymondo:

Build5:

12 months, 12 years… what’s the difference?

Several companies. Some very large, some small. What I’ve seen has been a rude awakening.

So, because I’ve only driven for 12 months you’re saying what I’ve seen that is common in the industry is wring?

Mate, you know I’m not lying so you’re attacking my experience. You’re still not saying I’m wrong

“Mate”, you’re talking out of your back passage. I’ve only been doing the job 15 years and still regard myself as a relatively inexperienced driver compared to many on here. I accept that my 12 months comment might have been insensitive - your own posts hereabouts indicate you’ve actually been doing the job for more like 12 weeks! I responded to the specific questions you posed in your OP, based entirely on what I know and do myself every day at work, and why I do it. Take it or leave it.

I have my retest for Class 2 on Thursday, So been looking around a lot for potential jobs, what work will I be doing, what will be expected so all these types of threads are useful,… but OP here in this case still being very new to the job, I would say that while you make many good points, you have todo long hours, the pay should be far better and bosses will ask you todo things you are not supposed to, but you seem very bitter, you should look for different work or maybe HGV driving just isn’t for you?

Build5:

Roymondo:

Build5:

Prove it.

Post a video showing it.

You’re saying I’m working for weird firms doing weird things on their tachos.

Mate, you know I’m not lying. Why would you defend something you know happens every day.

No wonder the TC’s have such a field day with drivers.

It’s so sad.

You really are showing how ignorant you are. A tacho when originally calibrated and set up can be set to default to whichever activity the operator specifies. Whether that be other work, break or POA.

On Stoneridge tacho’s this can be changed simply with the operators company card, which I have changed the default activity on key on and key off with the company card.

I’m not saying you are 100% incorrect in your assumption as it may well be the case but it also may well not be the case either.

Nothing is ever as black and white as it seems sometimes.

I’ve driven two different rental units that my company hired in that went to break automatically as soon as ignition turned off. Managed to log about 4hrs of break in one shift as I hadn’t realised