My Journey - Theory - C - C+E = Job

…to become a Class 2 & then a Class 1 Driver :slight_smile:

Hi all, my story goes like this… I have been in engineering for 17 years stuck on an engraving machine in a factory with no windows that hasn’t changed since it 1st opened in 1862 and i’m not joking . www.hbsale.com ( i did the website for them & the Gaffer gave me £50 :smiling_imp: )

I have gone through every emotion in my time there, but as everyone knows Engineering is dead and its only a matter of time until the place closes. Just seems to me thet they are keeping it going till the lease runs out in 5 years and as the majority of them are in there late 50’s, I’ve got to get out.

Endowment compensation claim comes through :smiley: & i decide to go for my LGV liscence’s. So i searched the internet for driving courses ( very nearly caught out by Sterlings great offer " Free Artic course and test on passing CPC test " soon binned that , i went through quite companies that replied to me but in the end I opted for Central Transport Training in Wolverhampton, www.centraltransporttraining.co.uk anyone with experience / info about them please let me no.

Passed the medical with there Dr last sat, took 15mins £28 Bargain, my Dr wanted £98 :open_mouth: sent my forms off straight away and received my provisional entitlement Saturday.

I’d already invested in DSA theory and Hazard perceptions cd roms, so I’m ready ( I THINK ) for my theory test which they said could be anything up to 2 weeks away.

I eventually came across this Forum, boy what a read its been. I’ve gone from being very Positive to Negative thinking Hell am i doing the right thing, but I guess thats just Nerves ( I Hope ).

I think obviously reading peoples prob’s on there tests, did’nt help and then reading how difficult Newbies find it to get Work without Experience got me very worried ( does’nt sound to me like there is a shortage of LGV drivers )

But I’m sure some of you can provide me with plenty more positives to the journey i am about to embark on.

And any Help tips etc will be gratefully accepted

Will
[/url] :laughing: :smiley:

Hi wills, and welcome! :smiley:

Firstly, the theory test is not as hard as the books/DVDs/CDROMs would have you believe. :wink: (Just dont click too early on the computer game bit.)

Second, good luck with it all! :sunglasses:

cheers toploadertom, must admit on the hazard tests i was clicking for all kinds of things, was a bit concerned when it told me I was Cheating but I soon got the hang of it.

The theory is going really well after failing twice @ the beginning i’m generally hitting 33 with a couple of 35 after having the cd roms for only 5days now.

Welcome to TNUK, Wills.

Like you I was stuck in a job I didn’t like for 19 years.

Escaped 5 years ago and did a few mundane things before getting class 2 in Dec 04, then class 1 Aug 05.

Don’t know if it’s just because it is still new, but I love the driving! (but then I always did love driving cars and bikes long before i thought about HGV).

Maybe I have been lucky to get the job I have just now, which is driving Glasgow to Aberdeen and back (still not bored with the scenery after 6 months) every day. 4 days on/ 4off. No hassles, decent motors. Suits me down to the ground. So I would say to anyone thinking about it, go for it!

Al.

thanx alcraw,

that route sounds great to me, I have family who now live in Arbroath ( moved down from Peterhead ) when I do my annual trip up there to see them I am always in awe of the scenery. Instant Karma :smiley:

eventually came across this Forum, boy what a read its been. I’ve gone from being very Positive to Negative thinking Hell am i doing the right thing, but I guess thats just Nerves ( I Hope ).

YOu have good days, you have crap days, same as any job. When it’s good it is good, but when it’s crap it is crap.

Thing is people nearly always post their bad experiences. I mean if there were loads of posts saying.

Drove to drop A got loaded, parked at cafe had lunch drove to drop B then back to yard, it would get pretty boring on here. :laughing:

Hi will welcome to TruckNet UK and good
luck with your theory and training :smiley: .

Hi Will

I’m in a similar situation myself.
I work as a paint sprayer for a car manufacturer & I’ve been there nearly 8 years now. The pay is good but everyday is exactly the same, nothing different EVER happens, it is the most boring place on earth,
Its just like groundhog day in there. I’ve reached the stage where I can take no more. For my own sanity I have to get out of there.
Anyway my employer announced they need to get the headcount down & are offering an early seperation package to anyone who wants to leave.
So I’m taking it & I’m outta there!
I intend to do my class 1 & 2, I’ve had my medical (cost me £60 though!)
& I’ve got my theory a week tomorrow.

So I’m in a very similar boat to yourself mate.

Nice site you made for your boss by the way.

Thanx Convoy & Markmark ( and Good luck mate )

Got confirmation of my theory test for Monday 20th March so all should go smoothly, just around the corner from work too which is a Brucie Bonus.

Nice to get a pay off Markymark my pay too is not bad but there is no scope for improvement and we havent had an annual rise for 3 years with non forecast for the forseeable future.

We have people where I work who have asked for redundancy but have been turned down ( now bare in mind they’ve had no work & dont want to be there ) The 1 Director said to me " I won’t give anyone the satisfaction of a payoff , I’d rather just lock the doors sod em "

Oh ps the website I designed for them was done in my own time ( mug ) and up to a month ago used to work hard on it everynight to keep the google ranking high.

It will be interesting to see there face when I do hand my notice in and tell them " you do Know you don’t OWN the Website but you can BUY it off me or pay me so much a month to keep it running " :laughing:
Thats the attitude I’m faced with…so to the future I look forward :smiley:

dennisw1:
YOu have good days, you have crap days, same as any job. When it’s good it is good, but when it’s crap it is crap.

Thing is people nearly always post their bad experiences. I mean if there were loads of posts saying.

Drove to drop A got loaded, parked at cafe had lunch drove to drop B then back to yard, it would get pretty boring on here. :laughing:

Thanks Dennis, I realised that Eventually its just nerves.

You wont go far wrong with Central Transport Training. I passed class 2 7 years ago and class 1 2 weeks ago with em (both first time). Cant fault em…

Fenster:
You wont go far wrong with Central Transport Training. I passed class 2 7 years ago and class 1 2 weeks ago with em (both first time). Cant fault em…

Congrats on passing your class 1Fenster, nice to here some feedback about CTT :smiley:

Hi Wills, My advice is to consider the driving tests as a “performance” for an hour or so, if you have a good instructor who knows the examiners and the test routes, you will find it easy. Try not to be put off by the size of the vehicles, you will soon become used to them, and amazed at the places you can get them. Try and relax on your tests, I know its not that easy but after I failed my first class2, I went into the second with the attitude that every time I fail, the chances of me passing the next time increase… This worked for me on the second class two which I passed, with 8 minors and again on my class 1 (failed again first try - 16 minors !!!) but sailed through the next go with only 8 minors. Try and enjoy the driving, it is a lot of fun in a big truck, and try not to get bogged down with test worries, you will pass.

The real fun begins after you pass, if you think you are nervous before the tests , wait till you go out on your own on your first job. I was so tense on my first run, a very simple delivery of yoghurt and then a return load of Flora light, that my legs still ached two days after the trip!

To answer you question, is there work ?, yes is the answer if you go find it. I have been lucky in that my training school also run an agency and I have had plenty of days, and each job builds my confidence and experience a little more. My last job found me sitting on a loading bay in Milton keynes waiting to be “tipped” of my load of friges, the sun was shinning, I had a large mug of coffee and some apple pies and a copy of truck and driver magazine and everthing in the world was fantastic. I am definatly hooked. There is definatly a camarardery amongst class 1 drivers, I cant remember the last time anyone ever gave me a greeting in the car park of a service station, but when you step out your truck and pull on your HI VIS jacket you know you are amongst friends, - two nods and an “alright boy” despite my truck being the oldest in the park.

Keep us posted with the training and the tests and good luck.

Cheers for that Rewmer, very similar what my old man told me don’t be frightened of the size and try to enjoy it.

I can’t wait to get into the courses now, & i’ve 100% determination to suceed even if a few retests come into it.

Can just imagine how you felt on your 1st job but I bet you were on cloud 9 when you completed it!! even tho the stress & tension made your legs feel like you’d done a marathon :smiley:

On the work front i’m compiling a hit list of companies to bombard once i’ve passed my Class 2 to try & get some expierience ( part time as I’m still in full tiome work ) whilst letting them no i’m booked in to do my Class 1.
So hopefully once my Class 1 is in the bag I’ll get a full time position and be able to escape the Factory for good :laughing:

I will keep everyone up to date with my progress along the way, @ the moment I’m preparing for the Theory test as though my life depended on it . The test date is on the 20th March in Birmingham.

Welcome Wills don’t do a Daf on your test stay well clear of those kerbs, just touching one means you fail

wills:
Cheers for that Rewmer, very similar what my old man told me don’t be frightened of the size and try to enjoy it…

I keep telling the wife that but she just laughs :cry: :laughing:

Dafman:
I keep telling the wife that but she just laughs :cry: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

well 1st stage over, now I know its only the Theory test, but for some reason this morning after having no probs during the revision stage and mock tests I went to pieces ( mind block ) anyway got there and once it started I was fine.

Got 34 on the theory and 60 on the Hazard (still think you show much more awareness subconciously when your driving)
Glad that bits out of the way, now i’m looking forward to starting the real stuff class 2 training to start on the 25th of April unless there is a cancellation
I can’t wait :smiley:

Well done Wills! :sunglasses:

Keep us posted on the training mate. :wink:

well done Wills :stuck_out_tongue:
good luck with your training and test m8.
25th april must seem like years away :laughing: :laughing:

well confirmation of course start Class 2 07.00 Tuesday morning :open_mouth: And to say I can’t wat to get started is an understatement.

Just haven’t been able 2 relax, all kinds of things goin round in my head

" why am i doin this "

" I need the money for a new car "

" If i pass will I get a job "

And then to top matters my G-Dad passed away Easter Sunday ( Just after the Villa game ) And the Funeral is on MONDAY ( My Family Live in Arbroath Scotland :frowning: )

But I’m sure tho once I get into it I’ll be fine @ the end of the day I WANT THOSE 2 LICENCES

I will keep every updated on how training is going , good or bad after each day…

Till Tues Drive Safely

Wills