Where to start....?

Hello everyone, I’m a 32 year old woman looking to do all training & tests with the Peter smythe company in the near future.

I will have the funds to do everything including class 1 but is this something I should do or should I gain some class 2 experience first? (I personally would prefer to do it all together so not to pick up bad habits).

Iv been a driver since I was 18, always had a clean licence and have been a courier for 2 different companies (hgv is a whole diff level I know).
My late partner was a hgv driver for years including artics and I would go on jobs with him where he would explain bits (naughty I know!).
It would be my absolute dream to carry on doing what we set out as a team,

Iv been doing a free online lgv theory practice test which has the usual 100 questions and have been marking in the 90s for the last 1-2 months,

Peter smythes centre is around 170 miles away but I want to go the extra distance in the knowledge that it’s a good reputable company (and I have previously spoken to Peter himself). Many thanks

Oh p.s does peter smythe company include all of the theory training before tests or should I purchase this and complete it ready for the test? (Sorry I’m a bit ditzy lol)

Have you checked out the link in my signature especially the FREE 1000+ theory questions link in it :question:

ROG:
Have you checked out the link in my signature especially the FREE 1000+ theory questions link in it :question:

Not really understanding your reply Rog? I just wanted a bit of direction with my above post. :slight_smile:

Lou88:

ROG:

Not really understanding your reply Rog? I just wanted a bit of direction with my above post. :slight_smile:

I thought you might like more theory Qs

2 thoughts
Do C then CE ASAP as still in training mode
OR
Do C then get a little experience before doing CE
Both have merit so it is up to the individual

Lots of helpful stuff which many members contributed to in the link in my signature below

Best to ask the school direct to see what can be included. Office hours 7.30 - 5pm Monday to Friday. Speak with Paul or Tracey and you will get sorted. 01623 555661

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

What direction would you like ?

I am a female been driving artics a few years now mainly tramping I went straight from Cat C ( class 2 ) to C+E ( class 1 or artic ) hardly driven cat c

animal:
What direction would you like ?

I am a female been driving artics a few years now mainly tramping I went straight from Cat C ( class 2 ) to C+E ( class 1 or artic ) hardly driven cat c

Good afternoon, Thankyou so much for responding! Iv had my drivers licence since 18 (I’m 32 now) I was planning on aiming for class 1 shortly before losing my partner to covid and I would still like to pursue this. He taught me a few basics as he was a hgv driver for years. I’m getting in the 90s on the mock theory tests out of 100 questions but haven’t found anywhere I can practice the hazard perception.

I would like to know if I should practice all the theory before going to Peter smythe driving school or if it comes included (I prefer to be well prepared) the school is around 170 miles from myself so I would ideally like to take in as much info and practice that I possibly can. I hope to go from the basic car licence (manual) to class 1, I’m not sure about the waits inbetween. I have always absolutely loved driving and been a courier for years although hgv does not compare. I simply want more from what I love most. Kindest regards

Just download the app cost like a fiver and whenever your on a break or watching TV and its advert just open it and click coach mode it will cycle the question until you hit 100percent take your theory you will pass in half the time it says and it will be a breeze

BTW I don’t know why people are so dumb ofc do your theory yourself, medical, application when you land at Pete training you want be focusing on driving ask them the price and look around too I passed 3 year ago not with them as I live far away

BTW it is much easier now being a woman than it was 15 years ago when I done it

I was riding motorbikes aged 17 ( late 70’s ) then car was a courier then thing that taught me was how to watch the road anticipate I was all over the country so did get to know the road network I also drove some 7.5t ( c1 ) you had to watch out for weight limits but also bridge hight as there are a few that you couldn’t go under with a 7.5t vehicle

Good luck with it you will be fine the HPT I found was more like a computer game as the computer decides what is the hazard you might think something else best advice I can give you is click then count to 5 click again keep doing this & you should pass it fine

animal:
BTW it is much easier now being a woman than it was 15 years ago when I done it

I was riding motorbikes aged 17 ( late 70’s ) then car was a courier then thing that taught me was how to watch the road anticipate I was all over the country so did get to know the road network I also drove some 7.5t ( c1 ) you had to watch out for weight limits but also bridge hight as there are a few that you couldn’t go under with a 7.5t vehicle

Good luck with it you will be fine the HPT I found was more like a computer game as the computer decides what is the hazard you might think something else best advice I can give you is click then count to 5 click again keep doing this & you should pass it fine

Thankyou for the advice & encouragement, that sounds exactly like myself with the years of car driving but wanting more. There’s other small parts like what sat nav is best, my late partner had a sniper or snicker? I can’t quite remember. Is there many women in the job or are they still seen as a rarity? I’m in my 30s but look like Iv just hit my twenties and am only little at 5 ft 4 :slight_smile:

TruckDriverBen:
Just download the app cost like a fiver and whenever your on a break or watching TV and its advert just open it and click coach mode it will cycle the question until you hit 100percent take your theory you will pass in half the time it says and it will be a breeze

BTW I don’t know why people are so dumb ofc do your theory yourself, medical, application when you land at Pete training you want be focusing on driving ask them the price and look around too I passed 3 year ago not with them as I live far away

I haven’t got a functioning phone at present so am relying on a windows laptop, all the medical and everything is included as a full package at peters but I want to go in with as much knowledge as I can so I don’t feel under pressure :smiley: Iv been getting in the 90s our of 100 multiple choice questions on the mock for the last couple of months in around 20 mins however so the more I stick at practice (for now) the better chance I have.

There are quite a few women drivers now it is not unusual to see 1 driving there are plenty on the forum as well

BTW you are 6" taller than me so not a problem & know what you mean about looking young at 24 I was taken for 16 ( well the boys gate at football match :smiley: :smiley: )

You will be fine with PST stop worrying they will take you through everything there are quite a few on here that have passed with PST if you want to scroll through or search & see

Good Luck which ever way you choose, personally I say try and do them both close together if you are planning on doing the class 1 and not a problem cashflow wise, that way you are still closer in training mode in your head, its a big step up from a car to even the little 12 ton puddle jumper I’m doing my class 2 in, the full fat Artics are an even bigger step from that so will keep you on your toes doing them closer together.

+1 on Petes, I am heading down for my resit class 2 next week and I live in Aberdeen so near 400 mile each way and I don’t regret picking them in anyway, many companies will provide excellent training, but the atmosphere at Petes is excellent, very relaxed and professional, so makes it a lot easier to get on with the training

animal:
There are quite a few women drivers now it is not unusual to see 1 driving there are plenty on the forum as well

BTW you are 6" taller than me so not a problem & know what you mean about looking young at 24 I was taken for 16 ( well the boys gate at football match :smiley: :smiley: )

You will be fine with PST stop worrying they will take you through everything there are quite a few on here that have passed with PST if you want to scroll through or search & see

You don’t know how much your message has made me feel at ease! Thankgod there are shorter women in the business lol hey I was asked for ID a couple of months ago for…paracetamol! Ah Thankyou I do hope so, I really want this for myself…it feels so right and well suited to me and I’m a self confessed road runner! I spent a whole year practicing the mere 35 questions for the car theory although I did get top marks first time, I would like to hope I get good marks this time round but with far less time practicing (more like 3 months). Thankyou so much for your kind words

Lou88 , there is nothing to worry about with a woman working in the road transport industry for the following reasons:
Men do not engage or speak to other men when waiting for hours in a waiting room at a regional distribution centre, the men will be looking at their phones and avoid any eye contact to fellow drivers.
On a night out the same, pull up to park, close the cab curtains, avoid any social interaction between other drivers.
Curtains closed, they are on social media, watching a film or video.
So when a female driver is in a waiting room or nighting out, you will not be treated any differently .
I once worked with a lady driver on Gibraltar round trips, she owned a fisherman’s cottage on the border at La Linea in Spain and did a blind side reverse on the first go at a narrow gate entrance in Gibraltar, all the male drivers burnt out their clutches on multiple attempts.

Your welcome

I have a Garmin sat nav but all personal preference tbh

Yep I use to get funny looks at first especially when I got out to open rear doors

Once out there don’t be afraid to ask for help tell them you are a new driver most will help some will give you some tips & advice take what you want throw out your head what you don’t want or need

You have nothing to worry about as said there are plenty women out there driving now

Tarmaceater:
Lou88 , there is nothing to worry about with a woman working in the road transport industry for the following reasons:
Men do not engage or speak to other men when waiting for hours in a waiting room at a regional distribution centre, the men will be looking at their phones and avoid any eye contact to fellow drivers.
On a night out the same, pull up to park, close the cab curtains, avoid any social interaction between other drivers.
Curtains closed, they are on social media, watching a film or video.
So when a female driver is in a waiting room or nighting out, you will not be treated any differently .
I once worked with a lady driver on Gibraltar round trips, she owned a fisherman’s cottage on the border at La Linea in Spain and did a blind side reverse on the first go at a narrow gate entrance in Gibraltar, all the male drivers burnt out their clutches on multiple attempts.

That’s reassuring and very much what my late partner would tell me too, I was his exception lol the reversing part is what I worry about most, I have no issues at all in a car but then hgvs are huge and the steering is back to front. Think I would be a bit too nervous for overseas travel with them driving on the opposite side of the road. Apart from that, I love every aspect of it (even the long lonely hours) pure peace in my eyes.

You will find that when you are struggling to reverse, it will be an English male driver that will sit in his cab and laugh/ roll his eyes and gesticulate to the drivers parked to his left and right and when the reversing has finished he will give a slow and sarcastic clap without getting out the cab to act as a banksman to guide you in .
It will be a foreign driver that will help out .
With reversing there is a natural tendency to overthink, one day it will suddenly be done without thinking and ignore the knuckle draggers .

Driving in Europe is free parking and much better food and meals available for commercial drivers and most outlets offer a drivers discount for meals.
France has the Routiers restaurant network which is a six course meal for a cheap set price, allow two hours for lunch and three for dinner .Converting from a right hand drive truck to a left hand truck can be mastered in a few hours so not sure why companies insist on European driving experience to drive abroad when a monkey can do it .

You do not have to apologise for being ditzy, it’s important to ask questions all the time if you are unsure about anything, when driving lorries for a living, you never stop learning about new stuff.

From how and what you written about yourself, and a positive attitude, if you had your license, I would send you abroad no problem, do you fancy a one drop in Coslada Madrid or a cushy two dropper to Antibes South of France, I have six drivers on the way to Istanbul with reloading in Bulgaria ?